F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Winter tyres. Are they needed in the uk?
Studio RSR

08-20-2016, 09:36 AM   #45
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by MashinBenzin View Post
...For anyone that hasn't driven on winter tyres, the difference is night and day chaps, it really is! The very worst thing about winter tyres on snowy urban roads down south is the knowledge that almost no-one else has them, so you have to be careful not to overuse the braking ability that you have or you could end up fooling the following car into rear ending you. People forget that their 4x4 may supply traction but it doesn't add stopping power.
I also feel many drivers don't fully appreciate the winter tyre's ability in really poor conditions. I took the opportunity to try my summer and winter wheel sets on ice and snow, on the same road, on the same day. No comparison for grip levels, braking particularly stood out, even on solid ice.

Braking is my biggest concern up here, other drivers in a world of their own, believing they are OK if they can get going.

One of the worst is a 4x4 behind you, (you know the invincible type), convinced they have grip on summer tyres, due to being a "4x4". They get far too close, as if they can stop more readily because they are in this 'superior' vehicle. No idea they'd be up the back of the RWD BMW (that is hopeless in snow), if I seriously applied the brakes without a huge gap between us.

It is another reason we see so many 4x4 in ditches, no idea of the limitations.
Appreciate 4
Rbrown2766.50
rich100874.50
GaryUFM189.00
      08-20-2016, 10:21 AM   #46
Rich9600
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete
One of the worst is a 4x4 behind you, (you know the invincible type), convinced they have grip on summer tyres, due to being a "4x4". They get far too close, as if they can stop more readily because they are in this 'superior' vehicle. No idea they'd be up the back of the RWD BMW (that is hopeless in snow), if I seriously applied the brakes without a huge gap between us.

It is another reason we see so many 4x4 in ditches, no idea of the limitations.
This is certainly the case.

Last winter we went from the west coast of Cumbria over to Newcastle for some Christmas shopping. Glorious sunshine and no inclement weather forecast. We had a good shop round Eldon Square, inside always and whilst my wife tried on some clothes I sat on a husband seat and looked out the window. It was white everywhere! I checked on my phone, the A66 was shut but the A69 was still open.

Anyway we finished up our shopping and headed back to the RWD BMW shod with its winter tyres. Drove out of the snowy car park and headed for the Pennines. Car behaving impeccably on a wet snowy surface. Even when I tried stupid things for research...

On the dual carnage way A69 we were about 3 from the front traveling at a decent speed in the ruts but with a good space in front and behind. An invincible Range Rover Evoke joined the road in the gap behind and sat very close behind me. So, I increased my gap in front so I could brake safely for us both. The Evoke then gets bored and decides to overtake me just as the snow cover on the road increases, once past the white snow/slush between the inside and outside ruts is much greater with the outside ruts becoming increasingly narrow.

As the Evoke moved into the inside lane across the snow/slush it had quite a "moment" and they braked quite had and then we were stuck behind them driving much slower than I had originally been going as the traffic I front of the Evoke disappeared into the distance keeping well within the ruts.

Once the snow cleared on the westward decent I overtook the Evoke which was still going very slowly and possibly considering good seat cleaning products...

The picture is in Newcastle, there was much more snow up on the A69.

225/45/R18 all round on 8J and 8.5J staggered 441M rims.
Attached Images

08-20-2016, 10:29 AM   #47
Tom Tallon
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 335 XDRIVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Or... Simply don't read threads of no personal value, or interest.
I agree with this . In fairness to the thread originator, he did personalise this a fair bit for an answer. Its not his fault if people go back to the generic question " are winter tyres really necessary" or " is all wheel drive better than winter tyres".
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2016, 10:41 AM   #48
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Tallon View Post
I agree with this . In fairness to the thread originator, he did personalise this a fair bit for an answer. Its not his fault if people go back to the generic question " are winter tyres really necessary" or " is all wheel drive better than winter tyres".
Agree, the OP asked a very sensible question and really we should have steered it more to a "decent all season tyres" discussion, and whether they are the best compromise for the OP's situation.

But we do tend to go around in circles on forums. It's the nature of the beast.

Same as our US cousins, if they mention oil changes, always get into the same debates on changing oil every 5,000 miles or so.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2016, 10:45 AM   #49
Rich9600
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Tallon View Post
Agree, the OP asked a very sensible question and really we should have steered it more to a "decent all season tyres" discussion, and whether they are the best compromise for the OP's situation.

But we do tend to go around in circles on forums. It's the nature of the beast.

Same as our US cousins, if they mention oil changes, always get into the same debates on changing oil every 5,000 miles or so.
Those Michelin Cross Climates look the ticket, just not available in Blue Brake sizes yet.

These, in run flat, for winter usage would probably suit most users just fine. If they aren't M+S marked we could even use staggered tyres without deviating from the insurance pleasing BMW spec.

Edit, I recognise staggered aren ideal for snow. However, for other winter conditions they would be less problematic and allow the enjoyment of the cars power better on better days. My 225 winters don't cope well with RWD delivery of power on better days when I want to play.
      08-20-2016, 11:17 AM   #50
pmgreenwood
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 320D se auto sold, Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich9600 View Post
Those Michelin Cross Climates look the ticket, just not available in Blue Brake sizes yet.

These, in run flat, for winter usage would probably suit most users just fine.
Michelin crossclimate even in the 17s are only currently available non runflat, in fact as far as I can find no runflat availability at all yet, same with the Nokian equivalent.

It will be interesting to see which tyre manufacturer is first to produce an all climate runflat tyre in an adequate spread of sizes, when such happens and whether BMW put their stamp on it.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2016, 11:34 AM   #51
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmgreenwood View Post
Michelin crossclimate even in the 17s are only currently available non runflat, in fact as far as I can find no runflat availability at all yet, same with the Nokian equivalent.

It will be interesting to see which tyre manufacturer is first to produce an all climate runflat tyre in an adequate spread of sizes, when such happens and whether BMW put their stamp on it.
Personally I think it will take a while to get the best product to the marketplace, even if technically there aren't too many compromises.

Choice of a tyre usually has some compromise anyway, even if it is a simple decision on the best wet or dry weather bias. Getting a cross season tyre for a wide range of car specifications will be quite a challenge for any tyre manufacturer. As an indicator, current All Season tyres are usually too big a compromise for many users. In a variable climate like ours, the All Season tyre really ought to be a favourite. We've tended to go the other way to High Performance summer tyres, and expect them to work in all UK seasons.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2016, 02:48 AM   #52
Ashway
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: RR Vogue Westminster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Consett Mag View Post
Living in North East England, 900 feet up, I wouldn't be without them from November to April. It's about betting the probability of a proper deluge of snow or on just untreated roads - the latter being a certainty in the current climate of council cutbacks.

One crash into something is IMO worth the £1200 I spent for 3 years or so of added confidence. It also keeps my lovely alloys away from salty roads.
I'm with you, not just about snow but cold icy roads winter tyres are so much better.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2016, 02:50 AM   #53
Ashway
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: RR Vogue Westminster

Quote:
Originally Posted by djcowlin View Post
That's Consett for you! Durham City is a bit different...
but by the time you get to Spennymoor you need them again
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2016, 10:38 AM   #54
Tom Tallon
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 335 XDRIVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashway View Post
but by the time you get to Spennymoor you need them again
And South Shields is sub-tropical
Appreciate 0