E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Could use some collision input

10-25-2016, 06:54 AM   #23
tcphoto
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanT335 View Post
If there was no traffic I wouldn't have been anywhere near her lol
I think you need to read that again, really? I hope that you learned a lesson and will keep a little more distance between you and the next car. Odds are, it's totaled and I hope the recent services will raise the settlement.
Appreciate 1
      10-25-2016, 07:27 AM   #24
unrulyteach
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcphoto View Post
Quote:
If there was no traffic I wouldn't have been anywhere near her lol
I think you need to read that again, really? I hope that you learned a lesson and will keep a little more distance between you and the next car. Odds are, it's totaled and I hope the recent services will raise the settlement.
I always keep a good distance so I can see ahead of the vehicle in front of me because trust me people don't know how to drive these days. They love to abuse their brakes. But op said he saw the car in front of her slowing down and he was slowing down. But if he saw the car in front of her slowing and she wasn't that should of raised a red flag for him to either switch lanes or slow down faster. Hope all is well and anyone didn't get hurt, hope everything works in his favor total or not
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2016, 11:45 AM   #25
patents
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Why did the passenger side head bag lite off? Did you have a passenger in the front seat? And what in the hell did they hook the tow cable to? Did the tow truck driver not know there is a tow hook for the front bumper?
The side airbag is not dependent on the passenger seat sensor because it also protects the rear seat passenger. There is no sensor in the rear seat; it doesn't know if someone is sitting there, so it will fire even if it knows no one is in the front seat.

It will go off if it detects a sufficient lateral force. Even though this was a frontal collision, there are often instantaneous lateral "twisting" forces. If you look at frontal offset crash tests, the side airbags almost always go off. Any hit off center will cause your head to jerk to the side.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2016, 12:24 PM   #26
SanT335
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: e46 M3 Vert

Garage List
Hindsight is 20/20 no one got hurt, except the car. Just told my story to her insurance company. Hopefully I'll get a call by the end of the day from the estimator
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2016, 06:12 PM   #27
SanT335
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Estimator called back...estimated cost is 9k. He says the recent turbo replacement might help, but I'm fairly certain my e90 is, sadly, not worth 20k so it may get totaled
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2016, 06:38 PM   #28
unrulyteach
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Estimator called back...estimated cost is 9k. He says the recent turbo replacement might help, but I'm fairly certain my e90 is, sadly, not worth 20k so it may get totaled
Sad to hear. U can get a newer one now
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2016, 07:03 PM   #29
SanT335
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by unrulyteach View Post
Its hard to know the exact amount, but what do you think ill get from the insurance if it does come out as totaled? And would you, or anyone, recommend buying the car back/parts back?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2016, 07:07 PM   #30
unrulyteach
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Its hard to know the exact amount, but what do you think ill get from the insurance if it does come out as totaled? And would you, or anyone, recommend buying the car back/parts back?
I assume u don't owe on the car then at that time u will get w/e the seem the car is worth could be 5k-8k as for. Buying it back if u hav the money to repair it and get the title to be remade and nothin it's really wrong sure why not but if not take what they give u and get a new one. Pre lci going for 7k-9k these days while some lci are starting from 8.5k. How many miles currently?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2016, 07:22 PM   #31
lordbmw
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 335xi Coupe (AT)

Quote:
Estimator called back...estimated cost is 9k.
Did I not say it was going to be close to $10K ?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2016, 07:25 PM   #32
SanT335
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I assume u don't owe on the car then at that time u will get w/e the seem the car is worth could be 5k-8k as for. Buying it back if u hav the money to repair it and get the title to be remade and nothin it's really wrong sure why not but if not take what they give u and get a new one. Pre lci going for 7k-9k these days while some lci are starting from 8.5k. How many miles currently?
I dont owe. 113k miles. And like it was said ill be able to get some back from my 5k repair.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2016, 07:35 PM   #33
unrulyteach
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
I dont owe. 113k miles. And like it was said ill be able to get some back from my 5k repair.
Well that's good since you don't owe and 113k isn't a lot but it's not low either plus u will be getting back from your repairs so let them total it and let them pay u out and get another like I said earlier they are cheap these days, they use to be 2-3 times what they are worth now
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2016, 07:38 PM   #34
unrulyteach
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Then again u only buy a car back if it's worth something, cheap to buy back and cheap/easy to repair.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2016, 08:49 PM   #35
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by patents View Post
The side airbag is not dependent on the passenger seat sensor because it also protects the rear seat passenger. There is no sensor in the rear seat; it doesn't know if someone is sitting there, so it will fire even if it knows no one is in the front seat.

It will go off if it detects a sufficient lateral force. Even though this was a frontal collision, there are often instantaneous lateral "twisting" forces. If you look at frontal offset crash tests, the side airbags almost always go off. Any hit off center will cause your head to jerk to the side.
I agree with your very excellent and logical explanation, but that was not much of an offset collision IMO to light off the head bag on the passenger side; usually the car needs to rotate some due to the collision. The OP could not have been going that fast based on the damage I see in the picture to get the car to rotate. The head bag is keyed off of door-mounted accelerometers and the YAW acceleraometer in the center console. Maybe the OP hit the center console somehow and triggered the head bag. To me it seems like a strange deployment.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2016, 11:48 PM   #36
MuffinMan910
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 f30 335i xDrive mSport

Quote:
Sorry to hear OP that it's looking totalled

If it's totalled, insurance usually uses auto trader to see how much equivalent vehicles are selling around your area. Use this as a resource and if the offer you something lower than what you find, you can show your insurance proof via auto trader that it's worth more

Also, depending how well you took car of the car will depend how much they offer. A clean car is viewed as "this person who knows what they're talking about". A dirty car can be viewed as, "it's just a car to this person, let's try to low ball"
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2016, 07:14 PM   #37
SanT335
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Update: Insurance called today and they said the car IS NOT TOTALED...by 1k. It got towed to the body shop I picked. The body shop will do their own estimate and see if the insurance people missed anything. Hopefully they don't find 1k in damage over the estimated damage otherwise it will be totaled. Thanks for everyone's input! I'll continue to update this thread as it progresses
Appreciate 1
      10-29-2016, 08:51 AM   #38
unrulyteach
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Update: Insurance called today and they said the car IS NOT TOTALED...by 1k. It got towed to the body shop I picked. The body shop will do their own estimate and see if the insurance people missed anything. Hopefully they don't find 1k in damage over the estimated damage otherwise it will be totaled. Thanks for everyone's input! I'll continue to update this thread as it progresses
That's flipping awesome man, yea hopefully u didn't take it to an too expensive body shop cause they prices go up. Insurance once paid over 1k just to remove a dent from my trunk lid. And those new turbos help u a lot, hopefully she has many more miles to go.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2016, 09:45 AM   #39
335e92tx
ahat
Rep
Drives: Was '07-335e92 - Now '13-335IS

Glad it worked out. I tagged someone just barely rolling yesterday and will need a hood and bumper myself. Fortunately, no fluids and still operational.

my hood looks like crap so I will end up getting it painted so it wont be bad for me - ticket will suck.

'13 335IS N54 (1 of 373 LeMans Blue out of 3597 total production e92)- Grey interior (1 of 24 in LMB with any trans- 1 of 14 with DCT)-MODS -MFactory LSD/MHD-BQ custom Tune/ATM-IC/AFE Momentum GT Intake/Konis/Mfront&HeimJoint Rear rods&arms/Brembos.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Lo6aHZRo7XqtPkhL8
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2016, 10:04 AM   #40
jc2078
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335e92tx View Post
Glad it worked out. I tagged someone just barely rolling yesterday and will need a hood and bumper myself. Fortunately, no fluids and still operational.

my hood looks like crap so I will end up getting it painted so it wont be bad for me - ticket will suck.
Just get a lawyer for the ticket, like the ticket clinic. It is very easy to get tickets thrown out for accidents Bc the officer did not witness the accident. (I've done this twice, both times thrown out)

To add to that, clinics like the ticket clinic only charge about $79-99 for this type of defense so it will likely be cheaper than paying the ticket, associated insurance increases, points/ required school etc
Appreciate 1
      10-29-2016, 10:26 AM   #41
Wilt
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i

Quote:

Estimates are always PRELIMINARY, and both the body shop AND the insurance companies know there can be 'hidden' damage which is not revealed until work on the car is under way. Talk to your body shop guy, and raise the issue of the sensitivity of the situation (closeness to being 'totalled') to the body shop estimator assigned to your case.

BTW. it is likely that your Battery Safety Terminal (in the trunk) was triggered to fire its explosive disconnect device, and that will need to be replaced...at the other end of the car from the visible damage.
Appreciate 1
      10-29-2016, 10:32 AM   #42
unrulyteach
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc2078 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335e92tx View Post

Just get a lawyer for the ticket, like the ticket clinic. It is very easy to get tickets thrown out for accidents Bc the officer did not witness the accident. (I've done this twice, both times thrown out)

To add to that, clinics like the ticket clinic only charge about $79-99 for this type of defense so it will likely be cheaper than paying the ticket, associated insurance increases, points/ required school etc
I will keep this in mind
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2016, 03:14 PM   #43
SanT335
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilt View Post
Estimates are always PRELIMINARY, and both the body shop AND the insurance companies know there can be 'hidden' damage which is not revealed until work on the car is under way. Talk to your body shop guy, and raise the issue of the sensitivity of the situation (closeness to being 'totalled') to the body shop estimator assigned to your case.

BTW. it is likely that your Battery Safety Terminal (in the trunk) was triggered to fire its explosive disconnect device, and that will need to be replaced...at the other end of the car from the visible damage.
I'm anticipating for the body shop to come up with an estimate that is higher than the insurances. I was emailed an itemized list of items damaged on my car and it was extensive. But that was also without pulling off the bumper and seeing if the damage goes deeper.
Appreciate 1
      10-31-2016, 03:43 PM   #44
SanT335
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Body shop did a tear down and submitted their estimate to the insurance today, hope to get a call saying whether or not it went over the 1k to see if its a loss. Will update
Appreciate 0