BMW 2-Series Gran Coupe
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 1 Series Forum Second Generation (F40) BMW 1 Series (F40) General Discussion

05-21-2020, 06:15 AM   #23
fcleitao
Macau
Rep
Drives: F40 118i

For all the obd adapters listed in bimmercode's website, is there any difference for each of them? Like for F series there's four Bluetooth obd adapters, how to choose?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 08:01 AM   #24
knali8
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3M Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcleitao View Post
For all the obd adapters listed in bimmercode's website, is there any difference for each of them? Like for F series there's four Bluetooth obd adapters, how to choose?
If you fo to bimmercode and put in your vehicle f40 etc, it will tell you which obd adapters have the most functionality for your car.

I use uniscan
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 10:54 AM   #25
fcleitao
Macau
Rep
Drives: F40 118i

Quote:
Originally Posted by knali8 View Post
Quote:
If you fo to bimmercode and put in your vehicle f40 etc, it will tell you which obd adapters have the most functionality for your car.

I use uniscan
Thanks. I tried but only show available codes, but didn't suggest any adapter option.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 11:20 PM   #26
knali8
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Thanks. I tried but only show available codes, but didn't suggest any adapter option.
You're right there are a couple steps that I hadn't mentioned. But basically these are the recommended obd scanners

“UniCarScan“, “OBDLink” or ENET adapter

Bimmercode support is also very good and quick to respond.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2020, 06:50 PM   #27
TH15BMW
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 3 Series 320d Lux Touring

Keen to get started tinkering with my new 2020 one series what OBD can i use with the bimmercode app?

I have a cable for my 2015 3 series... could i connect that to my macbook then join the phone as a hotspot? Would it connect to the app that way or should i just buy a dongle
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2020, 11:15 PM   #28
knali8
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TH15BMW View Post
Keen to get started tinkering with my new 2020 one series what OBD can i use with the bimmercode app?

I have a cable for my 2015 3 series... could i connect that to my macbook then join the phone as a hotspot? Would it connect to the app that way or should i just buy a dongle
Not sure about that sorry. Maybe hit up bimmercode and ask them for their recommendation.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2020, 07:32 PM   #29
dappercivility
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
Be interesting to hear if someone manages to code pops and bangs back into the 2020 build M135is
The pops and crackles can only be brought back by flashing the map on the ecu and not accessible via the normal coding. Does the 2020 build have the pops and crackle removed?
      07-13-2020, 02:07 AM   #30
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by dappercivility View Post
Quote:
Be interesting to hear if someone manages to code pops and bangs back into the 2020 build M135is
The pops and crackles can only be brought back by flashing the map on the ecu and not accessible via the normal coding. Does the 2020 build have the pops and crackle removed?
Yes. Ongoing noise regs so no poos and bangs on approx Feb/March 2020 builds.
      07-13-2020, 05:54 AM   #31
dappercivility
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Competition

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dappercivility View Post
Quote:
Yes. Ongoing noise regs so no poos and bangs on approx Feb/March 2020 builds.
What a waste! All the noise regulations have spoilt the fun for would be buyers!
      07-15-2020, 09:17 AM   #32
MrFoxy
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: F40 M135i. G42 M240i

Just had some coding done on the car!

Video in motion

Video via USB

Change idrive Startup Emblem to BMW M

Enable Colder Air Conditioning

enable one touch front window close when when door opened

Emergency Brake Force Display - Flashing

Change startup mode to
Enable Comfort Plus Mode

Enable sports plus mode

Enable Comfort Plus Mode options in Eco Pro Individual

Change Dash Layout and Logo to BMW M

Enable tire temperature and pressure display

Enable one click 5 indicator blink option in Exterior Lighting setting

Bower & Wilkins settings.

These are not all settings, only the ones I picked.

Got to admit I was well impressed to say the least!

Sport+ mode is noticeably better than sport! Just had a thrash heading into work and totally loving it!
Appreciate 2
JustChris17426.00
      07-15-2020, 09:44 AM   #33
Gregus330i
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i M Sport

Have you got the OBD link LX or MX dongles or something similar?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2020, 11:14 AM   #34
MrFoxy
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregus330i View Post
Have you got the OBD link LX or MX dongles or something similar?
I used an OBD cable mate, all coding was done remotely. The guy who done it can code your car anywhere on the planet. I'm sure he's based in the UK.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2020, 11:41 AM   #35
Gregus330i
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

You chose some great settings, I want the M logo on my idrive and dash also. Enabling sport plus sounds good! Plus I want to switch off active sound design so I can hear my actual exhaust when the valve is open, sport setting, which also gives that horrible fake sound
Appreciate 2
MrFoxy372.50
      07-15-2020, 01:47 PM   #36
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
You chose some great settings, I want the M logo on my idrive and dash also. Enabling sport plus sounds good! Plus I want to switch off active sound design so I can hear my actual exhaust when the valve is open, sport setting, which also gives that horrible fake sound
You can change the Active sound just in normal iDrive settings.

Car
Settings
Engine Sound

I think is the menu tree option..
      07-15-2020, 02:38 PM   #37
Gregus330i
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

That's the problem. I want to have no fake sound with exhaust valve open, which needs to be coded. The settings under Engine sound are:

1. Depending on driving mode (in Sport, exhaust valve is open in this setting but there's loud fake engine sound, so I can't hear the exhaust!)
2. Balanced mode (not used this)
3. Reduced mode (in Sport setting, exhaust valve is closed and there's no fake engine sound)

I want exhaust valve open AND no fake engine sound, which can only be coded. I've ordered a Vgate 2 dongle and will use that to change a few things on the car
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2020, 01:43 AM   #38
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
That's the problem. I want to have no fake sound with exhaust valve open, which needs to be coded. The settings under Engine sound are:

1. Depending on driving mode (in Sport, exhaust valve is open in this setting but there's loud fake engine sound, so I can't hear the exhaust!)
3. Reduced mode (in Sport setting, exhaust valve is closed and there's no fake engine sound)

I want exhaust valve open AND no fake engine sound, which can only be coded. I've ordered a Vgate 2 dongle and will use that to change a few things on the car
Really this also changes the exhaust valve setting. Wasn't aware as don't use it much. That's a shame as I thought it was to address the much maligned ASD only.

The exhausts are quiet enough already!
      07-16-2020, 03:21 AM   #39
MrFoxy
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep

Quote:

I put the car in sport with engine running and valves open, then disconnected the actuator and taped it up to keep it waterproof then zip tied it.

Valves are always open no matter the setting and sounds 10 times better.

Keep us posted if you can code the valves open mate.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2020, 11:54 AM   #40
Gregus330i
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

The Vgate icar pro dongle arrived today so I've disabled active sound (fake interior sound), changed idrive start display to M and a couple of other things. But I can't find sport plus - Is that under expert mode and is there any way to see all those options in English, as they're all in German
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2020, 01:55 PM   #41
MrFoxy
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
The Vgate icar pro dongle arrived today so I've disabled active sound (fake interior sound), changed idrive start display to M and a couple of other things. But I can't find sport plus - Is that under expert mode and is there any way to see all those options in English, as they're all in German
I've honestly no idea mate, mine was all done by someone else remotely.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2020, 02:01 PM   #42
Gregus330i
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

I've done it, now got Sport Plus. There's also a Comfort Plus but this doesn't work because there's no Comfort Individual menu, to customise. Sport Plus is on my iDrive now, so I have engine sport plus and transmission sport plus options.

When I try them tomorrow I'll post what each setting is like and what they're both like when set to sport plus. The engine sport plus is interesting, I wonder if it will change the exhaust sound........... Tomorrow

Last edited by Gregus330i; 07-18-2020 at 02:46 PM..
Appreciate 2
MrFoxy372.50
JustChris17426.00
      07-19-2020, 09:51 AM   #43
Gregus330i
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Well, I coded Sport Plus and the results were nil. I'll explain.

Once coded, Sport Plus appears on the iDrive under Sport Individual settings. 2 items can be Sport plus - ENGINE sound and TRANSMISSION.
I tried engine sound Sport Plus first, thinking what could this possibly do to enhance the engine sound? When Sport is selected, together with 'depending on driving mode' setting another another menu of engine sound, the exhaust valve is open - You cannot enhance the engine sound more than this! As I thought, this Sport Plus setting in engine sound did absolutely nothing.
I selected Sport under engine sound so I could see if Sport plus improved anything under the transmission setting, then after this experiment I would then select sport plus for both engine sound and transmission. Also experiment with keep car in D then manual paddle shifts (M1, etc) then sport shifts (S1, etc)
With transmission in sport plus, there was absolutely no difference at all! Even with sport plus selected also for engine sound as well as transmission there was no change at all, neither was there any change whether driving in D, manual or sport manual. Unless I missed something? (which I don't think I did) I'm open to be corrected/helped!
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2020, 02:14 PM   #44
MrFoxy
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Well, I coded Sport Plus and the results were nil. I'll explain.

Once coded, Sport Plus appears on the iDrive under Sport Individual settings. 2 items can be Sport plus - ENGINE sound and TRANSMISSION.
I tried engine sound Sport Plus first, thinking what could this possibly do to enhance the engine sound? When Sport is selected, together with 'depending on driving mode' setting another another menu of engine sound, the exhaust valve is open - You cannot enhance the engine sound more than this! As I thought, this Sport Plus setting in engine sound did absolutely nothing.
I selected Sport under engine sound so I could see if Sport plus improved anything under the transmission setting, then after this experiment I would then select sport plus for both engine sound and transmission. Also experiment with keep car in D then manual paddle shifts (M1, etc) then sport shifts (S1, etc)
With transmission in sport plus, there was absolutely no difference at all! Even with sport plus selected also for engine sound as well as transmission there was no change at all, neither was there any change whether driving in D, manual or sport manual. Unless I missed something? (which I don't think I did) I'm open to be corrected/helped!
I don't have engine sound option on any settings before or after coding, only in the main general settings I could change setting to Balanced or Reduced.

My car 100% feels different in Sport+ and the exterior sound pulling away hard is night and day, no idea if my valves being deleted from 200 miles on the clock has something to do with it 🤷🏼*♂️ (3500 odd) on it now.
Appreciate 0