BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

06-06-2009, 07:49 AM   #1
richie11
South Korea
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 Jerez Black

Several Questions on my new M3 E92 6MT

Name:  richie11_1244273871059-richie11.jpg
Views: 983
Size:  86.3 KBI just got a new e92 m3.
Since the official dealer(BMW Korea) does not bring in e92 with 6MT,
I had to look for one from gray importers.

There are several questions I have as follows.

1. No "M-Drive" button on the steering wheel.
Is the button optional?
And also, though there is the "Power" button right next to the gear knob,
I found no "Sport Plus" function in the center screen.
So I guess my car does not have the button and the "plus" function.
Is there any big difference between Sport and Sport Plus modes with 6MT
transmission?

2. My car does not have the EDC option, but does have DSC button.
I cannot find MDM mode in the center screen.
Is MDM also an optional choice? If so, I have to live with DSC fully on
when I am not on track...

Some of the above questions may sound funny or even stupid...

Please help the novice
Attached Images

Last edited by richie11; 06-06-2009 at 08:39 PM.. Reason: More Pictures
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2009, 08:12 AM   #2
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE

1) M button is for tech package and it optional. I don't have it either and am happy I didn't spend extra for it. This is the package that gives you the third option on the power button. Also lets you turn DSC half way off, which in my opinion (opposite of most on here) is a joke and not necessary either.

2) You can turn DSC off when on the street and it's perfectly safe if you don't drive like an idiot. (but most on this board are scared of that button)
      06-06-2009, 08:58 AM   #3
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by J08M3 View Post
1) M button is for tech package and it optional. I don't have it either and am happy I didn't spend extra for it. This is the package that gives you the third option on the power button. Also lets you turn DSC half way off, which in my opinion (opposite of most on here) is a joke and not necessary either.

2) You can turn DSC off when on the street and it's perfectly safe if you don't drive like an idiot. (but most on this board are scared of that button)
+1 every single word you have just said.

I ordered my stripped M3 with almost absolutely no options. I had every opportunity to get the Tech pkg, premium pkg, etc.......But I actually wanted to skip those options since I knew I probably wouldn't be any happier in the long run. The Tech gizmos and leather just don't suit my personality. People knock me for getting no additional options on a $60K BMW, but they don't understand the essence and purity of the performance in an M3.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2009, 09:12 AM   #4
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

Your car doesn't have tech package. That is why you have no M button, no M drive settings for MDM or Sport Plus.
      06-06-2009, 09:44 AM   #5
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Windy View Post
Your car doesn't have tech package. That is why you have no M button, no M drive settings for MDM or Sport Plus.
.....and no worries and no stress......Only peace of mind.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2009, 10:00 AM   #6
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

OP, because you lack MDrive (which may either have been available as an individual option or only as part of a package in Korea - I'm not sure) in addition to not having Sport Plus Power setting and not having MDM DSC setting, you also do not have the Sport Servotronic steering setting.

These settings will probably never be missed since you do not have them from the get-go (i.e. no different than most other car on the market, including the last generation E46 M3). MDM is the only one I *might* pay to add if their were an aftermarket solution - I would want to test drive a car with MDM to see if it were worth it.

Also, I see that you have labeled your car's color as "Dark Blue". Technically it is called "Jerez Black", although you are certainly correct in that it is dark blue in appearance.

Anyway, enjoy your new ride.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2009, 10:13 AM   #7
JJM335
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawaaz View Post

I ordered my stripped M3 with almost absolutely no options. I had every opportunity to get the Tech pkg, premium pkg, etc.......But I actually wanted to skip those options since I knew I probably wouldn't be any happier in the long run. The Tech gizmos and leather just don't suit my personality. People knock me for getting no additional options on a $60K BMW, but they don't understand the essence and purity of the performance in an M3.
I agree...except for leather part. Just keep in mind that while a fraction of a percent of people may be close minded enough to turn their noses up at a "stripper" M3, 90% of the population would give a body part for the chance to have one.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2009, 01:48 PM   #8
jaydoc1
M3 Nirvana
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3

Quote:
People knock me for getting no additional options on a $60K BMW, but they don't understand the essence and purity of the performance in an M3.
And neither will most of the people you may someday want to resell your M to. But for now the important thing is to enjoy your car the way you want it. Just don't lament the poor (relatively speaking) resale someday compared to those cars with the tech gizmos.
BMW CCA #348254
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2009, 02:03 PM   #9
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydoc1 View Post
Just don't lament the poor (relatively speaking) resale someday compared to those cars with the tech gizmos.
Hard to predict. Since there will be a lot fewer stripped cars, the demand could outweigh supply which could make depreciation the same as relatively loaded cars.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2009, 02:52 PM   #10
MDCTFTW
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 DCT

Tech package is probably my favorite of them all.

MDCT ... so you can drive and eat a hamburger at the same time.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2009, 02:56 PM   #11
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJM335 View Post
I agree...except for leather part. Just keep in mind that while a fraction of a percent of people may be close minded enough to turn their noses up at a "stripper" M3, 90% of the population would give a body part for the chance to have one.
I admit that I have ordered a "one of a kind" optioned out M3. At the same time, I feel that my choices and opinions differ from the majority of people consistently. What can I say....I'm happier when most things are kept more simple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydoc1 View Post
And neither will most of the people you may someday want to resell your M to. But for now the important thing is to enjoy your car the way you want it. Just don't lament the poor (relatively speaking) resale someday compared to those cars with the tech gizmos.
If my primary objective was to focus on resale value, I would have never been happy since I would load the hell out my M3 and easily tack on $10-15K. In my opinion, the resale value will not be affected as much as you put it. 5 yrs. from now, the Tech pkg will be out of date. 5 yrs from now some of the "gizmos" may start to have malfunctions. It's better to keep it simple for myself since I'm satisfied that way. And plus, who can complain about ordering a brand new '09 M3 Sedan for $56,000 out the door.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Hard to predict. Since there will be a lot fewer stripped cars, the demand could outweigh supply which could make depreciation the same as relatively loaded cars.
Exactly......And everyone has their own opinions, but you and I can relate in our thinking. Bottom line is to satisfy yourself with the way you option and build your M3. I did.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2009, 04:16 PM   #12
meevo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Cars

what is the "default" setting for things like throttle response, damping, steering etc if one does not have the technology package
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2009, 04:32 PM   #13
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Quote:
The main reason (and this is true) most people (said 'most', not 'all') buy stripped cars is cost; it's rare for somebody with the means to buy a stripper, but I'm sure there're exceptions. The typical reason is they can't afford a loaded version, so rather buy a stripper M3 than a loaded 335i, for instance. Again, I'm sure there're exceptions, so no need to jump in and get on my case; the sales statistics speak for themselves.

Having said that, there're a few options that are a must for resale IMO, but to each his own. On the used car market, almost nobody wants a stripped car since the difference between loaded one stripper is much less than new. But again, there's always a market for everything... at the right price. Resale value is NOT a reason to buy a stripped version, but if that's the only way to buy one, resale is the least of their worries, I'm sure. Have a good one gang.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2009, 04:40 PM   #14
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
I recommend the Tech Package to most that ask, but since you don't have it, I'd recommend considering the Dinan Stage I spring set, which changes spring rates and lowers the car while maintaining suspension travel with special spring hats and bump stops. It maintains a comfortable ride, but gives significantly better handling. The EDC is really nice, but I'd rather have the Dinan now that I've got both.

The MDM of ESC is really nice, but I suppose that you can live without it, just be careful when you turn the ESC off, because the you'll be tempted given the stock setting's overly agressive nanny mode.

Dave
      06-06-2009, 04:43 PM   #15
quackbury
Monkeyazz Duck
Rep
Drives: 540 M Sport; 330; 135

What color is your exterior? Monaco Blue? Deep Sea Blue? Hard to tell from the photo, but it looks sharp.

Also, looks like you have a tan dash cap (sand beige or bamboo). Can you clarify?

Car looks very, very sharp. Post more pics when you can!
2008 135i
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2009, 05:04 PM   #16
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
The main reason (and this is true) most people (said 'most', not 'all') buy stripped cars is cost; it's rare for somebody with the means to buy a stripper, but I'm sure there're exceptions. The typical reason is they can't afford a loaded version, so rather buy a stripper M3 than a loaded 335i, for instance. Again, I'm sure there're exceptions, so no need to jump in and get on my case; the sales statistics speak for themselves.

Having said that, there're a few options that are a must for resale IMO, but to each his own. On the used car market, almost nobody wants a stripped car since the difference between loaded one stripper is much less than new. But again, there's always a market for everything... at the right price. Resale value is NOT a reason to buy a stripped version, but if that's the only way to buy one, resale is the least of their worries, I'm sure. Have a good one gang.
You're right actually. Most people who will have a choice would most likely pick a loaded or slightly more equipped version opposed to a stripped model like the one I ordered. And also, you're kinda' right again on the saving money part. I saved $10-15K on the options, and I'll probably put a good amount of that on modifications since I plan to keep my M3 for 5+ yrs. But you gotta' understand that some people can still afford the options, but they choose to skip them since they may not appreciate them in the future while owning the car. And the saving money part is just the bonus for them.

Maybe it has to do with the fact that I'm not a "tech guy". Maybe it has to do with the fact that I prefer cars that are more raw and focused on the driving experience.....Cars such as the Evo IX, the new GT3, or perhaps the Scuderia. Those cars are more focused on performance than any other luxuries. I understand that the M3 is not fully intended to be that sort of car, but it's more so intended to be a pretty damn good luxury sports sedan.

Still, somehow at the end, the luxury items get in my way of focusing on the pure driving enjoyment. It comes to a point where I would literally mind having the extra options, even if they were offered standard at no charge. I know I'm crazy, don't worry.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2009, 05:26 PM   #17
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
...Maybe it has to do with the fact that I'm not a "tech guy". Maybe it has to do with the fact that I prefer cars that are more raw and focused on the driving experience.....Cars such as the Evo IX, the new GT3, or perhaps the Scuderia. Those cars are more focused on performance than any other luxuries. I understand that the M3 is not fully intended to be that sort of car, but it's more so intended to be a pretty damn good luxury sports sedan. ...
You’re a candidate for coil-over suspension. You can adjust the ride height for good look during the week and then set it for the best performance on track days. There are two or three high quality kits available.

Here are the mods I'd suggest for a car as you describe and your apparent style of automotive enjoyment.
  • Coil-overs
    4.10 final drive
    One of the several great aftermarket exhausts
    UUC SSK
    Chip to raise the rev limit and remove the speed governor

I've got the throttle bodies, but they're not making ANY power at 5400 ft over sea level. They might be a lot better at sea level, but not worth it for me, yet...(I'm still working on it).

I've got EDC, so I did the Dinan Stage I spring kit rather than the coil-overs, which kill the EDC, but if I didn't have EDC I'd do coil-overs myself.

Enjoy your car, it's a great machine.

Dave
      06-06-2009, 06:56 PM   #18
gnatty8
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90 6MT

I highly recommend you keep that DSC engaged..
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2009, 07:35 PM   #19
drey
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 Sedan, JZB/BB

'a fraction of a percent of people may be close minded enough to turn their noses up at a "stripper" M3'

There might be a few, but anyone who looks down on an M3 just because it doesn't have all the gizmos is a pretentious douchebag - the car is near perfect, IMHO, w/ no options and a 6MT.

Just in case you didn't read your manual thoroughly, to turn the DSC off you need to HOLD the DSC button for a second, then you get the dash display showing you it has been disabled.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2009, 08:15 PM   #20
richie11
South Korea
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by J08M3 View Post

I am, in fact, more interested in getting some weight off my car.
I just hope I did save some weight without the tech package.
Well, I do drive like an idiot when I go winding in a mountain on Friday nights.
I guess I will start with DSC fully on first.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2009, 08:21 PM   #21
richie11
South Korea
Rep

Quote:

I agree with your taste.
I also have Lancer EVO IX with Active Yaw Control.
I liked the AYC(sort of like DSC) in the beginning especially when I enjoyed winding,
but I hated the fact that I could not switch it off when I wanted some under&oversteer...
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2009, 08:27 PM   #22
richie11
South Korea
Rep

Quote:
OP, because you lack MDrive (which may either have been available as an individual option or only as part of a package in Korea - I'm not sure) in addition to not having Sport Plus Power setting and not having MDM DSC setting, you also do not have the Sport Servotronic steering setting.

These settings will probably never be missed since you do not have them from the get-go (i.e. no different than most other car on the market, including the last generation E46 M3). MDM is the only one I *might* pay to add if their were an aftermarket solution - I would want to test drive a car with MDM to see if it were worth it.

Also, I see that you have labeled your car's color as "Dark Blue". Technically it is called "Jerez Black", although you are certainly correct in that it is dark blue in appearance.

Anyway, enjoy your new ride.
Yes the color is Jerez Black.
Thanks for your comment
Appreciate 0