BMW 2-Series Gran Coupe
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 1 Series Forum Second Generation (F40) BMW 1 Series (F40) General Discussion

11-05-2018, 03:56 PM   #23
Tallest
Major General
Rep
Drives: 911

Garage List
2011 911  [10.00]
If it is FWD then expect proportions to change. Longer overhang on the front, to fit all that in, and short overhang on the rear. Think A class etc. I reckon if that happens the uniqueness of the outgoing car will be even more of a highlight. I always liked the original 130i and as I get a little over mid 30s the 3 and 5 series become a bit much for me. Im thinking of going back to small car, and this current 140i might be ticket... not exctited about FWD platform as have driven the FWD X1 loaner and it was garbage...
      11-05-2018, 04:07 PM   #24
Vucko
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 630i E63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest View Post
If it is FWD then expect proportions to change. Longer overhang on the front, to fit all that in, and short overhang on the rear. Think A class etc. I reckon if that happens the uniqueness of the outgoing car will be even more of a highlight. I always liked the original 130i and as I get a little over mid 30s the 3 and 5 series become a bit much for me. Im thinking of going back to small car, and this current 140i might be ticket... not exctited about FWD platform as have driven the FWD X1 loaner and it was garbage...
actually, no, proportions are going to shrink front hood, as engines from now on will be 3cyl amd 4cyl engine with different position than now, no more longitudinal engines, from now it will be transverse mounted engines

i wonder other thing, if they have plan to offer AWD cars, will they go back to longitudinal engine, or what? this question goes under assumption of AWD option exist, and if thay plan to offer 6cyl engine in m135i or m140i
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2018, 09:56 AM   #25
Y20DTH
Rep
Drives: F20 116i 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vucko View Post
actually, no, proportions are going to shrink front hood, as engines from now on will be 3cyl amd 4cyl engine with different position than now, no more longitudinal engines, from now it will be transverse mounted engines

i wonder other thing, if they have plan to offer AWD cars, will they go back to longitudinal engine, or what? this question goes under assumption of AWD option exist, and if thay plan to offer 6cyl engine in m135i or m140i
I guess for AWD cars they will use a Haldex system o similar (like VW Group) to suit the engine transversally placed.

About fitting a 6cyl tranversally, I would be really impressed if BMW does it. It is too long.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2018, 10:09 AM   #26
Vucko
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 630i E63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y20DTH View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vucko View Post

I guess for AWD cars they will use a Haldex system o similar (like VW Group) to suit the engine transversally placed.

About fitting a 6cyl tranversally, I would be really impressed if BMW does it. It is too long.
man can hope only for 6cyl engine
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2018, 12:46 PM   #27
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

I think there will be no six cylinder engine in the one series. And all wheel drive can be done by electric motors in the back, like in the 2 series active tourer.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2018, 08:51 PM   #28
Firaxis
Captain
Rep
Drives: Car

Y'know what? I ain't got an issue with FWD, none of my F20's or F30's were on par handling wise with my Focus ST.. Ain't bad but not there.!

You could feel the centre of gravity shift as the car locked to the floor with amazing grip, having a sensation of G's pulling on your neck at relatively low speeds dependant on the corner angle. I had complete confidence in it at all times and has become the handling benchmark for me.!

What I didn't like about that car is how they cheaped out on everything else, in damp conditions the front tires would spin / hop / bang without trying hard at all. The ride was rough, it tram lined often and it could of been avoided with a decent multi-link. I've had cars that handle well AND they're composed on bad roads..

If this is supposed to be a "premium" product, the "ultimate driving machine" then it has to be done properly. Anything over 210HP? It needs a decent limited slip diff, whilst the back end slipping out on a RWD can be fun it's just infuriating on a FWD car..

If their end goal is an over priced rebranded Citroen like car with a plush interior? Nah, no chance.!

Last edited by Firaxis; 12-27-2018 at 09:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2018, 06:21 PM   #29
JLB_501
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 118d M Sport

Garage List
Does anyone know anything about hybrid F40 1 series? Im reading plug in hybrid and/or mild hybrid?
Appreciate 0