BMW 2-Series Gran Coupe
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 2 Series Gran Coupe Forum (F44) BMW 2 Series Gran Coupe (F44) General Discussion

09-10-2020, 11:39 AM   #1
jwishcit
Rep
Drives: bmw e60

F45 unable to maintain a straight drive

Hi all F45 owner. Since first few days of ownership, I noticed that to maintain a straight drive I have to constantly adjust my steering by turning left and right. When the vehicle veers to the right and you try to counter left, the vehicle will continue to veer left unless you turn the steering back to right. The same thing happens when it veers to the left.

When you are negotiating a gradual left or right curve all you need is to turn the steering to the direction of the curve, let off your hands from the steering and the vehicle will just follow the curve instead of going straight.

Dealer said it’s the characteristic of the vehicle especially for F45.

Anyone facing the same thing? I’ve been driving for more than 20 years and never had this kind of experience.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2020, 12:26 PM   #2
BlownLSX
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: C6Z, X3MC

Get a new alignment. I did this with my m235i and with my wife's 330. I took the bmw factory alignment (weighted alignment) and re did it with only weight in the driver seat aka how the car is driven 95% of the time. Fixes that issue 100% and your tires will last way longer also.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2020, 06:12 AM   #3
jwishcit
Rep

Thank you BlownLSX for the reply. I did went to the alignment shop but was told that they can’t do any adjustment as the readings were all within spec. Furthermore when they test drove my car, the vehicle veered to the left and right too. Maybe I will revisit them and suggest your recommendation.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2020, 07:09 PM   #4
Encanto
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Check first that Lane Assist is disabled (if equipped). If equipped and disabled and still the car veers left or right then demand a factory alignment at your local dealership under warranty. If the alignment cannot fix the veering issue then one or several tires are defective - that can cause the veering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwishcit View Post
Hi all F45 owner. Since first few days of ownership, I noticed that to maintain a straight drive I have to constantly adjust my steering by turning left and right. When the vehicle veers to the right and you try to counter left, the vehicle will continue to veer left unless you turn the steering back to right. The same thing happens when it veers to the left.

When you are negotiating a gradual left or right curve all you need is to turn the steering to the direction of the curve, let off your hands from the steering and the vehicle will just follow the curve instead of going straight.

Anyone facing the same thing? I’ve been driving for more than 20 years and never had this kind of experience.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2020, 09:53 AM   #5
jwishcit
Rep

Thanks Encanto for your reply. The dealer had done the following
- lane assist disabled
- front and rear tyres swap
- steering column replaced
But still not resolved. Even the courtesy car they provided me (less then 500km mileage) while my car was in their workshop also behaves the same.

They tested a few of their new cars and all behaves the same. That’s where they concluded it’s the characteristic of the car. I’m just dumbfounded.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 07:12 AM   #6
BlownLSX
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: C6Z, X3MC

Quote:
Thank you BlownLSX for the reply. I did went to the alignment shop but was told that they can’t do any adjustment as the readings were all within spec. Furthermore when they test drove my car, the vehicle veered to the left and right too. Maybe I will revisit them and suggest your recommendation.
I'd hate to say another shop is incompetent but they most certainly are. All and I mean all Bmw's alignments are off when put on a modern laser alignment rack. We at my bmw dealership use the hunter hawk eye 4 wheel laser system. My suggestion is if you want to test a theory. Load up the passenger seat with about 100kg and the rear seat with another 150kg. Then see how the car feels.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 10:49 PM   #7
jwishcit
Rep

Thanks for the feedback BlownLSX.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 03:02 AM   #8
Cadillac
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition DCT BSM

Quote:

I had my M2 in for a service they gave me a M235 x drive, brand new as a loan car for two days.
The symptoms you describe are very evident, I can't wait to get back into my planted M2...the driving dynamics of this thing are terrible.
Appreciate 1
Germanauto9665.50
      09-29-2020, 05:54 AM   #9
jwishcit
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadillac View Post
I had my M2 in for a service they gave me a M235 x drive, brand new as a loan car for two days.
The symptoms you describe are very evident, I can't wait to get back into my planted M2...the driving dynamics of this thing are terrible.
Thanks Cadillac for the info....at least now I’m sure I’m not day dreaming.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 07:13 AM   #10
J-RO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M240ix

I am a little confused. Isn't an F45 different from an F44?
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2020, 12:43 PM   #11
LuCanBimmer
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M235i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-RO View Post
I am a little confused. Isn't an F45 different from an F44?
Same here, the F45 is a MPV type platform vs F44, they are different in terms of dynamics.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2020, 12:58 PM   #12
Gdiddy23
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Garage List
2015 BMW F30  [0.00]
While my M340 is getting some work done at the dealership, they gave me a 228i GC Xdrive loaner. I have experienced the same issues in the 5 days I've had this vehicle. The steering constantly needs to be corrected, amongst other annoyances.

Needless to say I'm left quite unimpressed. Wasn't expecting to be blown away to begin with but the driving experience is worse than I could have imagined. The vehicle has 800 miles on it- maybe it's due to poor alignment (this can happen even if brand new) but I think the whole driving experience is quite simply less than average IMO
Appreciate 2
Germanauto9665.50
Cadillac358.50
      10-24-2020, 05:25 AM   #13
Jcbmally
Started with nothing, still got most of it left.
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Cupra Ateca 300ps 4drive

I know I have a different car (X3) but its one of the first thing I had completed when my car was 1 week old. I used an independent garage, they told me the rear could not be adjusted but they did adjust the front. After that it was great. When I spoke to the dealer and asked about alignment they stated "factory set" and they confirmed the rear cant be adjusted. When I owned an Audi S3 it was also in need of adjustment and that was 2 days old.
Sorry for the long winded reply but to be clear, I would use a professional tyre garage to get the alignment done, not the BMW garage.
      06-05-2021, 07:25 AM   #14
jwishcit
Rep

Just to update, I’ve test drove all the FWD, X1 and the 1 series at the dealer and all of them behave the same manner.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2021, 07:27 AM   #15
jwishcit
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcbmally View Post
I know I have a different car (X3) but its one of the first thing I had completed when my car was 1 week old. I used an independent garage, they told me the rear could not be adjusted but they did adjust the front. After that it was great. When I spoke to the dealer and asked about alignment they stated "factory set" and they confirmed the rear cant be adjusted. When I owned an Audi S3 it was also in need of adjustment and that was 2 days old.
Sorry for the long winded reply but to be clear, I would use a professional tyre garage to get the alignment done, not the BMW garage.
Thanks Jcbmally.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2021, 11:20 AM   #16
LuCanBimmer
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M235i GC

I am also, not very happy with the feel of the car at higher speeds. Not sure, if it is the issue described here but the car feel weird. The suspension seems very 'floaty' and steering seems off on cornering. Keep in mind, I am coming from a previous F22

Looking for methods to improve the suspension (springs or coils, upgraded struts, sway bars, braces, etc). If anyone has done any suspension, let me know. I recall BlownLSX did a lowering spring setup. The flexibility to lower and raise the car in summer and winter would be a nice to have with Coilovers.
Appreciate 0