BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > New and Preowned M3 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking / European Delivery / Dealer Reviews

EXXEL Distributions

05-25-2008, 11:35 AM   #1
whym3
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M3

Trading my current car and ordering a sedan, can I cancel it later and get my money

Hi
I am trading in my current car and geeting a sedan built, if after a moth or so I decide to cancel the new m3 due to some reason , will the dealership pay me the trade in amount or hassle me?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2008, 12:30 PM   #2
ersin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 YMB F80 M3

I'm not sure exactly what you're saying. You are trading the car in now? I'd put a deposit down instead. You can get this money back. I have no idea if you can get the money back that is promised as down-payment. If you wanted the trade-in than just sell it and get the cash. When the M3 comes in, use it. Or use it for the deposit.
      05-25-2008, 12:48 PM   #3
Davinhci
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 E92 & 08 E70 X5 4.8

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by whym3 View Post
Hi
I am trading in my current car and geeting a sedan built, if after a moth or so I decide to cancel the new m3 due to some reason , will the dealership pay me the trade in amount or hassle me?

Thanks
Why not wait till the M3 get here to trade in your car? Shoot with all the time you have you can even try to sell your car yourself and not worry about being hassle by your dealer on your trade in.

08 E92 AW M3 | HRE P40 19" | APE Air Filter | BMW Performance Grills | White Side Gills | CF Mirror Covers | BMW Performance Pedals | F1 Pinnacle Tint | V1 Hardwire | Dinan Performance Software | Gintani Exhaust | H&R Sports Springs | RPI Scoops | BMW CF Spoiler | Challenge Diffuser | Lux H8 V3 | LCI Tail Lights |
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2008, 12:55 PM   #4
ArtPE
Banned
Rep
Drives: e46 M3

the trade-in value is determined for each 'deal'...if you aren't trading it in against a new car, why would they just 'buy' it from you?
it's all part of the same deal...
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2008, 02:23 PM   #5
Seth_Horwitz
Tired of feather footed //M drivers
Rep
Drives: 330ci, 911 Turbo X50

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtPE View Post
the trade-in value is determined for each 'deal'...if you aren't trading it in against a new car, why would they just 'buy' it from you?
it's all part of the same deal...
100% correct. There is zero chance that they pay you the agreed upon trade-in price, unless the trade-in number was very low and the new car markup is very high. Unlikely.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2008, 04:10 PM   #6
whym3
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M3

All I am saying is the dealer has somonne intersted in my porsche that I own the title to so they are giving me a good trade in Price and I am ordering a m3 so I pay tax only on the difference
I am wondering if after a month i can cencel my ordered m3 and get something else will they pay me the trade in amount back to me or hassel me

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2008, 06:04 PM   #7
ArtPE
Banned
Rep
Drives: e46 M3

Quote:
All I am saying is the dealer has somonne intersted in my porsche that I own the title to so they are giving me a good trade in Price and I am ordering a m3 so I pay tax only on the difference
I am wondering if after a month i can cencel my ordered m3 and get something else will they pay me the trade in amount back to me or hassel me

Thanks
I'm not sure what you are saying...

you are trading your car in BEFORE you get the new one?
and they determined a value that is not independent of the trade in...
and you want to cancel the order and want the full trade-in value?
I doubt they will do that...it's a contract...
the trade in is usually higher than they would pay to buy it outright...

it's probably defined in the contract you signed
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2008, 08:51 PM   #8
skierman64
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92M3-E46M3-E46Wagon-E89Z4-E36

Garage List
1994 325is Race Car  [0.00]
2011 BMW Z4  [0.00]
1998 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2008 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
I think you need to ask your dealer, not us. They are the only ones that can tell you the real deal for sure.
      05-25-2008, 09:39 PM   #9
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:

Thanks
The dealership won't have possession of your trade-in until you take delivery of your new M3. By that time you will not be able to "cancel and get something else". I.e. the two cars will change hands simulataneously, so there is really no case where you would cancel the M3 and they would already have your old car.

Well unless, that is, you are talking about returning the M3 after taking possession of it. I.e. the so called "cooling off period". But that's really not something you want to try and plan for and pull off in advance of closing a deal on a car. I mean, aside from it being a bit shady, it will also probably be a major pain in the ass depending on the law in your state. Plus, I don't think any state has provisions for returning a car a whole month later. I mean that would absolutely kill the dealerships if they had to put up with that.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2008, 10:01 PM   #10
Seth_Horwitz
Tired of feather footed //M drivers
Rep
Drives: 330ci, 911 Turbo X50

^^^^^^^^^--- What's a cooling off period? Do certain states allow you to return a car if you have buyer's remorse? I bet it's a well kept secret for a reason.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2008, 01:54 PM   #11
HotLap
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Vert / 535i Twin turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth_Horwitz View Post
^^^^^^^^^--- What's a cooling off period? Do certain states allow you to return a car if you have buyer's remorse? I bet it's a well kept secret for a reason.
In CA - there is NO cooling off period...generally it's in bolded type towards the bottom of the sales contract!
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2008, 01:59 PM   #12
HotLap
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Vert / 535i Twin turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtPE View Post
I'm not sure what you are saying...

you are trading your car in BEFORE you get the new one?
and they determined a value that is not independent of the trade in...
and you want to cancel the order and want the full trade-in value?
I doubt they will do that...it's a contract...
the trade in is usually higher than they would pay to buy it outright...

it's probably defined in the contract you signed
I think he's saying that his dealer would take his trade now, and sell it to their interested buyer before the M3 arrives...he's wondering what would the dealer do if he decided to pass on the M when it arrives? Would they credit him the agreed upon value of his trade or refund the amount? This is not all that uncommon, when I ordered my '08 535i the dealer would have taken my trade at the time I placed my order...I wasn't interested in doing that so I didn't really get into the terms and conditions of working my deal that way.

I would imagine the dealer's options with regard to the trade in allowance he is giving you for your trade would be spelled out in the contract that you would have to sign for him to take possession of your trade in advance and be able to sell it with a clear title to someone else??
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2008, 02:45 PM   #13
skierman64
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92M3-E46M3-E46Wagon-E89Z4-E36

Garage List
1994 325is Race Car  [0.00]
2011 BMW Z4  [0.00]
1998 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2008 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotLap View Post
In CA - there is NO cooling off period...generally it's in bolded type towards the bottom of the sales contract!
In NJ there's even a 3 business day cooling off period on houses or real estate. In fact, the mortgage paperwork doesn't even go in until the cooling off period has expired. It's somewhat odd, but it's the law here.