BMW 2-Series Gran Coupe
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 1 Series Forum Second Generation (F40) BMW 1 Series (F40) General Discussion

08-04-2020, 08:44 AM   #1
DaveA
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i xDrive

Audio Inputs....

Apparently, the sorts of audio inputs you can use in the F40 1 series with iDrive 7 (either with cockpit pro or plus) have changed from when I was last up to date with BMW audio options...

I am looking at the 135 at the moment but am struggling to find detail (online) as to what you can and cannot do as regards connecting your own music into the system... I have a large digital archive with lossless files...

So, by way of feedback from existing owners, I am keen to understand what inputs you have for music on your F40 1 series cars... ...

USB port(s) that are usable for audio..? (and how many)
Hard Drive..?
SD slots..?
Bluetooth from phone/device (not my preferred)..?
CarPlay..?
Android Car thingy..?

I believe there are options to use streaming in the car without your own phone/device, but I have no idea of costs/capabilities... Can you stream lossless Tidal into the car without your phone, for instance...

Any help, toughts, feedback most welcome... 🙂
CAR HISTORY - Golf GTI 245 - F30 340i M Sport - F30 330d M Sport MPPK - F30 320d Sport - 997 Gen2 GT3 - 987 Cayman S - 986 Boxster S - Ibiza Cupra - Polo 16v - E30 M3 (Official GB import) - Integra 16v - Mk2 Polo S - Mk1 Golf C
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2020, 11:25 AM   #2
P-ToK72
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G21 M340i

I use a couple of USB connected portable hard drives (can remember the size off the top of my head) with my collection of music that is in the format of standard MP3 files (CDs ripped through iTunes).

With my previous BMW 3 series I reached a maximum number which could be read from one source so had to split it down onto a second hard drive but I am nit sure if this has changed with the idrive 7.

I do have a pdf copy of the audio manual which I can send you if you dm me your email address. I haven't studied the routes of other formats but the book says MP3, MP4, M4A, M4B, AAC and WMA.

Currently driving G21 M340i Touring
Previous F40 M135i and F31 335d Touring
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2020, 12:16 PM   #3
DaveA
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-ToK72 View Post
I use a couple of USB connected portable hard drives (can remember the size off the top of my head) with my collection of music that is in the format of standard MP3 files (CDs ripped through iTunes).

With my previous BMW 3 series I reached a maximum number which could be read from one source so had to split it down onto a second hard drive but I am nit sure if this has changed with the idrive 7.

I do have a pdf copy of the audio manual which I can send you if you dm me your email address. I haven't studied the routes of other formats but the book says MP3, MP4, M4A, M4B, AAC and WMA.
m4a is good for me (Apple Lossless) ...

So you are plugging into USB ports in the car and the drives have enough power to drive them... managed through the iDrive interface, correct...?

How many USB ports do you have and where are they...?
CAR HISTORY - Golf GTI 245 - F30 340i M Sport - F30 330d M Sport MPPK - F30 320d Sport - 997 Gen2 GT3 - 987 Cayman S - 986 Boxster S - Ibiza Cupra - Polo 16v - E30 M3 (Official GB import) - Integra 16v - Mk2 Polo S - Mk1 Golf C
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2020, 01:08 PM   #4
P-ToK72
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G21 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveA View Post
m4a is good for me (Apple Lossless) ...

So you are plugging into USB ports in the car and the drives have enough power to drive them... managed through the iDrive interface, correct...?

How many USB ports do you have and where are they...?
I believe there are 4 points within the cabin.

There is a USB-B in center console, a USB-C in the central armrest box (which I have used so the hard drive is out iPod sight) and a pair of USB-C in the rear under the central vents (ideal for charging kids gadgets).

There is power enough to drive the hard drive I use, works well.

Currently driving G21 M340i Touring
Previous F40 M135i and F31 335d Touring
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2020, 02:49 PM   #5
DaveA
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-ToK72 View Post
I believe there are 4 points within the cabin.

There is a USB-B in center console, a USB-C in the central armrest box (which I have used so the hard drive is out iPod sight) and a pair of USB-C in the rear under the central vents (ideal for charging kids gadgets).

There is power enough to drive the hard drive I use, works well.
Sounds pretty generous, really... and I would probably do much the same as you have, and hide an SSD drive out of the way... My current Golf takes an SD card with your own music files on it, which strikes me as a really sensible and cost effective way to go about things...
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2020, 01:54 AM   #6
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

It's pretty much everything you'd expect Dave minus the 20G hard drive storage of the F series.

Initially I was a little disappointed about that bu realised I barely ever updated that and it was only used the few times I was out without my phone.

Don't forget 1 year online music now too. I've found the coverage is much better in this now around me, 4G and what not. Also the Hey BMW play ...... worlds well with this and is great for safety.

Mainly though Winter is coming time for that n ie XDrive fro you