BMW 2-Series Gran Coupe
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 1 Series Forum Second Generation (F40) BMW 1 Series (F40) General Discussion

01-28-2023, 01:44 PM   #1
a8rt
Rep
Drives: BMW F40 118i

118i turbo Rattle.

Hi,

Does anyone here driving a F40 118i B38C engine have a wastegate rattle at low rpms? It only appears in Comfort mode and Eco Pro mode. Whenever i drive normally and the speed climbs slowly, the there is a rattling sound that seems like it is from the turbo wastegate. Any fix without replacing the turbo? The dealer said that its normal and they do not want to replace it. It is annoying me.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2023, 05:09 AM   #2
HispidaSnake
Rep
Drives: BMW 1 series F40

Yes, that's "state of the art" as BMW says..
Same on my 118i and on a Mini F56 with this engine.
BMW replaced the wastegate actuator on my car but after a few weeks the noise reappeared
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2023, 06:12 AM   #3
Jay Ell
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F40 M135i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by a8rt View Post
Hi,

Does anyone here driving a F40 118i B38C engine have a wastegate rattle at low rpms? It only appears in Comfort mode and Eco Pro mode. Whenever i drive normally and the speed climbs slowly, the there is a rattling sound that seems like it is from the turbo wastegate. Any fix without replacing the turbo? The dealer said that its normal and they do not want to replace it. It is annoying me.

Hi .. I've been having this argument with BMW since I took delivery of an F40 135 last June. Awful rattle from the wastegate but mine was under ANY acceleration. No matter the driving mode. It was all about the right foot. After 10 months of arguing and refusing to pay the monthly payments, I HAVE WON!
It's not "normal" and they admitted to me the fault right at the start. They told me it wasn't a common fault on the car and so had to wait for BMW HQ to give them the go-ahead on a fix. That never came!
They've given me back my deposit in full and ordered me a new one. However, due to inflation the car is about 4-5k more expensive and with the options ended up being around 7k more expensive than the one I originally bought (more available due to chip supply easing).
So I argued that point too and got an 11.2% discount. Back to where I was (although the finance is now a little more expensive but hey-ho).

Not acceptable for a BMW to come like this no matter what they tell you. I've been buying BMW's from the same dealer for over 20 years, so I leaned heavily on that fact!

Good luck
[Current] F40 M135i ('23) / [Gone] F80 M3 CP ('18), F36 435i ('15), F25 X3 30d ('13), E84 X1 23d ('09), R56 Mini Cooper S ('07), E60 M5 ('07), R53 Mini Cooper ('02), E60 545i ('03), E36 328iS ('98), E36 320i ('93)
Appreciate 1
Edo13547.00
      11-17-2023, 03:07 AM   #4
F40M135i
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2020 F40 M135i

F40 Wastegate actuator linkage ratte + turbo squeak

I had the same issues with my 2020 M135i xDrive. Brisbane BMW told me that this was a known issue, and took the car in to apply a fix. This not only didn't solve the problem, however it is now created a new noise - a squeak from the turbo on gear changes.

BMW Australia has told me that this is "normal operational noise" for this model and that that was their final position.

It makes absolutely no sense to me that BMW Australia would class this as normal, when they have this listed in their Puma faults sytem as a known fault, and having dealers fit a 'Spring Kit' fix. See attached image.

They also told me that if I wanted to take it further I would have to lodge a case with the Office of Fair Trading - so begrudingly, that is what I have done - as well as lodging a case with QCAT.

You can hear the noises on the website I have created - https://bmwm135ixdriveownersforum.com/

I have had further conversations with BMW Brisbane about an extended warranty on the turbo however I have requested a replacement... not hopeful but we will see...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-29-2023, 01:51 AM   #5
wickden
Banned
Rep
Drives: Dodge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Ell View Post
Hi .. I've been having this argument with BMW since I took delivery of an F40 135 last June. Awful rattle from the wastegate but mine was under ANY acceleration. No matter the driving mode. It was all about the right foot. After 10 months of arguing and refusing to pay the monthly payments, I HAVE WON!
It's not "normal" and they admitted to me the fault right at the start. They told me it wasn't a common fault on the car and so had to wait for BMW HQ to give them the go-ahead on a fix. That never came!
They've given me back my deposit in full and ordered me a new one. However, due to inflation the car is about 4-5k more expensive and with the options ended up being around 7k more expensive than the one I originally bought (more available due to chip supply easing).
So I argued that point too and got an 11.2% discount. Back to where I was (although the finance is now a little more expensive but hey-ho).

Not acceptable for a BMW to come like this no matter what they tell you. I've been buying BMW's from the same dealer for over 20 years, so I leaned heavily on that fact!

Good luck
Congratulations on your persistence and success! It's great that BMW acknowledged the fault and addressed it by offering a new car. The added discount shows their commitment to customer satisfaction. Your loyalty over 20 years likely played a significant role. Enjoy your upgraded BMW and happy driving! 🚗✨
Appreciate 0