E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > Long term maintenance

01-08-2014, 12:03 AM   #1
bmwperson
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 4wheels

Long term maintenance

Hey there,

I'm looking to judge the maintenance cost for long term ownership of a xdrive/6spd e90. I have owned a handful of cars (mostly bmw) and by far my e36 was the easiest/cheapest to work on. I'm trying to find a good replacement for it.

Could you guys give me any ideas on
* what are the most common issues with these cars? fuel pump, injectors, carbon building, turbos?
* Looking to find out reliability past 100k, how much maintenance is necessary, what have you replaced so far etc

Thanks in advance
Tom
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2014, 12:19 AM   #2
ping65810
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi

Just take a peek on these forums a bit, but to give you an idea, the 335i models typically have a lot of issues, from fuel pumps, to turbos, to valve fouling. The 328i/330i models are pretty trouble free, but also have the weak starters that all seem to have.

I've owned 6 BMWs, from E30s, E36, E46, and now a 2007 328Xi. These seem to be easier on tires than past BMWs, better on maintenance intervals, and overall not as needy as the older ones. I keep my cars usually past 200k, and these seem to be very easy to keep for a very long time. I would advise against a 335i long term, due to the increases maintenance and problems which I would not want to deal with out of warranty.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2014, 06:30 AM   #3
ajsalida
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 95 M3, 02 R1150GSA, 09 335xi

+1

Really depends a lot on whether you're looking at the turbo engines or not. They are direct injection (with much more complicated fuel systems) and 328 etc are not. Most/all of the early fuel system teething issues have been fixed, and some of the turbo concerns, both with extended warranties and improved parts/software. All DI engines have issues with carbon build up, this an issue with the basic tech and not limited to BMW's.

Also depends what you want the car to be. If you want to mod the engine, or just want the extra stock power, or want to go for MUCH higher power levels you must get the turbo engine, no question. But then you must accept higher routine maintenance costs (and way more fun).

Having said that the 6MT/AWD system appears to be nearly bullet proof even at well over double stock power levels. Chassis and suspension brakes electronics etc no more or less than usual.

Personally I still have a E36M3 I bought new nearly 20 years ago. I often wonder if I'll keep my 335xi that long. I don't see why not, and I also don't see the 335xi as having prohibitive or unusual maintenance req going forward, at least not relative to the tech that is there and the improvement over a 20 year old car like the E36. Cars are just much much more sophisticated and complex now, esp electronics and for DI engines, the fuel systems. But the flip side of that is way better fuel economy and enormous tuning potential.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2014, 10:31 AM   #4
bmwperson
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 4wheels

To be perfectly honest, I would like a 335 but not at a price of constantly fixing it. I already have a E36 turbo... made 723whp 5 years ago It's just not a very good daily.

In any case, Im fairly comfortable with working on most engines from my E36 I scratch built myself to my E39 M5. As much as I like to work on my E36/project cars, I like to do it on my own terms, when I have time; When I have to work on my daily out of necessity it's not as much fun...

PS E36es are bulletproof

Thanks for your help
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2014, 11:20 AM   #5
ajsalida
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 95 M3, 02 R1150GSA, 09 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwperson View Post
To be perfectly honest, I would like a 335 but not at a price of constantly fixing it. I already have a E36 turbo... made 723whp 5 years ago It's just not a very good daily.

In any case, Im fairly comfortable with working on most engines from my E36 I scratch built myself to my E39 M5. As much as I like to work on my E36/project cars, I like to do it on my own terms, when I have time; When I have to work on my daily out of necessity it's not as much fun...

PS E36es are bulletproof

Thanks for your help
LOL, well it will be more reliable than your 723whp turbo e36! Maybe not as fun.
Appreciate 0