F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > NBT EVO HU ID4 > ID6 Retrofit
ARMA SPEED

12-20-2022, 09:29 AM   #1
fabje
Rep
Drives: BMW F80 M3

NBT EVO HU ID4 > ID6 Retrofit

Hi all,

Currently I have a F80 M3 from 04/2016, I have had it flashed from ID4 to ID6 by kubax86.
Last week I used the BMW nav and during a trip that takes about 1 hour, the iDrive crashed 3 times.

I know that ID4 comes with 2GB of ram and when you use ID6, 2GB of ram is not enough when you also want to used the BMW Nav.
So I'm thinking of doing a retrofit of the headunit to a version that has a least 4GB of ram.

I just checked what I currently have in the car and that is a NBT EVO HU with HW 2.3.

Also I made a picture of the back of the unit what connections there are and are used.

I read some things about GPS and ATM, but if I'm correct my car already uses ATM because the GPS (blue connector) is with my current setup also not used.
I have found a NBT EVO HU HW3.1 version, with the exact same connections (only the GPS connection is missing) is it then a simple plug & play and some coding?

Will the following unit also work?

This one also have DAB+ so I could retrofit that also, or it that not possible?
I don't care about touchscreen etc so if possible I would like the screen (professional) that I already have.

I'm I missing something, or is my theory correct?

Last edited by fabje; 12-20-2022 at 09:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2022, 11:10 AM   #2
kubax86
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabje View Post
Hi all,

Currently I have a F80 M3 from 04/2016, I have had it flashed from ID4 to ID6 by kubax86.
Last week I used the BMW nav and during a trip that takes about 1 hour, the iDrive crashed 3 times.

I know that ID4 comes with 2GB of ram and when you use ID6, 2GB of ram is not enough when you also want to used the BMW Nav.
So I'm thinking of doing a retrofit of the headunit to a version that has a least 4GB of ram.

I just checked what I currently have in the car and that is a NBT EVO HU with HW 2.3.

Also I made a picture of the back of the unit what connections there are and are used.

I read some things about GPS and ATM, but if I'm correct my car already uses ATM because the GPS (blue connector) is with my current setup also not used.
I have found a NBT EVO HU HW3.1 version, with the exact same connections (only the GPS connection is missing) is it then a simple plug & play and some coding?

Will the following unit also work?

This one also have DAB+ so I could retrofit that also, or it that not possible?
I don't care about touchscreen etc so if possible I would like the screen (professional) that I already have.

I'm I missing something, or is my theory correct?
Yes, this unit will work as well.
It just doesn't have Satellite radio.
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2022, 12:34 PM   #3
fabje
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kubax86 View Post
Yes, this unit will work as well.
It just doesn't have Satellite radio.
Thanks
Thanks, with Satellite radio you mean SiriusXM? I'm from Europe so that doesn't matter
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2022, 10:22 AM   #4
kubax86
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Thanks, with Satellite radio you mean SiriusXM? I'm from Europe so that doesn't matter
Correct
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2023, 02:45 PM   #5
bortak
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 435xd

Quote:
Hi all,

Hi Fabje,

I'm doing literally the exact same "retrofit". Currently driving a 2016 F32 which has NBT Evo.

I've just bought a HW 4.1 ID6 unit, touch screen and controller.

Was all of the wiring the same for both units?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2023, 06:40 AM   #6
fabje
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bortak View Post
Hi Fabje,

I'm doing literally the exact same "retrofit". Currently driving a 2016 F32 which has NBT Evo.

I've just bought a HW 4.1 ID6 unit, touch screen and controller.

Was all of the wiring the same for both units?

Thanks.
Hi, I'm not done yet with the retrofit.

I'm only changing the unit itself, I found a HW 3.1 version with DAB+ and already has ID6 on it. I keep my current screen and controller, I don't like the finger prints on the screen

Yesterday we made a backup of the current FCS, and when I put in the new unit we are going to try if it works to put back those saved FCS, otherwise I'm going to repair pack route.

Also I need to replace the antenna, so I have DAB+ and route a cable from the unit to the antenna, but for that I'm going to wait until better weather.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2023, 10:39 AM   #7
bortak
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 435xd

Quote:
Hi, I'm not done yet with the retrofit.

I'm only changing the unit itself, I found a HW 3.1 version with DAB+ and already has ID6 on it. I keep my current screen and controller, I don't like the finger prints on the screen

Yesterday we made a backup of the current FCS, and when I put in the new unit we are going to try if it works to put back those saved FCS, otherwise I'm going to repair pack route.

Also I need to replace the antenna, so I have DAB+ and route a cable from the unit to the antenna, but for that I'm going to wait until better weather.
Thought you'd need a voltage regulator and all sorts of nonsense if you want to keep the older screen?

Don't have to use the touchscreen (or just keep a nice microfibre handy)

Luckily since I have a 2016 car I hopefully won't have to faff around with a lot of this stuff.
Appreciate 1
      02-08-2023, 06:45 AM   #8
mixmastermike
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by bortak View Post
Thought you'd need a voltage regulator and all sorts of nonsense if you want to keep the older screen?

Don't have to use the touchscreen (or just keep a nice microfibre handy)

Luckily since I have a 2016 car I hopefully won't have to faff around with a lot of this stuff.

Im also about to go through this process, I picked up A HW 4.1 head unit and controller. Interested to see how this works out.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2023, 10:48 AM   #9
fabje
Rep

I have now the unit worked in the car kubax86 helped me with the coding of the unit.
Including getting the service history from the old unit to the new unit, and already coding in DAB+, now it's up to me to replace the antenna and get the cable from the unit to the antenna.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2023, 04:47 AM   #10
Wibbles
Coding ECU's remotely
Rep
Drives: M3LR

Only thing to remember, if you car coming from ID4 then the screen (CID) will be an APIX1 - therefore, the latest firmware the headunit can take is 18-03 (NBTEvo_N) - after that you will get random black screens on the CID, this is because the HU is expecting APIX2 screen.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2023, 05:17 PM   #11
kubax86
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I have now the unit worked in the car kubax86 helped me with the coding of the unit.
Including getting the service history from the old unit to the new unit, and already coding in DAB+, now it's up to me to replace the antenna and get the cable from the unit to the antenna.
Thanks for trust
Appreciate 2