BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

08-29-2018, 08:58 AM   #1
Anderdea
Rep
Drives: 650i

2014 650i color choices question

New to this forum.
I am in the market for a 2014 650i xdrive convertible. I am considering 4 exterior color choices. Red, silver, gray and blue. I live in an area that only has one BMW dealer and the only color I was able to see in person was gray metallic. I am considering red first but need some guidance. The 650i is a classy vehicle and I’m wondering if the red might take away from the class. I’ve only been able to see the colors I’m interested in on the internet and I can’t get a real feel for the actual color. My buddy said he’s seen the silver and it’s more an golddish silver and real nice looking. The blue which I’ve only viewed once looks more black than blue. Also now black interiors.

If any one has these color cars and would be willing to give me a little more info (biased I’m sure but that’s OK) I’d appreciate your input.

One last question. I know that in 2013 there was real concern regarding oil usage. My exotic car dealer who is helping me locat a car suggested I go to the 2014 as the oil issue was fixed in that year car. Is this true?

Thanks, Don
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2018, 10:26 AM   #2
Walt White Coupe
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 650ix Coupe, 23 C8 Vette

Pretty sure the issue was with 2012 and earlier. Don't think there is any difference between the 13 and 14 engines.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2018, 11:00 AM   #3
shagler
Private
Rep
Drives: M850i

Garage List
2019 BMW M850i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anderdea View Post

If any one has these color cars and would be willing to give me a little more info (biased I’m sure but that’s OK) I’d appreciate your input.

Thanks, Don
As an owner of a 2014 Imola Red 650i M-sport (with red interior), I am happy to answer any questions or provide info...feel free to ask here or PM me.

I had purchased this one without seeing it live and I was a bit nervous about going red. My previous '09 650i was grey and I had really liked that it had an elegance to it. Once I took delivery, I was completely happy and still love the red. One thing that I really like is that you simply don't see 6-series in red....at least I don't see them here in Dallas area.

Here is photo:

Steven
Appreciate 1
Vorpel47.00
      08-29-2018, 11:40 AM   #4
Anderdea
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shagler View Post
As an owner of a 2014 Imola Red 650i M-sport (with red interior), I am happy to answer any questions or provide info...feel free to ask here or PM me.

I had purchased this one without seeing it live and I was a bit nervous about going red. My previous '09 650i was grey and I had really liked that it had an elegance to it. Once I took delivery, I was completely happy and still love the red. One thing that I really like is that you simply don't see 6-series in red....at least I don't see them here in Dallas area.

Here is photo:

Steven
Steven thanks for responding. The red does look good. Have you experienced any of the oil usage issues? For a big heavy car is it still pretty quick. Coming from sports cars, older Corvettes, Firebirds etc., I want something a bit more refined and luxurious but also a performer.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2018, 11:55 AM   #5
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

you have a "dealer that's helping you locate a car"? :facepalm: This isn't rocket surgery here. Buy a low mileage CPO from a BMW dealer and be done with it. You're not buying a 1975 Ferrari 308. You're buying a modern car, and one of the cheapest versions of the model at that. (early model convertibles are the cheapest of the range) If you're targeting a 2014, you can still find ones with existing CPO warranties.

Last edited by Flying Ace; 08-29-2018 at 12:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2018, 12:01 PM   #6
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
I am in the market for a 2014 650i xdrive convertible. I am considering 4 exterior color choices. Red, silver, gray and blue.

My buddy said he’s seen the silver and it’s more an golddish silver and real nice looking. The blue which I’ve only viewed once looks more black than blue. Also now black interiors.
If you haven't seen this info already...here's links to downloadable PDFs for the 2014 model year pricing/ordering guides for the F06 640/650 Gran Coupe. Hopefully they can be helpful:
  1. https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/at...7&d=1369339391
  2. https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/at...8&d=1369339391

In reference to what your buddy said...it sounds like he may be confusing Frozen Bronze with silver. And Frozen Bronze is a special "matte" paint finish (personally I'd avoid it). With the actual names of the BMW colors...just do a simple google search.

For the 2014 year...the silver & gray colors were are listed below and I can't think of any of them that I would say had any "goldish" hue:
  • Titanium Silver
  • Orion Silver
  • Moonstone Metallic
  • Space Gray

There are two actual blues for 2014:
  • Tanzanite Blue
  • Deep Sea Blue

And the reds for 2014:
  • Imola Red
  • Vermilion Red Metallic

Unbelievably there are 5 different black hues...this is where BMW has added metallic flakes and undertones (base colors) to take the plain non-metallikc Jet black to other places:
  • Jet Black
  • Carbon Black
  • Black Sapphire
  • Ruby Black
  • Citrin Black

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2018, 12:28 PM   #7
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
If you haven't seen this info already...here's links to downloadable PDFs for the 2014 model year pricing/ordering guides for the F06 640/650 Gran Coupe. Hopefully they can be helpful:
  1. https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/at...7&d=1369339391
  2. https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/at...8&d=1369339391

In reference to what your buddy said...it sounds like he may be confusing Frozen Bronze with silver. And Frozen Bronze is a special "matte" paint finish (personally I'd avoid it). With the actual names of the BMW colors...just do a simple google search.

For the 2014 year...the silver & gray colors were are listed below and I can't think of any of them that I would say had any "goldish" hue:
  • Titanium Silver
  • Orion Silver
  • Moonstone Metallic
  • Space Gray

There are two actual blues for 2014:
  • Tanzanite Blue
  • Deep Sea Blue

And the reds for 2014:
  • Imola Red
  • Vermilion Red Metallic

Unbelievably there are 5 different black hues...this is where BMW has added metallic flakes and undertones (base colors) to take the plain non-metallikc Jet black to other places:
  • Jet Black
  • Carbon Black
  • Black Sapphire
  • Ruby Black
  • Citrin Black
If you count M car colors for the M6, BMW has about 7 shades of black for this range. (Singapore Gray, Frozen Black)
      08-29-2018, 02:57 PM   #8
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
If you count M car colors for the M6, BMW has about 7 shades of black for this range. (Singapore Gray, Frozen Black)
who'd of thunk that there could be that many different shades of black?

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2018, 07:03 PM   #9
Anderdea
Rep

Thanks for all the info. A lot to digest. I live on Cape Cod so anywhere I drive even in Mass and the Eastern states is a long drive as it takes me an hour just to get off Cape. Im searching nationwide as I haven’t come on many 2014 reds. A number of 2013s but I’m tending to stay away from that model year due to oil consumption issues. Don’t come down to hard on me here as I’m trying to come up to speed on a car I’m somewhat unfamiliar with, that’s why I’m asking the questions. I like the looks and the power of the 650i. I didn’t know that there were two shades of red. Good catch. I am leaning toward the red. I need to bone up on the options so I know what I’m looking at.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2018, 08:10 PM   #10
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Im searching nationwide as I haven’t come on many 2014 reds. A number of 2013s but I’m tending to stay away from that model year due to oil consumption issues.
If you remember where you read the info about the 2013 F06 w/N63TU engine having oil consumption issues...you may want to check back and make sure that you're not conflating it with the N63 that was in the 2012 6 series.

And you may want to also note which BMW model is being referenced because I'm not sure if the N63TU rolled out across all models at the same time...it may have debuted on different production dates based on model/platform nomenclature.

The 2013 F06 Gran Coupes started production with an early 2012 SOP (start of production)...but still had the TU engine which brought changes...and is the same engine that has been used on all F06 GCs (at least up to the 2016 model year). If someone knows of another engine tweak...please chime in with the correction.

See changes below that make the N63TU upgrade found in the f06 6GC starting with the 2013 model year different from the previous N63 engine. The 2016 model year is the LCI/facelift for the f06/f12/f13...but the engines remained the same as they had been since 2013 (6 & 8 cylinder models)...the changes between a 2015 & 2016 are basically external/internal cosmetics:
Engine mechanical
• New cylinder head due to use of the Turbo Valvetronic Direct Injection (TVDI) procedure
• 3rd generation Valvetronic
• New valvetrain with modified timing
• Adoption of VANOS from the N55 engine
• New cylinder head cover with adapted crankcase ventilation
• Pistons with modified piston crown geometry
• New connecting rod with even pitch and adaptation of the crankcase due to modified connecting rod shape
• Adapted crankshaft
• Chain drive with modified guide rails and an extruded chain with 142 elements.

Oil supply
• Pendulum slide cell pump with small overall width
• Eight individual oil spray nozzles for piston crown cooling.

Cooling
• Integration of the two engine control units in the low-temperature circuit and cooling over the back panel with cooling pipe
• Expansion tank under the left side wall with separate filling hopper.

Intake and exhaust emission systems
• Adaptation of the manifold for the air intake duct due to new geometry of the cylinder head cover
• Use of the hot film air mass meter 7
• Adoption of the charge air temperature and intake-manifold pressure sensor from the N20 engine
• Exhaust turbocharger with new compressor and modified wastegate valves
• Discontinuation of the blow-off valves.

Vacuum system
• Two-stage vacuum pump with new arrangement of the bolt connection
• Vacuum reservoir for the wastegate valves in the V-area of the engine.

Fuel preparation
• Use of the known high-pressure injection with injectors and high pressure pump HDP5
• Discontinuation of fuel low-pressure sensor

Engine management system
• New dual control unit concept with one control unit per bank
• Oil level sensor with an additional temperature sensor in the main oil duct behind the starter motor.
[/QUOTE]

Last edited by Qsilver7; 08-29-2018 at 08:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2018, 08:48 PM   #11
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

You should learn all the colors. I have deep sea blue. It does not look black. Carbon black is actually a very, very dark blue. There is Imola red, which is a non-metallic red. There is another red that is metallic. I do not personally think that red makes it look less classy. I came from a red metallic MB convertible. But red is not popular for whatever reason, which is why they are rare. Everybody seems to want silver or black these days. Not my cup of tea.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2018, 09:27 PM   #12
BMPOWERED
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 650 GC M sport

I'm also pretty sure that all '13 and newer got the N63TU upgrade. The reason a dealer (or whoever) may have said '14 is because F10 550i's did not get the N63TU until '14. That being said I would still feel more comfortable getting the '14 since '13 was the first year of the TU. And as a bonus, all '14 6 series cars got the upgraded idrive interface that looks much more modern. Finally, you can still find some '14 models under CPO.

Regarding the color, when I was searching for my '14 or newer, I found a red one at the right price with the right options. It wasn't my first choice but it did look good. I ultimately found a black one to my liking. One thing I would do with red to tone it down a bit and create a nice contrast is accessorize it with black, carbon fiber, or dark trim ie. wheels, spoiler, roof (vinyl wrap), front grille, fender trim, tint, etc.

Finally, regarding performance compared to your prior sports cars, I don't think you'll be disappointed. Before my 650, I had a 550i (with N63) and the 6 was a vast improvement both in engine and handling. The 6 also sits lower and has a nice stock exhaust note on the M sports. Prior to the 550, I had a 2007 Vette, and a couple of Nissan 300ZXs. For street driving (non track) the 6 will give you about 9/10ths of the performance of any of those sports cars.
2007 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 (sold)
2001 BMW 325ci (sold)

Last edited by BMPOWERED; 08-29-2018 at 09:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2018, 04:37 AM   #13
FBMWWINS
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8C Coupé & M240i Coupé

Hi,
I got my 650i GC about 2 months ago and being my 1st V8 ever (and in this class of engine) I cannot comment on anything technical. Therefore I enjoy the comments from some of the others here from whom lots can be learned.

COLOR: mine is the X10 tansanite blue and I love it. It varies a lot in tone depending under which lighting conditions you look at it. In the shadow it can get pretty dark blue whereas under full light and sun the paint is very shiny and the blue color tone turns out much lighter. In the shadow or in darker conditions I have come to think it gets similar in color to the deep sea blue, another color which I like a lot.

In terms of black colors I personally always think and thought you cannot go wrong. Any 6 series in IMHO looks great and imposing in black.

As for red tones I am not sure on a 6er GC Melbourne Red exists. That is the only red I have come to like from BMW (seen on F30s and F32s).
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2018, 06:44 AM   #14
shagler
Private
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW M850i  [0.00]
Quote:
Steven thanks for responding. The red does look good. Have you experienced any of the oil usage issues? For a big heavy car is it still pretty quick. Coming from sports cars, older Corvettes, Firebirds etc., I want something a bit more refined and luxurious but also a performer.
I have not had the oil usages issues that others have experienced. There is no question that the 650i is a big heavy car, however, I am very happy with the performance. A handful of years ago, I had an '06 M Roadster and I considered that a quick and very nimble car. I continue to think of the Roadster as a true sports car. I consider the current 6-series to be a luxury coupe that is sporty.

Looks like you are getting some great comments here...good luck with the search.

Steven
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2018, 06:55 AM   #15
shagler
Private
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW M850i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMPOWERED View Post
Regarding the color, when I was searching for my '14 or newer, I found a red one at the right price with the right options. It wasn't my first choice but it did look good. I ultimately found a black one to my liking. One thing I would do with red to tone it down a bit and create a nice contrast is accessorize it with black, carbon fiber, or dark trim ie. wheels, spoiler, roof (vinyl wrap), front grille, fender trim, tint, etc.
I completely agree with this comment. If you simply google "Imola Red F13" you will see lots of examples with and without black accents. Personally, I think that the black accents really make a difference. On mine the following items have been blacked out. Front lower portion of bumper, wheels, spoiler, side markers, door handle trim & tinted windows. It came from the factory with blacked out window trim.

S
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2018, 05:33 PM   #16
Anderdea
Rep

WOW! You people really know your stuff. Much appreciated and will try to digest the info.
Now first things first. I have instructed my dealer of exotic cars to find me a 2014 650i xdrive convertible in red. I informed him of the two reds, Imola red and a Vermillion Red Metallic. I’ve seen pics on line of both and the Vermillion looks real sharp. My be hard to find, however. Thanks Qsilver7. The reason I’ve gone with a dealer is that he has much better search engines than you get by just going on line. Also if the car is in say California he will deal with negotiating a price and getting it to Connecticut where I use to live. He also can tell if a car has had issues or has been in a crash. He is very familiar with all things BMW. My last car (just sold) was a yellow 2012 Corvette convertible. So my dealer basically said it appears I like to be seen in the car and he is correct. There are to many cars that don’t catch ones eye. I want one that does. Also I’m not getting any younger and I want a vehicle that will treat my kidneys a little better. Here is the link to where is was reading about oil consumption issues. https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=744755
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2018, 09:13 AM   #17
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
My buddy said he’s seen the silver and it’s more an golddish silver and real nice looking.
I take my previous assumption back about your buddy seeing a Frozen Bronze 6GC...I wonder if he saw a Mojave Metallic 6GC? See pic below...Mojave is like a silverish-gold. It's probably a silver paint that has some gold and tan metallic flakes in it to replicate the sands of the Mojave Desert.

Appreciate 0
      08-31-2018, 10:05 AM   #18
jdsaengine
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 650iX vert, 2017 Corvette

I have a 2013 650x convertible. Had for the last 2yr. Its Orion Silver and we love the color, never have seen another on the road, most seem to be white or black around here.

our '13 needs a quart of oil about every 1500 mi, it seems, so I'm not too worried about it. We have 30K mi on it right now.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-31-2018, 12:59 PM   #19
Anderdea
Rep

That’s a very nice color. That might be what my best friend was talking about

The first ever 650 I saw on line was about 4-5 years ago. It was metallic blue with white interior. I fell in love with it but was not in the position to buy. I was considering red but seeing a 2014 640i for sale in that color combination I fell for the color combination all over again. So it’s now my first choice. I want a bright blue and from the pictures and BMWs own color chart, I can’t tell which is the brighter of the two blues, the Tanzanite Blue Metalic or the Deep Sea Blue. Can some one help me out here?

Buy the way I saw in person a Frozen Bronze 650 at the BMW dealer on Cape Cod. My feeling it was not a nice exterior option. No clear coat or shine to it at all. To me, very unappealing. Each to his/her own I guess.

Last edited by Anderdea; 08-31-2018 at 01:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2018, 02:47 PM   #20
thedza
On the hunt
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB F06 650i RWD

Garage List
2016 BMW 650i  [0.00]
2009 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:

The first ever 650 I saw on line was about 4-5 years ago. It was metallic blue with white interior. I fell in love with it but was not in the position to buy. I was considering red but seeing a 2014 640i for sale in that color combination I fell for the color combination all over again. So it’s now my first choice. I want a bright blue and from the pictures and BMWs own color chart, I can’t tell which is the brighter of the two blues, the Tanzanite Blue Metalic or the Deep Sea Blue. Can some one help me out here?

Buy the way I saw in person a Frozen Bronze 650 at the BMW dealer on Cape Cod. My feeling it was not a nice exterior option. No clear coat or shine to it at all. To me, very unappealing. Each to his/her own I guess.

Deep Sea blue is a little lighter I think, more of a flat royal hue. But Tanzanite looks amazing, that was the color I wanted but hard to find since it was an additional option, and you don't see many blue Fxx anyway. I ended up with Mediterranean blue, which is similar to the Le mans I had on my e90 (but a little darker), and I'm happy with it.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2018, 04:14 PM   #21
jdsaengine
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 650iX vert, 2017 Corvette

My last car (just sold) was a yellow 2012 Corvette convertible.

man after my own heart Our 650 shares the garage with this (the wife's car as you can see from the plate)
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-31-2018, 09:48 PM   #22
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

Quote:

Tanzanite is an extra cost color - $3,500 extra. It is kind of the same basic color as deep sea blue, but more intense because it has way more, or way larger, metal flake. I like my deep sea blue. It's basic dark blue metallic, but in sun it looks sort purpleish at certain angles.
Appreciate 0