E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Has anyone had luck winning a UPS claim...

02-11-2015, 02:47 AM   #1
Game
------
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 (sold)

Has anyone had luck winning a UPS claim...

and receiving the full declared value?

Recently I sent out my custom DIY headlight to Lightwerkz to have it resealed. The package arrived late (apparently they sent it to the wrong distribution center) as well as damaged. One of the tabs was broken and both umnitza orion v4 rings as well as one of the shrouds were jarred loose.

I started a claim the same day Lightwerkz contacted me the news.

Anyone have experience with the UPS claims department? Time table?
      02-11-2015, 04:05 AM   #2
MORTON
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' N54 6SPD E90

Wow I would def persue this man they hosed you bad. I would assume the process like most is painstakingly long.. I'll see if I can find some info for you man. In the mean time from what your describing it sounds like this happened to your stuff:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ight=335+vs+m3
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2015, 04:14 AM   #3
MORTON
Major
United_States
Rep

Okay apparently you need to save the shipping box as they commonly use this to deny your claim. They'll likely ask you for it and if you don't have it they can automatically deny your claim. I'll try and get some more info to you soon but for now go dig the box out of the trash.

Appreciate 0
      02-11-2015, 05:31 AM   #4
Game
------
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MORTON View Post
Wow I would def persue this man they hosed you bad. I would assume the process like most is painstakingly long.. I'll see if I can find some info for you man. In the mean time from what your describing it sounds like this happened to your stuff:

Quote:
Okay apparently you need to save the shipping box as they commonly use this to deny your claim. They'll likely ask you for it and if you don't have it they can automatically deny your claim. I'll try and get some more info to you soon but for now go dig the box out of the trash.
lmao, that clip was hilarious.

I'm worried about the length of this claim...simply because my car now has one headlight.

The box is still over at Lightwerkz and hopefully gets picked up by UPS soon. They've been through this before and have been contacted to leave the box alone. I believe the next step is they pick up the box and send it out for investigation. Either way, I wonder if it's possible for them to pay me the declared value AND I receive my headlight back. I only insured it for $800...which now it seems like I should have insured even more.

They better not give me some BS and tell me I didn't pack it well enough. For that sort of extensive damage, they're to blame.
      02-11-2015, 05:50 AM   #5
MORTON
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Game View Post
lmao, that clip was hilarious.

I'm worried about the length of this claim...simply because my car now has one headlight.

The box is still over at Lightwerkz and hopefully gets picked up by UPS soon. They've been through this before and have been contacted to leave the box alone. I believe the next step is they pick up the box and send it out for investigation. Either way, I wonder if it's possible for them to pay me the declared value AND I receive my headlight back. I only insured it for $800...which now it seems like I should have insured even more.

They better not give me some BS and tell me I didn't pack it well enough. For that sort of extensive damage, they're to blame.
lol I thought you would like it just trying to make light of your situation. on a serious note I suggest you call them yourself and explain the issue and mention that (Lightwerks) has also contacted them. Get a REF number for your claim and also tell them that your vehicle currently only has one headlight and that you will now "miss work" as it is illegal to drive with only one headlight. Ask to speak straight with a manager don't even deal with lower level, they are all programmed to say the same shit so get a manager to begin with. See if they can either A speed the process or B at a minimum temporarily reimburse you for the assembly so you can have a drivable legal vehicle. In the future when shipping items always insure twice the amount of the cost of whatever your shipping.

Appreciate 0
      02-11-2015, 05:57 AM   #6
Game
------
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
lol I thought you would like it just trying to make light of your situation. on a serious note I suggest you call them yourself and explain the issue and mention that (Lightwerks) has also contacted them. Get a REF number for your claim and also tell them that your vehicle currently only has one headlight and that you will now "miss work" as it is illegal to drive with only one headlight. Ask to speak straight with a manager don't even deal with lower level, they are all programmed to say the same shit so get a manager to begin with. See if they can either A speed the process or B at a minimum temporarily reimburse you for the assembly so you can have a drivable legal vehicle. In the future when shipping items always insure twice the amount of the cost of whatever your shipping.
Solid suggestions here. I'm definitely going to contact UPS to expedite the process.

Thank you.
      02-11-2015, 05:21 PM   #7
MORTON
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Solid suggestions here. I'm definitely going to contact UPS to expedite the process.

Thank you.
no problem brother let us know how it goes and nice ride BTW

Appreciate 0
      02-11-2015, 05:35 PM   #8
1chanc3
Major
Rep
Drives: 2010 e92 335i

Quote:

Thank you.

I have actually "won" a case against UPS, albeit it was through small claims court.

I was selling one of my dad's high end amplifiers, $5000 amp weighing 62lbs to someone. I even purchased the appropriate shipping insurance for it. (no help)

The customer received it with the box damaged and then opened the package to find the front glass panel cracked, rear sheet metal panel bent, some connectors bent. I immediately filed a insurance claim. They will send out an "adjuster" to see the item (depending on value) and take pictures to determine packaging, item damage, etc.

They ultimately said it was because the box I used wasn't OEM from the manufacturer and did not support the weight of the item. (They will keep saying that if you used your own box that you improperly packaged it and they will keep using this logic against you. Don't fall for it.) However, I had used a wooden crate and customized Styrofoam to conform to the amp.
There was also box damage to show that it was indeed dropped!
I had a ton of BEFORE shipping pictures to show that it was in perfect condition prior. (THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT)

They didn't want to give me the money for the amp. So I ended up taking the local UPS store to small claims court for mishandling my item. We eventually settled outside of court.
      02-11-2015, 06:30 PM   #9
kressley
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

A saving grace also is if your box had the crush weight seal on the bottom. Sometimes (usually) this is the easiest and fastest way they deny the claim.

They will say like above the box was not suited for shipping. This is why they need to "inspect" the shipping carton used.

Also they will look at the packing materials used and in many cases they will deem that unacceptable and deny the claim. They are all about loopholes.

I ship with UPS daily. Only saving grace for me is I have a direct relationship with our UPS rep, so when/if there is a damaged package and it gets denied, she is the first person I call and she overrides the adjuster and authorizes the claim right away.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2015, 03:21 AM   #10
Game
------
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
no problem brother let us know how it goes and nice ride BTW
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1chanc3 View Post
I have actually "won" a case against UPS, albeit it was through small claims court.

I was selling one of my dad's high end amplifiers, $5000 amp weighing 62lbs to someone. I even purchased the appropriate shipping insurance for it. (no help)

The customer received it with the box damaged and then opened the package to find the front glass panel cracked, rear sheet metal panel bent, some connectors bent. I immediately filed a insurance claim. They will send out an "adjuster" to see the item (depending on value) and take pictures to determine packaging, item damage, etc.

They ultimately said it was because the box I used wasn't OEM from the manufacturer and did not support the weight of the item. (They will keep saying that if you used your own box that you improperly packaged it and they will keep using this logic against you. Don't fall for it.) However, I had used a wooden crate and customized Styrofoam to conform to the amp.
There was also box damage to show that it was indeed dropped!
I had a ton of BEFORE shipping pictures to show that it was in perfect condition prior. (THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT)

They didn't want to give me the money for the amp. So I ended up taking the local UPS store to small claims court for mishandling my item. We eventually settled outside of court.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kressley View Post
A saving grace also is if your box had the crush weight seal on the bottom. Sometimes (usually) this is the easiest and fastest way they deny the claim.

They will say like above the box was not suited for shipping. This is why they need to "inspect" the shipping carton used.

Also they will look at the packing materials used and in many cases they will deem that unacceptable and deny the claim. They are all about loopholes.

I ship with UPS daily. Only saving grace for me is I have a direct relationship with our UPS rep, so when/if there is a damaged package and it gets denied, she is the first person I call and she overrides the adjuster and authorizes the claim right away.
Thanks guys.

UPS has told me there is no way they can expedite the claim process. The box left my house in new'ish condition and arrived beat up. The headlight weighed under 8 pounds so definitely not heavy.

I guess now it's just a waiting game. So frustrating.

Anyone know if I can collect my money AND receive my old headlight back?
      02-12-2015, 03:26 AM   #11
kressley
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Normally if they pay the claim they keep the item.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2015, 09:11 AM   #12
ajaye
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 328xi SGM

As someone who worked in shipping/logistics for 15 years, there are things you should do to protect yourself before you ship.

1. LABELS. Labels won't protect the item from getting damaged. Some would argue they can have the opposite effect. When you submit your claim, though, its hard to deny when you have giant FRAGILE and DO NOT STACK labels all over the package.

2. PACKAGING. You can't over-pack an item. Tape, bubble wrap, and the like are cheap compared to the cost of replacing broken stuff and even the time you spend chasing down a damage claim with shipping companies. FYI, the claims department is like the worst possible job you can have in the industry, even the other departments within a company hate the people that work in claims.

3. Shock-watch, TipnTells, Crush indicators. Hard to get your hands on because they only sell them by the case, but if you know someone in the industry, they can be pretty useful. If you do use a shock watch, tipntell or temperature tattler, always put one on BOTH the outside AND inside of the box. Activated tattlers have a way of mysteriously falling off the box before it gets delivered.

4. READ THE TERMS YOU ARE AGREEING TO BEFORE YOU TENDER AN ITEM TO BE SHIPPED. When you sign the paperwork to ship something, you are signing a contract. There is fine print, read it.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2015, 09:27 AM   #13
1chanc3
Major
Rep
Drives: 2010 e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaye View Post
As someone who worked in shipping/logistics for 15 years, there are things you should do to protect yourself before you ship.

3. Shock-watch, TipnTells, Crush indicators. Hard to get your hands on because they only sell them by the case, but if you know someone in the industry, they can be pretty useful. If you do use a shock watch, tipntell or temperature tattler, always put one on BOTH the outside AND inside of the box. Activated tattlers have a way of mysteriously falling off the box before it gets delivered.

THIS. We use them in my work and we ship $200k medical devices. If the item is over $500, I've learned to spend $2-3 on one of these items to ensure that it is handled carefully.
      02-12-2015, 09:43 AM   #14
Taran.J
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW, LEX, MBZ, RAM, TESLA

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1chanc3
Quote:

THIS. We use them in my work and we ship $200k medical devices. If the item is over $500, I've learned to spend $2-3 on one of these items to ensure that it is handled carefully.
Both of these very valid points

Sorry to hear your situation bro. Sucks.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2015, 11:27 AM   #15
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

I thought the seller handled....because I got hosed on an eBay transaction on a pretty pricey golf club. The seller said he'd take care of it, simply waited until it was too late for me to provide negative feedback.

In other words, say you got something from amazon, it was broken or lost. Amazon takes care of it, and makes you whole, amazon worries about UPS, not you....
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2015, 11:36 AM   #16
MORTON
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:

1. LABELS. Labels won't protect the item from getting damaged. Some would argue they can have the opposite effect. When you submit your claim, though, its hard to deny when you have giant FRAGILE and DO NOT STACK labels all over the package.

2. PACKAGING. You can't over-pack an item. Tape, bubble wrap, and the like are cheap compared to the cost of replacing broken stuff and even the time you spend chasing down a damage claim with shipping companies. FYI, the claims department is like the worst possible job you can have in the industry, even the other departments within a company hate the people that work in claims.

4. READ THE TERMS YOU ARE AGREEING TO BEFORE YOU TENDER AN ITEM TO BE SHIPPED. When you sign the paperwork to ship something, you are signing a contract. There is fine print, read it.
so do you have a spare box of these gadgets my home slice can get for next time? lol

Appreciate 0
      02-15-2015, 08:42 AM   #17
gds52
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4M Coupe, BMW 328i E93 Co

Good luck, I hope u get ur claim.
I prefer FedEx and USPS over UPS any day.
Appreciate 0