E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Selling Cars Privately - Dodgy Dealers

11-30-2009, 05:19 PM   #1
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Selling Cars Privately - Dodgy Dealers

This is the first time I've ever sold a car of any real value privately.

I realise it's a bit of an odd time of year to sell, but I'm surprised at the calls I'm getting.

They are all from really dodgy sounding dealers, who (without bothering to look at the car) just want me to knock £1k off. Quite obviously they want me to do this, so that they can then sell the car on at a profit (probably for more than I am currently asking).

Presumably these guys have been taking advantage of distressed sellers this year and are just ringing through the classifieds looking for people who will sell low?

I just want a call from a normal person who wants to buy a car
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2009, 05:34 PM   #2
rogerxp
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 Comp Pack / QQ+2 Tekna

Garage List
I never had any dodgy dealers calling for the 350Z. Maybe, as your car is already a bit of a bargain, they think you're desperate to sell so are just trying it on to make a quick buck.
Gone -: 370Z GT Roadster; BMW X3 3.0d xdrive M Sport; E46 330i M Sport Coupe; Mazda RX8 231; Nissan 350Z GT Roadster; BMW E90 330d M Sport; BMW E92 335i SE; Maserati 4200; Nissan 350Z; Honda S2000; Astra Coupe Turbo; Ford Probe
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2009, 06:10 PM   #3
F31-340i
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i Touring

I think it depends. When selling an X5 several years ago for around £36k I had miles more calls from dealers than private buyers - they were bidding around £34k though as they obviously could sell it on their forecourt for a tidy profit above the £36k I wanted.

If anything I think it just says that they know early E90 330is are quite easy to shift with a good spec - and are bidding for easy shifting stock accordingly. This should be a good sign. Having said that it took a while for a genuine private buyer to come along for my X5 (another story but they paid me in cash that was in a full shoebox - I just pointed them at a local bank and said pay it into my account I don't want to touch it!). I sold it around this time of year on reflection.

Given the my experiences of hunting for a CLK55 - I'm not sure many dealers are any more trustable than joe public - just be careful, be sensible and take no nonense.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2009, 05:00 AM   #4
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 CS

I did have a few like this with my 335d and the cars I sold before...

Generally to be honest they emailed rather than called - few seemed to have the balls for that.

I refused to haggle until people saw the car really, full stop!

Matt
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2009, 05:51 AM   #5
Real Thing
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Audi TT-RS Plus + MK6 Golf R

Seems to be a lack of good stock around at the moment so I think more dealers are searching the classifieds for bargains Joe public also wants a Bargain now days so if any of the Dealers caller you are close to what you want may be worth pursuing as they are usually a straight forward sale
      12-01-2009, 05:59 AM   #6
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

To be fair, I sold the 335D for a good price to a trader...

He wanted to drive it for a week or two then sell it on, he could easily make a couple of grand probably, but I still got a good deal considering the condition, age, mileage and service being due.

Matt
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2009, 07:53 AM   #7
Irnbrukid
Major
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Imaginary M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingKileak View Post
I refused to haggle until people saw the car really, full stop!

Matt
A good point, as they will almost certainly try and chip you even more once they come to see the car...
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2009, 08:06 AM   #8
pjs
Colonel
Rep
Drives: i8

If it isnt selling, the price is too high.

It'll be the cloth and manual combo imho. Just need to wait until someone that knows what they are looking for and knows about e90's comes along.

Providing its as described, which I'm sure it will be, you can avoid them knocking cash off when they roll up to have a look by telling them in advance. Best of luck.

Saying that, mate off mine been trying to shift a well specced 530d touring for over 2 months to no avail. Weird
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2009, 08:46 AM   #9
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjs View Post

It'll be the cloth and manual combo imho. Just need to wait until someone that knows what they are looking for and knows about e90's comes along.

Providing its as described, which I'm sure it will be, you can avoid them knocking cash off when they roll up to have a look by telling them in advance. Best of luck.

Saying that, mate off mine been trying to shift a well specced 530d touring for over 2 months to no avail. Weird
Being 100% honest because my car is gone and I doubt this will hurt the guy selling it on if he does as he operates in a totally different space...

I put mine up for £23000 to begin with because I KNEW Pistonheads buyers would make silly offers.

They began at £20,000 and I had more offers at this than I knew what to do with - being honest, I must have had 5 or 6 emails like this in 48 hours after listing. I told each one the same - to go forth and multiply.

I had one or two more at say, £20,500 or £21,000 and to be honest, if they had offerred me that in person I probably would have taken it. Anyone who spoke to me in a reasoned way or made an offer in the upper end of that scale (£21,000 was my target price) or sounded sensible got told to come and view the car, but I never said yes or no.

Eventually, I dropped it to £21500 and agreed a deal over the phone with one of these guys at £21000 as he was coming a long way.

The day before he came - my brake pad warning light came on and the rear pads were due. He also knocked the car on some scratches and other bits which I either didn't see or forgot about, but he DID accept the condition of the exhaust and tyres as I had advertised them and didn't try to knock me for them.

We settled at £20,800 as the car was booked in for both the pads and a front end respray which would have cost me £500 all in or more. Result for us both I felt.

He had on several occasions told me he lined up a buyer beforehand, who then let him down, but he pushed on and bought the car anyway... some time later, he rang for technical support on unremapping the car to take it in for the pads doing. True to my part of the bargain, I helped him and it worked...

My point is I guess that you CAN get a good private sale at this kind of money, but it really is down to the individual I suppose!!

Out of interest, I was also offerred a lot of P/X's which included.... Alpina D3, 450bhp Astra VXR, E46 330 Cab, endless leggy M3's, a gorgeous but well overpriced Alpina M3 Individual, a random A3 TDi with 70,000 miles, a TVR T350T, a 996 911 Turbo (tempting) and some other bobbins.

All in all it was a pretty easy, albeit not quick process, and I got the result I wanted, and to be fair, all the offers made were basically around a reasonable amount for the car I was selling.

Just hang fire I guess, or put the price up a little and hope to sell for the price you are asking now - alternatively, make CRYSTAL CLEAR in your ads that NO HAGGLING will be applied and put your price at what you want - describe any points that will cost them to fix in the original ad, and let them make the decision before they even ring.

Hell, you should know anyway as you price everyone elses cars up for them

Matt
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2009, 02:28 PM   #10
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

There is no way that the price is too high. If anything it's low. Thats why the dealers are sniffing around - they can see the potential for profit in the car.

I agree that it's a slightly niche spec .. but the seats are alcantara/cloth not just 'cloth'

Quote:
All in all it was a pretty easy, albeit not quick process
How long did it take you to get the sale? My problem is a lack of patience. It's only been on Autotrader for a week, but I want the deal done
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2009, 02:38 PM   #11
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

From the first 'proper' advert which was Pistonheads, to the day it sold, it was six weeks or so!

I first advertised it just before the lakes meet, and it sold late October, so actually nowhere near that long... 3 weeks?

Matt
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2009, 02:42 PM   #12
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I first advertised it just before the lakes meet, and it sold late October, so actually nowhere near that long... 3 weeks?

Matt
Cheers Matt, I reckon it would be longer this time of year as well.

I guess my options are either to chuck away another £500 and give it to one of the dealer types or hang fire and (probably) end up selling it in the new year.

I'll see what kind of daft calls I get tomorrow
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2009, 02:58 PM   #13
pjs
Colonel
Rep
Drives: i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS View Post
There is no way that the price is too high. If anything it's low. Thats why the dealers are sniffing around - they can see the potential for profit in the car.

I agree that it's a slightly niche spec .. but the seats are alcantara/cloth not just 'cloth'

How long did it take you to get the sale? My problem is a lack of patience. It's only been on Autotrader for a week, but I want the deal done
Sorry mate, i didnt realise you had it at £12995 on autotrader. It should go at that. Clealry some people dont know value when they see it
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2009, 03:03 PM   #14
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Sorry mate, i didnt realise you had it at £12995 on autotrader. It should go at that. Clealry some people dont know value when they see it
No worries I'm sure it will sell at that price, I just need to be patient, which is something that doesn't come naturally to me
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2009, 06:46 PM   #15
gIzzE
Major General
Rep
Drives: F11 + 911 C4

One thing to bare in mind is most private buyers will want to sort finance on that car, even if it is a straight loan. So don't drop the price too much, as it may have seen your car and be trying to get something agreed in principle, which can take a few days at the moment. I normally find I start to get serious offers in week two.

By the end of week two, beginning of week 3, I tend to agree the sale with someone.

I have sold hundreds over the last 10 years, well, around 30.

If a dealer is offering £500 under asking I would bite their hand off.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2009, 11:55 AM   #16
edowen
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 330i, 991 GTS, Cayenne S D

TBH it is a good sign. The fact that they are only chipping you down £1k, and calling you about it means it is well priced, they like the spec, and they need the stock.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2009, 12:50 PM   #17
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gIzzE View Post
One thing to bare in mind is most private buyers will want to sort finance on that car, even if it is a straight loan. So don't drop the price too much, as it may have seen your car and be trying to get something agreed in principle, which can take a few days at the moment. I normally find I start to get serious offers in week two.
As usual you are spot on mate.

It's gone ... for ever

Now the waiting begins for the new car, but in the meantime I will be driving a 330d (whisper it) SE with an automatic gearbox

Without wanting to start the old petrol diesel debate ... my initial opinion of the 330d is very low.

Sounds like a tractor when idling and a tank under load. The SE suspension is definitely softer as well. Quite a lot of body roll in fact.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2009, 01:00 PM   #18
F31-340i
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i Touring

really? E46 or E90 330d?

whats on the shopping list?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2009, 01:13 PM   #19
gIzzE
Major General
Rep
Drives: F11 + 911 C4

Unless you really need diesel for resale reasons get a petrol, otherwise you will regret it after a couple of months.

I have just been in a diesel A4 avant while my A6 petrol is in for warranty work and I hated it, I don't mind the 123d I am using for work but if I am honest with myself I wish I had bought a 130i.

As good as the 123d is, mapped to 250bhp, 0-60mph in 6.2 seconds, and returns 40-58mpg, it is still lacking any soul whatsoever.

I should have bought a 130i and swapped the A6 avant for a diesel estate, a new E Class E350cdi would have been perfect alongside the 130i.

Oh well, can't be arsed with it anymore, putting in a top notch sound system in the 1 series and enjoying it in a different way now.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2009, 01:32 PM   #20
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///ajd View Post
really? E46 or E90 330d?

whats on the shopping list?
It's an e90, with the 231hp engine. Newer than my old car as well.

I'll have my new car in a week. It runs on petrol and has a manual gearbox. Can't wait

Quote:
As good as the 123d is, mapped to 250bhp, 0-60mph in 6.2 seconds, and returns 40-58mpg, it is still lacking any soul whatsoever.
I agree entirely, this 330d is quick, but it sounds awful and there is no engagement at all. Even my wife said it sounded like a taxi and didn't feel as 'solid' as the 330i on the road.

There is no way I could like with a diesel when it's still legal to own a 'proper' car. Don't care if they are quicker and more economical, they just don't do it for me.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2009, 02:00 PM   #21
Irnbrukid
Major
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Imaginary M2

Quote:
Unless you really need diesel for resale reasons get a petrol, otherwise you will regret it after a couple of months.

I have just been in a diesel A4 avant while my A6 petrol is in for warranty work and I hated it, I don't mind the 123d I am using for work but if I am honest with myself I wish I had bought a 130i.

I should have bought a 130i and swapped the A6 avant for a diesel estate, a new E Class E350cdi would have been perfect alongside the 130i.

Oh well, can't be arsed with it anymore, putting in a top notch sound system in the 1 series and enjoying it in a different way now.
Thought the 120d was the best car you have owned in the past few years, so i thought the 123d would be the same with a bit more go
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2009, 01:51 AM   #22
Dr Dave
Zummerzet Zyder Drinker!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '06 330D Le Mans Blue

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS View Post
I agree entirely, this 330d is quick, but it sounds awful and there is no engagement at all. Even my wife said it sounded like a taxi and didn't feel as 'solid' as the 330i on the road.
Eh??? Sounds awful? You must have driven a bad one then!