BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

EXXEL Distributions

02-22-2011, 10:26 PM   #1
slo_guy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: a car

E92 ///M3 vs Lotus Exige S 240

How many of you guys would make the change? I understand this is an ///M3 board, and I really hate even considering it, but I may have to. The cost of a used one will be at or around what I sell my E92 for and the insurance is only $22 more.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2011, 10:45 PM   #2
slo_guy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I don't "need" anyone's opinion. I'm just wondering what people's thoughts are on it. I'm on the fence and hearing a convincing argument can "help" make a decision. Maybe a former Lotus owner can tell me about their good and bad experiences. Maybe someone can remind me of something that I've taken for granted and forgotten. Whatever the case may be...at the very end of it all, I'm making the decision.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2011, 11:23 PM   #3
TheKosherStogie
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 DCT AW/Red

depends if its a daily car or not. If not and you enjoy tracking and some spirited canyon runs....there is no car that is more fun!!!! I rented one for a day, best times I have had in a car.
BW C13 - 1:57:2
ACS - 1:49:6
WSIR - 1:30:6
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 04:02 AM   #4
slo_guy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

It won't be a daily, but when I drive it, I may drive it semi long distances. I'm even considering a Carrera S. I know it should be a hands down decision, but I like how different the Lotus looks.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 08:07 AM   #5
Brainofjjj
Astronaut
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: car

I owned an Elise for several years. I slowly turned it into a full time track car so that made it much worse on the street. It was a good med distance cruiser before the solid motor mounts and Motons. Leave the suspension stock and put a camera on the rear. Visibility is awful in the Exige.
You'll get more damn attention on the road this side of a Ferrari. That can be fun, but is often annoying.....be prepared.

Driving wise you won't find a car with better steering feel and that is cheap to maintain. I've had to adjust to the "M tax" because that doesn't really exist with 'Loti'. Sure, some items are expensive but consumables are cheap.

Also, unless you're smaller getting in and out for a DD will get annoying quick.

Shoot me a PM and I can call you sometime to discuss more if you like.
Brian
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 09:43 AM   #6
scheherazade
Major
Rep
Drives: 09 GTR (& 93' accord!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo_guy View Post
How many of you guys would make the change? I understand this is an ///M3 board, and I really hate even considering it, but I may have to. The cost of a used one will be at or around what I sell my E92 for and the insurance is only $22 more.
I'd get the s240 in a heart beat.

Actually, when I got my GTR, my final decision was between an exige s240/260 and the GTR.

And I tell you what, it was a difficult decision. I still daydream about the exige.

Another option is to buy a cheap-o used elise, and tune the shit out of it (turbo, etc). There are 400 whp elises built up in Maryland. I forget the name of the shop.

-scheherazade

Last edited by scheherazade; 02-23-2011 at 02:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 10:33 AM   #7
Sexual Philanthropist
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

I also had an Elise for three years. Tracked it often but drove it as a DD. My commute was about two miles and I had other cars so it was never an issue for me. One of the best cars I've ever owned. Really cheap to run on the track and so much fun. If they actually produce the show cars they've been marketing I will be back in a Lotus upon arrival.
      02-23-2011, 10:41 AM   #8
Grail05
Putcha ang ganda...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 F82 M4

if you want practicality get the ///M3 if you want a fun car and track car the the Exige... 240... id get the 260 if you can although its a bit more...

I agree with SCHEHERAZADE, if you get the GTR you can have both...
      02-23-2011, 03:13 PM   #9
scheherazade
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean05 View Post

I agree with SCHEHERAZADE, if you get the GTR you can have both...
I wouldn't say the GTR is like both an M3 and Elise/Exige.
Although in some ways, it's a bit in between.
The GTR gives up some of the involvement that you'd have in an M3 (loss of manual), but you gain some feedback (more road feel than an M3)

Compared to the elise/exige, the GTR is more capable.
It's a faster car. Very stable. Very composed. So much so that it can feel like you're going really slow, when you're going really fast.
(Although the transmission will 'disagree' with you time to time and reject what you ask it to do.)
It's a car that 'gets it done'.

Between the GTR and the elise/exige, the elise/exige is more involved, better feedback, better steering, it's really the car for the kid inside you.
The elise/exige is more telepathic. Every bump comes through your seat, every rock comes through the steering wheel. Every little tweak of the wheel gives you an immediate nudge in the side of your seat.
And best of all, it's so light that it can deliver all of this 'feeling' with soft spring rates. It will go over a pothole or train track with little drama.
(It's always touching you, but never beating on you. IMHO a perfect balance.)
It's a more fun car to drive.

-scheherazade

Last edited by scheherazade; 02-23-2011 at 03:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 03:41 PM   #10
Brainofjjj
Astronaut
Bahamas
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheherazade View Post
Between the GTR and the elise/exige, the elise/exige is more involved, better feedback, better steering, it's really the car for the kid inside you.
The elise/exige is more telepathic. Every bump comes through your seat, every rock comes through the steering wheel. Every little tweak of the wheel gives you an immediate nudge in the side of your seat.
And best of all, it's so light that it can deliver all of this 'feeling' with soft spring rates. It will go over a pothole or train track with little drama.
(It's always touching you, but never beating on you. IMHO a perfect balance.)
It's a more fun car to drive.

-scheherazade
Very well put!

Another thing to add even though the OP didn't hint at it...
These cars are often used a lot on track and have been sold that way. However, they do need changes to make them safe and more capable on the track.

I replaced the oil pan, added a swirl pot and added reinforced rear toe links. Most consider these must haves for track duty.

These cars are so much fun on the track and street....i miss mine so much!
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 05:52 PM   #11
slo_guy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Wow. It looks like most of you have gone the opposite way that I'm going if I go with the Lotus. Good thing is that you all miss it. I believe a test drive or rental is due soon.

What's maintenance for these? Opinions of the Evora?

Brianofjjj...

what is expensive and what consumables are cheap?
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 06:16 PM   #12
scheherazade
Major
Rep

I really liked driving the evora.
Just like its smaller siblings, it's an exit ramp monster, and the feel/feedback is very good.
It is a more livable, more presentable, elise/exige-like car.
Some of the 'sharpness' is gone, but it makes up for it pretty well in improved-all-around-ness.
It's the lotus I would get if I had to drive around with an 'easily bothered, less fun oriented' girl.
It's still gonna give you a big smile.

Dealerships are sparse.
You may have to make some trips to keep it dealer maintained.
Unfortunately.
You may find it easier to find a Ferrari dealer than a lotus dealer .

That said, if you want to avoid the dealer network, since it's basically a toyota drive-train, you can get it worked on wherever.

Consumables are cheap. Tires last forever, and mileage is good. Small-ish oil pan.

Lotus specific bits will cost a premium, but it's not that bad. (there is a lotus tax... albeit not as big as some others)

The biggest repair concern is the CF tub.
A minor accident can total that car in a snap (literally).
Once the tub gets a crack, the repair is an entire tub replacement (onto which many items are glued).
It's a lot of work, and usually means the car is totaled.
You may like this, though, since you get to 'cash out' in the event of an accident - rather than enduring repairs.

General comment to anyone concerned :
One thing to keep in mind is that the lotus cars (barring future generations) are not about big power and large manly engines and large top speed.
You will not impress anyone with the 0-60, the top speed, or with how much whp you have.
If those things are important and you will feel like the car is inadequate without them - then it's not the right car.
Lotus' are all about the driving experience. Bringing you closer to the road. Getting you connected.

Are there better connected cars? Sure.
If you need more connection : Get a Caterham, Westfield, Radical, Atom, etc.
But I think we all know why those are [in most cases] strictly track toys.
Sure, with some work you can get them on the street ...
But the lotus is turn-key and ready to rock right off the showroom floor.

Check out the lotustalk forums.

-scheherazade

Last edited by scheherazade; 02-23-2011 at 06:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 06:20 PM   #13
Brainofjjj
Astronaut
Bahamas
Rep

The car is light so it's easy on tires and brakes. I ran R888s and Pagid pads and could go 6 to 8 events on them. Plus you get great gas mileage...compared to the M3.

Go drive one, you'll love it. Don't buy new, they depreciate like crazy. Good buys can be found on lotustalk.com

Read all the posts on what to look for when buying.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 06:49 PM   #14
slo_guy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

you guys have all been very helpful. thanks for all the input.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2011, 02:29 PM   #15
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

My biggest problem with the Elise was that my butt went numb 20 min into the drive, and started to hurt 10 min after that.

Make sure the seats fit you, stay in them at least for 30 min.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0