BMW 2-Series Gran Coupe
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 1 Series Forum Second Generation (F40) BMW 1 Series (F40) General Discussion

05-01-2020, 03:04 PM   #45
Stan_Brook
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F40 M135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by knali8 View Post
Thanks mate. I wanted to support my local exhaust shop during these hard times. Also, I knew that I wanted a good sounding exhaust and I couldn't find any exhaust videos of our cars under load on the net so, for me I didn't want to get a manufacturer one for that reason.

I asked him to experiment with my exhaust i.e test stock exhaust without mid resonator firstly.. then try deleting the muffler. He said that taking off the muffler had the biggest difference.. so then it was just a matter of finding a muffler that sounds good.
Good shout in supporting local.

When I went to my local exhaust place to get them to take my M Performance Exhaust off my F20 M135i and replace with stock they weren’t interested as not enough profit in it apparently for them!

We don’t have res boxes on uk versions I believe but there is a guy who is well known for modding BMW backboxes but is all done pretty much under the radar to maintain warranty OEM etc. Cheap start to things and if doesn’t work out then nothing major lost so think this will be my first port of call.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2020, 04:18 PM   #46
MrFoxy
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: F40 M135i. G42 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan_Brook View Post
Quote:
Thanks mate. I wanted to support my local exhaust shop during these hard times. Also, I knew that I wanted a good sounding exhaust and I couldn't find any exhaust videos of our cars under load on the net so, for me I didn't want to get a manufacturer one for that reason.

I asked him to experiment with my exhaust i.e test stock exhaust without mid resonator firstly.. then try deleting the muffler. He said that taking off the muffler had the biggest difference.. so then it was just a matter of finding a muffler that sounds good.

When I went to my local exhaust place to get them to take my M Performance Exhaust off my F20 M135i and replace with stock they weren’t interested as not enough profit in it apparently for them!

We don’t have res boxes on uk versions I believe but there is a guy who is well known for modding BMW backboxes but is all done pretty much under the radar to maintain warranty OEM etc. Cheap start to things and if doesn’t work out then nothing major lost so think this will be my first port of call.
Keep us up to date on that mod if you get it done mate
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2020, 03:54 AM   #47
knali8
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3M Comp

Quote:

I think I might have seen a YouTube video about that exhaust shop... 'officially gassed' had a similar mod done on his M3 and it sounded great!

Off topic.. how was the F20 M135i to drive and what was the gas mileage like?
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2020, 08:16 AM   #48
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFoxy View Post
Quote:
Ok so who is going to be the guinea pig?

https://clptuning.co.uk/product/remu...bmw-m135i-f40/

Sound clip on the racing variant but not this one......
Where is the sound clip mate?

I think Chris should sell his current one and get this 😂
Haha unlikely, one of you stock guys are up next
      05-02-2020, 10:18 AM   #49
MrFoxy
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: F40 M135i. G42 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFoxy View Post
Quote:
Ok so who is going to be the guinea pig?

https://clptuning.co.uk/product/remu...bmw-m135i-f40/

Sound clip on the racing variant but not this one......
Where is the sound clip mate?

I think Chris should sell his current one and get this 😂
Haha unlikely, one of you stock guys are up next
😂
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2020, 03:51 AM   #50
Stan_Brook
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F40 M135i

Quote:
I think I might have seen a YouTube video about that exhaust shop... 'officially gassed' had a similar mod done on his M3 and it sounded great!

Off topic.. how was the F20 M135i to drive and what was the gas mileage like?
PCW Exhaust Mods is the guy. Check him out on Facebook. Done a lot of M lites with some good success and only circa £300

F20 M135i was a hoot. It's the first car I have owned that I really didn't want to see go back. I had the M Perf Exhaust too and the sound was amazing especially on cold starts in the garage.

Ultimately it was quick point to point but on most of the country roads round where I live it would get unsettled at speed quite easily. Fair bit of understeer on entry but the fun was to be had in getting your foot down on exit firing yourself up the road.

Michelin PSS were amazing tyres. 14k out of the rears with a lot of punishment is pretty good to me! Once they had a bit of temp in them the grip level just went through the roof but to me this could only be achieved when it was around 8 degrees or more. Any less ambient temperature and I just couldn't get heat in them the same....

Have two little kids with car seats etc and trying to get all the kit in for one day a week for the school run was a nightmare even with 5drs. This was kind of what put me off getting an OG M2 as a daily in the end but time will tell if I made the right choice or not....

Car never missed a beat and still got attention at 3 1/2 years old. Always put a smile on my face starting the engine and having the car wobble from side to side! Made it feel like an experience in a weird way.......
Appreciate 2
MrFoxy376.50
P-ToK72329.00
      05-04-2020, 10:21 PM   #51
knali8
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3M Comp

Quote:
PCW Exhaust Mods is the guy. Check him out on Facebook. Done a lot of M lites with some good success and only circa £300

F20 M135i was a hoot. It's the first car I have owned that I really didn't want to see go back. I had the M Perf Exhaust too and the sound was amazing especially on cold starts in the garage.

Ultimately it was quick point to point but on most of the country roads round where I live it would get unsettled at speed quite easily. Fair bit of understeer on entry but the fun was to be had in getting your foot down on exit firing yourself up the road.

Michelin PSS were amazing tyres. 14k out of the rears with a lot of punishment is pretty good to me! Once they had a bit of temp in them the grip level just went through the roof but to me this could only be achieved when it was around 8 degrees or more. Any less ambient temperature and I just couldn't get heat in them the same....

Have two little kids with car seats etc and trying to get all the kit in for one day a week for the school run was a nightmare even with 5drs. This was kind of what put me off getting an OG M2 as a daily in the end but time will tell if I made the right choice or not....

Car never missed a beat and still got attention at 3 1/2 years old. Always put a smile on my face starting the engine and having the car wobble from side to side! Made it feel like an experience in a weird way.......
Sounds like it was lots of fun to own. I have heard a lot of M performance exhausts and to be honest they sound fantastic! I don't know if they make one for our cars.. you wouldn't think BMW would make such a loud system.

The M2 would be worse as it's a 2 door but a great car.. it is such an experience to drive!

I miss my six cylinders however after getting an exhaust on mine and having to hear the true exhaust sound, the car is much better to drive especially when it does little pops when changing gears at low revs and letting off the gas at about 2.5k revs.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2022, 06:15 PM   #52
Blackbetty 05
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F40 M135i

Quote:

Sorry for reviving an old thread, just wondering if you could give me the exhaust companies name to have the Y pipe made as I am in Melbourne too.
Also, did you end up confirming that yours had a OPF?
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2022, 11:17 AM   #53
WU9339M
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i F40 + MPerformance

Hi

Has anyone had "check engine" appear after a software update(07/2022.58) on the F40 M135i after installing - https://manhart-performance.de/en/pr...bmw-f4x-mx35i/

��

Last edited by WU9339M; 12-27-2022 at 02:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2023, 02:03 PM   #54
Blxk.M235i
Rep
Drives: bmw m235i f44

Quote:
As promised, pic of the underside of my UK car Feb 20 build. Very much different to yours! Sorry for crap photography!
So I’m sorry that I’m posting here because I have a F44 not a f40 but they are basically the same car. My exhaust system looks exactly like yours. I don’t know if that’s the opf or resonator but I deleted it together with the muffler. The car had pops and bangs stock but now it’s wayyy louder. Only thing worrying me is I got a CEL but my car is a 03/2020 so it’s before the dme lock. I used bimmerlink to code it out but it comes back every few days with this error. If someone could help me with this I would appreciate it! I’ll try to post sound clips for you guys.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-20-2023, 02:06 PM   #55
Blxk.M235i
Rep
Drives: bmw m235i f44

I still have the stock cat in. Car isn’t tuned or anything. The person who made my exhaust said there where no cables connected to it so it didn’t have any sensors. Idk why I’m getting the CEL, when he said I’m not supposed to get any error code🤷.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2024, 12:38 AM   #56
Nikysan
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i F44

Quote:
I was researching on Otto Particle Filter - OPF on the M135i.. if anyone is interested. I was wondering:
1) If the Aus version does have an opf
2) If I can delete mine in order to get some decent sound

I found the answer after reading through some of the M2 forums and it turns out that the Aus version does have an opf. Basically all M135i in Aus are euro 6 compliant ☹

It presents an issue for me because I cannot go to my local exhaust shop and delete the opf without a tune done to eliminate running issues like error codes and/or the car going into limp mode.

There are two options so far that I know of that can get rid of the error codes generated when the sensors detect a difference in exhaust flow (due to the removal of opf)
1) a tune or
2) installing a manhart chip that disables the 02 sensor

So until I find a tuner or buy the chip, I will have to settle for an axle back exhaust.

I found this website WebETK that gives you more info on the opf's and other car parts in general. You will need to enter your VIN details to bring up your vehicle. S1DEA is the OPF code.

If anyone has any info on how to get more sound, please share!

I took a pic of what I think is the opf and resonator? Not sure yet
I've done some research into this as well as I am curious. Australia does not have OPF installed for these cars. S1DEA is not optioned.
Jumping under the car, mine looks exactly like yours and had the silencer had part # 8619455 and the shorter cylinder was #82192830 which is a catalytic converter.

Took me awhile!

Last edited by Nikysan; 02-27-2024 at 01:58 AM.. Reason: Fact check update
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2024, 11:10 AM   #57
jlcrompton
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d and X5 M40D MHT

Car is only 6 weeks old and i had to change it, only done 30 miles so far and no errors, i did buy a OPF delete cable but i don't know where it goes.

Here's what i have got:
Exhaust is Milltek https://autoid.co/products/bmw-m135i...=OrderlyEmails
OPF Delete from Direnza https://www.direnza.co.uk/product/ex...lete-downpipe/

2 of the pictures shows whats come off
OPF Delete cable https://myperformanceparts.com/bmw-o...gle-cable-kit/
Attached Images

Appreciate 0