E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > p0717 Transmission Speed Sensor

05-09-2024, 09:43 PM   #1
akinaaa
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw 323i 2007

p0717 Transmission Speed Sensor

I have a 2007 323i and it gives the code p0717 , Transmission speed sensor fault code. I looked it up but did not find a single video or solution about e90. I am trying to find the part but i couldnt. i searched up my VIN on realoem.com and it said i have ga6l45r transmission. So i search it up speed sensor for this transmission and i found but when look at the fitment it says , 2007 328i and 3.0 N52. I have 2.5 N52 engine. Just curious will the part fit? Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2024, 09:51 PM   #2
GoRomeo
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i, 135i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [9.50]
2006 330i  [6.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by akinaaa View Post
I have a 2007 323i and it gives the code p0717 , Transmission speed sensor fault code. I looked it up but did not find a single video or solution about e90. I am trying to find the part but i couldnt. i searched up my VIN on realoem.com and it said i have ga6l45r transmission. So i search it up speed sensor for this transmission and i found but when look at the fitment it says , 2007 328i and 3.0 N52. I have 2.5 N52 engine. Just curious will the part fit? Thank you.

Perhaps a Wheel speed sensor?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2024, 10:05 PM   #3
akinaaa
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoRomeo View Post
Perhaps a Wheel speed sensor?
Car hard shifts couple times and it goes to limp mode straightly. But it happens sometimes not all the time. When the car goes to limp mode i just shut it down and start again, then its good again.

Can a bad wheel speed sensor cause that?

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2024, 10:09 PM   #4
GoRomeo
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i, 135i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [9.50]
2006 330i  [6.75]
Quote:
Car hard shifts couple times and it goes to limp mode straightly. But it happens sometimes not all the time. When the car goes to limp mode i just shut it down and start again, then its good again.

Can a bad wheel speed sensor cause that?

Thank you!
No thats most likely a transmission issue then. You should have it checked out at a transmission shop. Good luck 👍
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2024, 01:18 PM   #5
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Car hard shifts couple times and it goes to limp mode straightly. But it happens sometimes not all the time. When the car goes to limp mode i just shut it down and start again, then its good again. [P0717 Fault Code]...
When "the car goes to limp mode", I presume the Yellow Transmission Gear Warning Light appears on the Instrument Cluster? If NOT, what warning DOES appear related to "Limp Mode"?

Apparently P0717 Fault Code is related to a Sensor Signal from the GS1912 (GM6) TURBINE RPM Sensor. That has NOTHING to do with Wheel Speed, or even Engine RPM as measured by Crankshaft Sensor Signal to DME. Here are the "BMW Fault Code Lookup" & "TroubleCodes.net" Definitions for P0717 P-Code = 5655 Hexadecimal Code:
P0717 | 5655 | EGS: Turbocharger-speed [sic] sensor: no signal | GS1912 | Transmission control
P0717 | Turbine shaft speed (TSS) sensor -no signal

NOTE: there is NO "Turbocharger" on the N52 or N51 engine used with the GM6 Automatic Transmission. That is an ERROR. INPA shows (1) Turbine Speed ("Turbinendrehzahl") & (2) Output Speed ("Abtriebsdrehzahl"). With engine on, at idle, in Park, my GS1912 "Transmission Sensors Status" shows 625 RPM Turbine Speed & 0 Output Shaft Speed. You apparently have an intermittent failure of signal from Turbine Speed Sensor, due to wiring fault or perhaps sensor fault.

Turbine Speed is Torque Converter attached to Flywheel/Drive Plate, and that Sensor is connected to EGS Transmission Module, and INPA connects to EGS to read "Turbine Speed". That Fault is completely separate from Engine/DME, or Wheel Speed/DSC signals. It is totally within Transmission/EGS wiring/ signals/ Sensors.

I have never "dissected" a GM6 Transmission or its GS1912 EGS. A GOOD AT (Automatic Transmission) Shop should be able to read "Freeze Frame Data" associated with P0717/5655 Fault Code, and/or display "Live Data" showing Turbine Speed Sensor Signal to determine how often & at WHAT Temp/ RPM, etc. conditions the fault occurs, & if signal fails completely or becomes implausible. That Shop hopefully also knows its "Way Around" the GM6 & GS1912 well enough to test the wiring & replace the sensor if required.

Either INPA or ISTA will show FF Data, or Live Data of Turbine Speed Sensor Signal, when connected to GS1912 EGS Tranmission Module. Please let us know what you find.
George
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2024, 08:42 PM   #6
akinaaa
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post
When "the car goes to limp mode", I presume the Yellow Transmission Gear Warning Light appears on the Instrument Cluster? If NOT, what warning DOES appear related to "Limp Mode"?

Apparently P0717 Fault Code is related to a Sensor Signal from the GS1912 (GM6) TURBINE RPM Sensor. That has NOTHING to do with Wheel Speed, or even Engine RPM as measured by Crankshaft Sensor Signal to DME. Here are the "BMW Fault Code Lookup" & "TroubleCodes.net" Definitions for P0717 P-Code = 5655 Hexadecimal Code:
P0717 | 5655 | EGS: Turbocharger-speed [sic] sensor: no signal | GS1912 | Transmission control
P0717 | Turbine shaft speed (TSS) sensor -no signal

NOTE: there is NO "Turbocharger" on the N52 or N51 engine used with the GM6 Automatic Transmission. That is an ERROR. INPA shows (1) Turbine Speed ("Turbinendrehzahl") & (2) Output Speed ("Abtriebsdrehzahl"). With engine on, at idle, in Park, my GS1912 "Transmission Sensors Status" shows 625 RPM Turbine Speed & 0 Output Shaft Speed. You apparently have an intermittent failure of signal from Turbine Speed Sensor, due to wiring fault or perhaps sensor fault.

Turbine Speed is Torque Converter attached to Flywheel/Drive Plate, and that Sensor is connected to EGS Transmission Module, and INPA connects to EGS to read "Turbine Speed". That Fault is completely separate from Engine/DME, or Wheel Speed/DSC signals. It is totally within Transmission/EGS wiring/ signals/ Sensors.

I have never "dissected" a GM6 Transmission or its GS1912 EGS. A GOOD AT (Automatic Transmission) Shop should be able to read "Freeze Frame Data" associated with P0717/5655 Fault Code, and/or display "Live Data" showing Turbine Speed Sensor Signal to determine how often & at WHAT Temp/ RPM, etc. conditions the fault occurs, & if signal fails completely or becomes implausible. That Shop hopefully also knows its "Way Around" the GM6 & GS1912 well enough to test the wiring & replace the sensor if required.

Either INPA or ISTA will show FF Data, or Live Data of Turbine Speed Sensor Signal, when connected to GS1912 EGS Tranmission Module. Please let us know what you find.
George

Thank you so much for the detailed response George. Really appreciate it. You are right the yellow transmission gear light comes on when the car goes to limp mode.
Appreciate 0