BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

01-28-2011, 03:14 AM   #1
bmw_guy_2020
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Mercedes CLS 550

What is meant by a "square" wheel setup?

I've seen references to a "square" wheel setup on this forum but I'm not sure what this means.

Does this refer to using the same wheel size for all 4 wheels?
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2011, 03:56 AM   #2
Eddy@ApexWheels
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: E30 M3, F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw_guy_2020 View Post

I've seen references to a "square" wheel setup on this forum but I'm not sure what this means.

Correct.

A square setup is the same wheel and tire size all around. Aggressive/race fitments will generally involve running a tire size on the front of the car that is as wide or wider than what originally came on the rear of the vehicle. In fitments where fender clearance up front is limited, a common ground is picked between the front and rear sizes (235/40/17 picked to be used all around on a car that originally came with 225/40/17's front and 245/40/17 rear).

It's usually the same offset wheel as well, thus allowing for easy rotating of tires. A spacer may be used in some cases to correct for offset (such as on the E46 M3, where an 18x9.5" et35 square setup is used, along with a pair of 10-12mm rear spacers).

The other option is a staggered setup, which is common to almost all BMW's including the E9X M3. This is any setup where the rear wheel and tire is wider than the front wheel and tire.

Square setups are commonly preferred for track use due to the increase in front grip they provide. Square setups bring the car back to a more neutral settings vs, the understeer caused by staggered setups. In heavier, high horsepower cars, a square setup can cause the feeling of oversteer. Some owners comment that square setups on the E9X M3 chassis feel like they oversteer. Driving at the limits of a car that oversteers easily/easier is generally more difficult, but the improved front grip is worth more to advanced drivers then the extra skill/attention required to control oversteer.
      01-28-2011, 05:23 AM   #3
ooowowizstev
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW E92 M3  [10.00]
Quote:

No.

01-28-2011, 05:26 AM   #4
JSH3
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 328i E92 and 2011 X3

Appreciate 0
      01-28-2011, 07:49 AM   #5
PKL
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4, 2022 X6

^lol
      01-28-2011, 03:16 PM   #6
SIN3
Wheel Fitment Connoisseur
Rep
Drives: slow and low top down

that pic is win.

2006 M3 Cabrio
2004 ZHP Cabrio
/stanceworks\
"keep it clean, keep it OEM+"
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2011, 07:19 AM   #7
bmw_guy_2020
Private First Class
Rep

So how many of you use a square setup on your m3?

Oversteer is where the steering feels loose and it feels like you need to turn the steering wheel quite a bit to make the car turn. This is kind of like an old Buick right?

I test drove an X6 a few months ago the default steering felt like this. This was oversteer right? I don't think the one I test drove had the "Adaptive Steering" option.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2011, 09:18 AM   #8
JJM335
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:

Oversteer is where the steering feels loose and it feels like you need to turn the steering wheel quite a bit to make the car turn. This is kind of like an old Buick right?

I test drove an X6 a few months ago the default steering felt like this. This was oversteer right? I don't think the one I test drove had the "Adaptive Steering" option.

This would be understeer. Oversteer is when the back end tries to come around.Most modern cars are setup to favor understeer as it is deemed safer and easier to control.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2011, 01:17 PM   #9
aajami
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray '09 E92 M3

Quote:

What.

I highly doubt that you were driving an X6 aggressive enough to induce either understeer (pull) or oversteer (push), especially not during a test drive. What you're describing is the general vague steering response that a lot of BMW models have these days, and/or the truck's large turning radius.
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | JPN 240 ECU flash | Euro LCI taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2011, 01:20 PM   #10
Crazy Bimmer
The Jesal
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
So annoying yet entertaining.
      01-29-2011, 05:14 PM   #11
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:

I do, and I like it a lot...
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2011, 06:33 PM   #12
bmw_guy_2020
Private First Class
Rep

Based on my test drive of the M3 I'm happy with the car just the way it is.

If people like a square setup so much and a square setup prolongs the life of the tires by allowing tire rotations then why have most German car makers been using a staggered setup on their cars for the last 10 years?
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2011, 06:56 PM   #13
slicer
Major General
Rep
Drives: 'E46 M3 Race Car, '23 X7

Quote:
Based on my test drive of the M3 I'm happy with the car just the way it is.

If people like a square setup so much and a square setup prolongs the life of the tires by allowing tire rotations then why have most German car makers been using a staggered setup on their cars for the last 10 years?
Because the average driver is not comfortable with and does not know how to react to oversteer. Manufacturers view understeer as safer when compared to oversteer which can result in your car spinning. When you experience understeer you continue to face the intended direction.

At the speeds that are seen on public roads we do not come close to reaching the limits of this car. On a test drive or typical driving conditions most people (myself included) would have a hard time determining the difference between a staggered and square set up. The track is a different story.
'04 M3 - Fall Line Motorsports Built Race Car - S65 swap, Dry Sump, Bosch Stand-Alone ECU, Drenth Sequential Trans, MCS 3-Way, Flossmann Wide Body, Brembo Motorsports Brakes, Drexler LSD, BBS E88 Etc.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M

Last edited by slicer; 01-30-2011 at 10:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2011, 07:47 PM   #14
Dustin@AEp
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIN3 View Post
that pic is win.
steven! nice to see you on m3 post haha
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2011, 08:27 PM   #15
Sleeper519
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 M3 DCT

Quote:

Understeer is when the front of the car hits the wall first,
Oversteer is when the back of the car hits the wall first.

Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall,
Torque is how far you go through the other side.

2008 M3 Coupe / DCT // StopTech BBK 380/355 / Pagid RS29 / Motul / Apex Arc-8 / BFG R1S / Ground Control / MS filter / Performance spoiler / BPM tune // Road Atlanta 1:39.70 / VIR Full 2:10.87 / Barber 1:42.20
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2011, 02:12 AM   #16
Auto
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: MB CLS 63 AMG

nice pics, hahaha!
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2011, 05:27 AM   #17
itf joegun
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: G29 Z4 M40i; G05 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeper519 View Post

Perfect description! Easy to keep in mind, thank you!

Click signature for current and previous cars.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2011, 10:11 AM   #18
bmw_guy_2020
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

So are you saying that your car is much more likely to "fishtail" if it's prone towards oversteer?
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2011, 02:39 PM   #19
dnvrdrvr
Captain Obvious
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 VW GTI SE

Quote:
So are you saying that your car is much more likely to "fishtail" if it's prone towards oversteer?
Yep.

Think about the words themselves. Oversteer is when the car over steers into the turn you're making. It turns farther than you intend it to. The back end swings out. Etc

Understeer is when the car doesn't go as far into the turn as you want it to go. I've also heard this described as pushing or plowing. It is indeed "safer" in that you won't end up sitting stopped facing oncoming traffic.

Either way you can end up off track though.

Quote:

By far, one of my favorite quotes...
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2011, 02:58 PM   #20
Kenny@VS
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: White E92 M3

Quote:

Oversteer and understeer have nothing to do with wheel size; unless your doing something completely out of the box. The cars suspension and alignment specs determine that. I would prefer the square set up. I am always at the track. Its easer to rotate and if your in a rush you don't have to look to see if you have the right size on. IMO I don't notice a hinder on performance. I have been racing wheel to wheel in the SCCA for almost 6 years, I have a lot of experience with different setups and testing. If you need any more clarity on different questions, don't hesitate to ask.
Appreciate 0