03-09-2010, 09:17 AM   #1
Feyd
Major
Rep
Drives: a DEEZZULL

Runaway Prius in California real?

Seems a bit fishy to me.

Discuss?

Link for those of you who haven't heard.

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/Runawa...ry?id=10046912

Supposedly he called 911 during the incident. Knowing California I wonder if they'll fine him for using his cell phone and the illegal front window tint. LOL.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2010, 10:07 AM   #2
immiketoo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Smoothly

How does an underpowered car like a Prius "runaway" form anything other than kids on bigwheels, let alone an adult driver, theoretically with a brain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by double eagle View Post
Thickness feels good to me and my hands aren't that big.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2010, 10:30 AM   #3
scorcherjf
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
lol seems all of these cases are from old people in california...
      03-09-2010, 10:51 AM   #4
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Calling BS. People are just looking for handouts at this point. Not surprised it didn't happen much before the news, but now it seems like a weekly occurance...
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2010, 10:54 AM   #5
Feyd
Major
Rep
Drives: a DEEZZULL

I dunno man... I commuted for years on the 405. 99% of the Prius's I encountered were hauling ass. I averaged 80-85mph most of the time too.

Another interesting tid-bit about the Prius's (how the fuck to do you pluralize that word anyway?) I saw in LA was how banged up they are. Seriously, take a look next time you see one in the wild. I guarantee that the front or rear or both bumpers are jacked.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2010, 10:56 AM   #6
MTV
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: E60 M5, Volvo S60R

The owner of that car is an idiot.

If my accelerator pedal got stuck, I'd slap the car in neutral and coast to a stop...

Instead he panics, calls 911 and fries his brakes. Intelligent.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2010, 11:20 AM   #7
Yearofthe1
An ex-addict :-(
Rep
Drives: VFR1200F

Quote:
Originally Posted by immiketoo View Post
How does an underpowered car like a Prius "runaway" form anything other than kids on bigwheels, let alone an adult driver, theoretically with a brain?

I'm agreeing with your call that this is BS, but I wouldn't call a Prius underpowered. They can get up and go if you want them too. I test drove one a few months ago and was very surprised. It's much faster than the Civic Hybrid I have now.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

We search for certainty and call what we find destiny. Everything is possible, yet only one thing happens.
-Michael and Ellen Kaplan
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2010, 11:31 AM   #8
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTV View Post
The owner of that car is an idiot.

If my accelerator pedal got stuck, I'd slap the car in neutral and coast to a stop...

Instead he panics, calls 911 and fries his brakes. Intelligent.

"Life is uncertain, eat bacon now."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2010, 11:38 AM   #9
Blake
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Chevy Aveo

no doubt there is a problem, but i think the majority of the most recent claims ever since toyota has come under fire seem more like people just trying to squeeze a dollar out of toyota.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2010, 11:43 AM   #10
Alexander
Mad tyte EuR0 style boooi <--- Joke
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30, E85, MKVI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
no doubt there is a problem, but i think the majority of the most recent claims ever since toyota has come under fire seem more like people just trying to squeeze a dollar out of toyota.
I agree. I'm sure that when they inspect the car, they are going to be stumped on what happened... Aka nothing.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2010, 12:30 PM   #11
gizmo83
Private
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i

Yea complete BS. Why is it after the whole recall everyone are having problems? The recalls are on cars made since 2004. Why weren't there that many incidents before?
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2010, 12:47 PM   #12
immiketoo
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yearofthe1 View Post
I'm agreeing with your call that this is BS, but I wouldn't call a Prius underpowered. They can get up and go if you want them too. I test drove one a few months ago and was very surprised. It's much faster than the Civic Hybrid I have now.
Did not know that. Now I do Thanks!

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2010, 01:35 PM   #13
solefald
Nigerian Prince
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: '11 F25

Garage List
'11 BMW F25  [0.00]
Complete BS.

1. Very convenient timing
2. 61 year old dude, with [assuming] 45 years of driving experience does not know how to stop a car? Sketchy as shit.
3. He calls 911 and follows instructions from the 911 operator "but nothing works"
4. Suddenly the dispatched cop pulls up and tells the guy via PA to apply E-Break and the foot break and "magically" the car slows down to 50mph
5. 94mph Prius? Please.... I drove my friend's brand new 2010 Prius to LAX and back 3 months ago. I could barely get that bitch to go 80. 94 in a Prius sounds like science fiction to me.
6. And finally the police report. Pay close attention to the very last sentence:

"On March 8, 2010, at approximately 1:30 PM Mr. James Sikes (61) was traveling eastbound on I-8 from Lake Jennings Park Rd. in a Blue Toyota Prius. As he attempted to accelerate past a slower moving vehicle, he noticed that the vehicle seemed be accelerating on its own. He immediately attempted to slow his vehicle unsuccessfully. Reaching speeds of over 90 mph he called 911. The California Highway Patrol immediately went through a series of actions with negative results.
CHP Officers immediately responded to the area were able to locate the vehicle eastbound I-8 east of Kitchen Creek Rd. A CHP Officer was able to pull along side and instruct Mr. Sikes via the PA system. With the Officers assistance, he was able to slow the Prius to approximately 50 m.p.h. The Officer then placed his patrol vehicle in front of the Prius as it came to a stop in the number #1 lane of e/b I-8. The Officer then placed the patrol vehicle against the front bumper of Prius. The vehicles did not touch until after they came to a stop."

He we was able to stop all on his own.

Watch CNN video and tell me what you think. The guy is kinda-sorta scared, his statements are completely inconsistent and his eyes are all over the place, but not once on the camera... Shy or a Liar? I vote L for LIAR.
http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/03/08/cal...ius/index.html

But i guess he is a real state agent, so we have to believe him, right?

His car was not a part of recall, so that excludes him from the class action lawsuit payoff...

EDIT: Coincidentally the part of I-8 where the Prius "ran away" is usually not too busy at 1:30pm.
      03-09-2010, 02:33 PM   #14
leocdmg
That Guy
Rep
Drives: to infinity and beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feyd View Post
I dunno man... I commuted for years on the 405. 99% of the Prius's I encountered were hauling ass. I averaged 80-85mph most of the time too.

Another interesting tid-bit about the Prius's (how the fuck to do you pluralize that word anyway?) I saw in LA was how banged up they are. Seriously, take a look next time you see one in the wild. I guarantee that the front or rear or both bumpers are jacked.
I would say plaural would be toyota prixen but seriously I still think toyota is a great company that builds good products. I wonder do you think maybe people are being put up to this? It seems to weird that this only happening to toyotas?

Hmm maybe I can fight and old ticket when i got pulled over in my supra for speeding haha.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2010, 03:15 PM   #15
iBoost
Retired e90post Member
Rep
Drives: real slow

looking at the video the guy seems like complete BS!
Prius werent even a part of that recall. haha

cant wait to hear from the news this guy was trying to fraud Toyota.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2010, 03:17 PM   #16
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Fuck that guy for tying up resources to try to defraud Toyota. What a piece of shit. In a twist of beautiful irony, I hope his car goes into the shop and his loaner actually does get stuck accellerating into a tree.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2010, 03:43 PM   #17
Spaceman Spiff
Captain
Rep
Drives: R8, 996 C2, Z4MR (sold)

Plural would be Prii.
It's BS.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2010, 03:49 PM   #18
Mega Man
エアーマンが倒せない
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
I hope some kind of legal action is taken against him...
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2010, 04:08 PM   #19
radix
you know he kills little girls like you
No_Country
Rep
Drives: -

I guess I'm alone, but I believe the guy. I don't see anything that indicates that he's lying.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2010, 04:39 PM   #20
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Quote:
Originally Posted by radix View Post
I guess I'm alone, but I believe the guy. I don't see anything that indicates that he's lying.
I wonder how he even got through to the operator before draining his gas tank. When my buddy's truck caught fire on I-15, we got a busy signal for the first 10 minutes that we tried to get through, then when we finally got through, we were on hold for over 10 minutes longer before the Miramar Fire Department actually passed by us on their way from East Miramar back to mainside. With California's financial situation worsening since then (not to mention SD itself), it's a wonder that they've actually improved in that department.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2010, 04:51 PM   #21
solefald
Nigerian Prince
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: '11 F25

Garage List
'11 BMW F25  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post
I wonder how he even got through to the operator before draining his gas tank. When my buddy's truck caught fire on I-15, we got a busy signal for the first 10 minutes that we tried to get through, then when we finally got through, we were on hold for over 10 minutes longer before the Miramar Fire Department actually passed by us on their way from East Miramar back to mainside. With California's financial situation worsening since then (not to mention SD itself), it's a wonder that they've actually improved in that department.
911 has been outsourced to India.

We are sorry, the number you have reached has been disconnected. For faster service please dial 011-91-81-911 to be connected to our call center in Bangalore. Long distance and international charges may apply.

- Thank you for choosing India as your 911 operator. How can we better you?
      03-09-2010, 04:52 PM   #22
immiketoo
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post
Fuck that guy for tying up resources to try to defraud Toyota. What a piece of shit. In a twist of beautiful irony, I hope his car goes into the shop and his loaner actually does get stuck accellerating into a tree.
You are a bad man. I love it!

Quote:
Appreciate 0