Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Sim Racing

Anyone build their own sim racing rig?

Am looking to put something together, preferably VR, on an expandable platform where I can add motion actuators at some point.

What VR platform is the best?

What games/software should I checkout?

Am looking for the most realistic experience, with a variety of tracks to drive on. Specifically GT type cars, not F1.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2019, 03:22 PM   #2
antych
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M4CP SO

Garage List
2014 BMW M4  [10.00]
HP Reverb is best VR for sim racing. Pimax 8KX could be even better, but it's not out yet.
Appreciate 1
detroitm22424.50
      12-06-2019, 03:25 PM   #3
Conissah
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitm2 View Post
Anyone build their own sim racing rig?

Am looking to put something together, preferably VR, on an expandable platform where I can add motion actuators at some point.

What VR platform is the best?

What games/software should I checkout?

Am looking for the most realistic experience, with a variety of tracks to drive on. Specifically GT type cars, not F1.
While I don't quite know much about adding movement to a platform, I can speak on some of the points.

For a VR headset, get whatever you like the best and whatever is the most comfortable. I prefer roomscale headset so you dont have to set up IR cameras, and I LOVE my Oculus Quest. It has it's limitations, but for $400 it's amazing. I MUCH prefer it over the Vive.

If you don't already have a wheel setup, Fanatac is very very highly regarded. I personally use a Logitech G27 though.

For games, Assetto Corsa is good (from what I have heard and read, never used it personally). I really like iRacing, but it can be a bit costly. At work in our multi-million dollar sim, we use RFactor 2. Felt extremely extremely realistic, but I have no idea how they have it running, and I know we have our own tire / aero systems running.
Appreciate 1
detroitm22424.50
      12-17-2019, 03:32 PM   #4
RMachuca3d
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Msport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conissah View Post
While I don't quite know much about adding movement to a platform, I can speak on some of the points.

For a VR headset, get whatever you like the best and whatever is the most comfortable. I prefer roomscale headset so you dont have to set up IR cameras, and I LOVE my Oculus Quest. It has it's limitations, but for $400 it's amazing. I MUCH prefer it over the Vive.

If you don't already have a wheel setup, Fanatac is very very highly regarded. I personally use a Logitech G27 though.

For games, Assetto Corsa is good (from what I have heard and read, never used it personally). I really like iRacing, but it can be a bit costly. At work in our multi-million dollar sim, we use RFactor 2. Felt extremely extremely realistic, but I have no idea how they have it running, and I know we have our own tire / aero systems running.
Are you sure its not RFactor Pro? not the same as RF2.

+1 for iracing and AC competizione.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2019, 03:52 PM   #5
Conissah
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMachuca3d View Post
Are you sure its not RFactor Pro? not the same as RF2.

+1 for iracing and AC competizione.
Ah, I may have misheard "pro" as "two." Valid point.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2020, 09:16 AM   #6
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Reviving this thread as I finally pulled the trigger. Decided against VR and went with a triple 27" monitor setup at 1440p. Custom built PC with an RTX 2080 Super video card.

Going with an 80/20 built chassis bought from 4playracing on ebay, pretty much the only person in the US still holding stock.

For hardware, I went with a full Fanatec setup with their clubsport setup (BMW GT2 Wheel obviously)

For a seat, I went with an OMF TRS-X.

Stuff should start arriving today, the chassis will likely take a week or two.

Super stoked to get behind the wheel
Appreciate 0