Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

09-14-2016, 06:04 AM   #23
Habber
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 2024 Brooklyn Grey SOLD

Garage List
  [9.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
It doesnt compete with an M3 because its too big and doesnt handle as well, doesnt compete with an M5, because its far too slow... Make the decision yourself...
It doesn't compete with an M3 because its too ugly and doesn't compete with an M5 because it's too ugly...please don't make this decision alone.
Appreciate 3
Kankles1484.50
gblansten1976.50
Russkey154.50
      09-14-2016, 12:23 PM   #24
KnightedBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habber View Post
It doesn't compete with an M3 because its too ugly and doesn't compete with an M5 because it's too ugly...please don't make this decision alone.
      09-14-2016, 04:17 PM   #25
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

I just double checked the price and its $84k MSRP for the GSF, which is right around what CTSV costs

I get that it "isn't all about the #s" but ~111mph trap speed for the GSF vs. ~126mph trap speed for the CTSV is way too much for me to ignore

Lexus "performance" is kind of a joke at the moment in my opinion. Too bad they can't just resurrect the old Supra TT motor, turn it up to 700hp and put THAT into the GSF/ISF/RCF
Appreciate 1
minn1914034.50
      09-14-2016, 07:29 PM   #26
Ian1973
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 15 M3

They could and why they don't I know.

But people are so on other manufacturer's for using FI, yet Lexus does use a pretty bad ass N/A V8(which is out of character) and no one appreciates it. Funny

If I was looking for a Daily and was sick of the payment on the M and maybe sick of BMW's for a while, I wouldn't hesitate considering a RWD IS350. If it was a manual I wouldn't hesitate at all.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2016, 07:55 PM   #27
RobbyMack
Captain
Rep
Drives: '16 F80 Sakhir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian1973

But people are so on other manufacturer's for using FI, yet Lexus does use a pretty bad ass N/A V8(which is out of character) and no one appreciates it. Funny

If I was looking for a Daily and was sick of the payment on the M and maybe sick of BMW's for a while, I wouldn't hesitate considering a RWD IS350. If it was a manual I wouldn't hesitate at all.
I feel the same. I think the price of the thing is a bit hard to digest but I don't think people appreciate that Lexus is offering a NA V8 in a mostly FI world. I guess selling all those Prius's pay off in their CAFE standards. I'd like to see more power out of the displacement but my guess is the reliability trade off was more than they were willing to make. All in all a good time to be a car guy interested in fast sedans.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2016, 08:01 PM   #28
Ian1973
Colonel
Rep

Yeah look at Ford with their Coyote engine, not sure you can get much more reliably out of a 5.0 Liter without using unobtanium parts and having to charge to much.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2016, 10:47 PM   #29
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian1973 View Post
It is still bad ass if it traps the 1/4 mile 15 mph slower than its closest competitors?

If the M3 was 15 mph slower than C63 we'd say the M3 got its doors blown off and many would consider going to the Welt with pitchforks in hand to protest
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2016, 10:53 PM   #30
DieGrüneHölle
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M

Quote:

Quote:
Yeah look at Ford with their Coyote engine, not sure you can get much more reliably out of a 5.0 Liter without using unobtanium parts and having to charge to much.
This engine would be great in a light weight sports car, not a large sedan. I want my people mover to have effortless speed around town.

Don't get it twisted. Toyota is recycling this engine over and over because they are lazy and it saves money. It has nothing to do with delivering an emotional driving experience.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2016, 09:55 AM   #31
4everkidd
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 AY M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkhm3 View Post
try the autobox, i heard it is shit slow, similar to my wife's gs350. slowest manual shifting autobox i have ever driven in the last 3 years. it is hard to accept for a performance car.
Then you haven't driven many "autobox's" as the RCF and GSF do not share a transmission with any other model.

The RCF / GSF have a very quick shifting transmission; not quite on par with the M3's DCT, but fast none the less.

This is coming from experience after owning two ISF's and an RCF.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2016, 07:38 PM   #32
Ian1973
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blipit_ View Post
This engine would be great in a light weight sports car, not a large sedan. I want my people mover to have effortless speed around town.

Don't get it twisted. Toyota is recycling this engine over and over because they are lazy and it saves money. It has nothing to do with delivering an emotional driving experience.
I absolutely know what they are doing, they do it with everyone of their engines. Look at that dam 3.5 liter, it's in EVERYTHING.

And to Nick, it is a pretty good engine, you are reciting trap speeds, put that in an E46 sized car and that is a great package.

I do hope you realize my point of my post. Everyone and their brother has gotten on all the manufacturer's for using turbos and superchargers to maintain performance and keep their fleet numbers up. Now here is a notoriously stingy, conservative company with a "high" revving 5.0 liter V8 that makes more power than even the standard Coyote Ford engine, that everyone covets, and as much as Chevy's 6.2L. That''s not a bad engine. Just think most get all over Toyota for even just existing. lol

I would own the previous generation ISF, but not the RCF, just to fat and auto
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2016, 08:50 PM   #33
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
And to Nick, it is a pretty good engine, you are reciting trap speeds, put that in an E46 sized car and that is a great package.
Yes, that would be interesting. I would consider a sub 3500lb car with that engine for sure.

While we are day dreaming of lighter weight sports car, hopefully the toyota version of the Z5 will have that motor and will be really light. And that there will be a fixed roof Z5M with S55 that is sub 3000lb and with epic fender flares to fit 335mm cup 2 R comps (yea right...)

I'm not anti Toyota, I just don't agree with the GS-F (the subject of this thread) because it doesn't have enough power for a 4000lb supposedly super sedan
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2016, 07:14 PM   #34
Ian1973
Colonel
Rep

I totally agree. Get your act together Toyota. If you are going to not worry about CAFE standards then go bigger with the 8.

Seriously with the new Supra, why not just bring back the 2JZ. We know the potential of that engine with little to no changes. With turbo tweaks and direct engine could be interesting.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2023, 09:00 AM   #35
shu5892001
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: GS-F

I am a 2016 GS-F owner with 70k miles, FBO, it has been flawless requiring just basic maintenance. I came from a 2010 E90 M3. Although the GS-F motor is not as special as the S65, I sleep much better at night. I admit over the years of GS-F ownership I had numerous thoughts about going to a BMW M8 GC but in the years in between these V8 TT itch and dilemmas, the car had been flawless and looking back now I have actually JUST started to appreciate the quality and uniqueness of the GS-F with a NA V8. Yes, a German twin turbo V8 or an American Supercharged V8 is fast but so is a Kia EV6 GT, and none is faster than Lucid.
cotmfk2049.50
VR1638.00
      11-30-2023, 09:30 AM   #36
cotmfk
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyMack View Post
If you're looking for an engine that will probably keep ticking well beyond 250k with just minor work then the GSF is for you. The styling is polarizing but I really do like how the GS, in general, drives (more E60 than F10). I also recall reading there were only a few hundred examples of the GSF heading to the US so there could be some exclusivity if that matters at all. I honestly did give it a long look when I was trying to convince myself I didn't "need" an M as a daily and would be just as happy in a 550.

This is kind of why I am thinking of one as well. The idea of a zero maintenance/repair car is appealing to me, without going all the way to something like a Honda Accord. I also like the fact that they are relatively rare. They may be slower, boatier, etc. And this wouldn't replace the M3, it would most likely replace my wife's car. Then, at least, it's something that has a little bit of character, sounds nice (bc V8), and will be reliable for her.