BMW 2-Series Gran Coupe
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 1 Series Forum Second Generation (F40) BMW 1 Series (F40) General Discussion

03-31-2020, 12:47 PM   #1
MrFoxy
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: F40 M135i. G42 M240i

F40 Detailing

Anyone into detailing? what do you use? tips/tricks?
I personally love it! nothing better than a proper detailed/shiny car driving around.

This took me 2 1/2 hrs...not even a proper detail. Spray wax only, no hard wax yet as I cant get cloud cover.

Name:  7810E69A-7039-4A98-9E6A-DF93B6CD0D91_1_201_a.jpg
Views: 727
Size:  418.6 KB
Appreciate 1
JustChris17423.00
      03-31-2020, 03:00 PM   #2
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

I dabble a bit. Have a DA polisher and a few bits. Got my Mini JCW to a mirror finish. Had a black car thing for a while....never again!
Attached Images

Vervain396.50
      03-31-2020, 03:27 PM   #3
MrFoxy
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
I dabble a bit. Have a DA polisher and a few bits. Got my Mini JCW to a mirror finish. Had a black car thing for a while....never again!
FFS mate! How long did that take!?
I fancy going on a machine polishing course, find out how to correct any damage etc.

That's some pic mate.
Appreciate 1
JustChris17423.00
      03-31-2020, 03:34 PM   #4
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFoxy View Post
Quote:
I fancy going on a machine polishing course, find out how to correct any damage etc.

That's some pic mate.
Easy peasy honestly. I just watched some YT videos and took a plunge on some kit.

Making sure the car is super super clean beforehand is the key. (Washes, decontaminate and clay bar smooth).

Finishing the whole car like this (bear in mind just a little mini) maybe 2-3 hours. Like yourself, quite enjoy it really if the conditions are nice.....plenty of time at the moment too! LoL.
      03-31-2020, 07:09 PM   #5
knali8
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3M Comp

Quote:
I personally love it! nothing better than a proper detailed/shiny car driving around.

This took me 2 1/2 hrs...not even a proper detail. Spray wax only, no hard wax yet as I cant get cloud cover.

Attachment 2272293
Your car looks awesome.. Have you added spacers?

My car is washed weekly.. I use a spray wax as well. I find them easier and quicker to apply.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2020, 01:52 AM   #6
MrFoxy
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

That's some pic mate.
Easy peasy honestly. I just watched some YT videos and took a plunge on some kit.

Making sure the car is super super clean beforehand is the key. (Washes, decontaminate and clay bar smooth).

Finishing the whole car like this (bear in mind just a little mini) maybe 2-3 hours. Like yourself, quite enjoy it really if the conditions are nice.....plenty of time at the moment too! LoL.
True that mate,loads of time! The only products I use are Auto Finesse....swear by the stuff! And now they do a polisher (out of stock) check there website.

https://www.autofinesse.com

You sound like it might be a site you'll appreciate. Still blown away with that door lol.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2020, 02:01 AM   #7
MrFoxy
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by knali8 View Post
Quote:

Attachment 2272293
Your car looks awesome.. Have you added spacers?

My car is washed weekly.. I use a spray wax as well. I find them easier and quicker to apply.
Thanks for your kind words pal, yes 10mm spacers/sideskirts/new wing mirror caps and my grill/canards painted.

I use a spray wax every time I wash the car to, and it also gets washed every week lol

Going down the same road as Chris but can't do it all in one go. Needs lowered (hopefully next month) I fancy waiting on a Milltech exhaust and I'll get Bola wheels next year.

AutoID has a cracking rear spoiler in the works,was meant to drop end of this month along with the full ASTRO kit but might need to wait now.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2020, 02:36 AM   #8
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

That's some pic mate.

True that mate,loads of time! The only products I use are Auto Finesse....swear by the stuff! And now they do a polisher (out of stock) check there website.

You sound like it might be a site you'll appreciate. Still blown away with that door lol.
Haha the compounds I use are Auto Finesse. Quality!
      04-01-2020, 02:38 AM   #9
MrFoxy
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

That's some pic mate.

Haha the compounds I use are Auto Finesse. Quality!
Lololol Try there range mate you'll completely switch lol
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2020, 03:10 AM   #10
knali8
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for your kind words pal, yes 10mm spacers/sideskirts/new wing mirror caps and my grill/canards painted.

I use a spray wax every time I wash the car to, and it also gets washed every week lol

Going down the same road as Chris but can't do it all in one go. Needs lowered (hopefully next month) I fancy waiting on a Milltech exhaust and I'll get Bola wheels next year.

AutoID has a cracking rear spoiler in the works,was meant to drop end of this month along with the full ASTRO kit but might need to wait now.
The 10mm spacers look good. Did you get longer studs? Where did you get it from? I'm in Aus so might need to look for somewhere local.

I have been looking for exhausts.. for me to get one it has to sound good.. lol I think the Remus exhaust sounds good but I haven't heard it under load yet. I also listened to an mperfomance exhaust on a 330i and it sounded good. I can't find one for the m135i

Last edited by knali8; 04-01-2020 at 03:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2020, 03:40 AM   #11
MrFoxy
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by knali8 View Post
Quote:

The 10mm spacers look good. Did you get longer studs? Where did you get it from? I'm in Aus so might need to look for somewhere local.

I have been looking for exhausts.. for me to get one it has to sound good.. lol I think the Remus exhaust sounds good but I haven't heard it under load yet. I also listened to an mperfomance exhaust on a 330i and it sounded good. I can't find one for the m135i
Yes mate they came with a full set of bolts, Forge spacers (black) if your really after a set PM me and I'll send you the invoice I got.

I'm with you on the exhaust just now, not heard anything under load yet. Remus sounds good! MillTech is in production so good things happening car wise for our model. Don't think an M Performance exhaust is in production.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2020, 07:13 AM   #12
knali8
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Yes mate they came with a full set of bolts, Forge spacers (black) if your really after a set PM me and I'll send you the invoice I got.

I'm with you on the exhaust just now, not heard anything under load yet. Remus sounds good! MillTech is in production so good things happening car wise for our model. Don't think an M Performance exhaust is in production.

I will pm you. I might also check in with a local exhaust shop to see what they have. My only worry is that they can't promise me a good sounding exhaust.
Appreciate 1
MrFoxy372.50