E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > How to avoid customs duty?

01-03-2011, 09:35 PM   #1
gboop
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i

How to avoid customs duty?

I've recently received BMW perf springs from USA with some unacceptable damage. The springs were packaged together freely, and the yellow paint was chipped/scratched in many places (to bare metal) during transport.

Dealer is willing to ship new ones and reimburse my shipping cost, which is great. However, they don't know how avoid being charged duty for the item again.

Can they somehow ship it as warranty or gift item? Does Canada Post have any provisions for exchanges? I will be going to the Post Office tomorrow, but maybe somebody here has gone through something similar?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2011, 09:48 PM   #2
99three
Banned
Rep
Drives: 993, e92, e36, F355, Z32, Jag

Ask them to send them using the 'warranty return' process. They should know how to accomplish that.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2011, 09:54 PM   #3
gboop
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99three View Post
Ask them to send them using the 'warranty return' process. They should know how to accomplish that.
Apparently not for Canada shipments, or it's cost prohibitive maybe?

They have a process for UPS, but not USPS/Canada Post.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2011, 10:02 PM   #4
99three
Banned
Rep
Drives: 993, e92, e36, F355, Z32, Jag

Quote:
Originally Posted by gboop View Post
Apparently not for Canada shipments, or it's cost prohibitive maybe?

They have a process for UPS, but not USPS/Canada Post.
I don't understand what you mean. All warranty returns are handled the same regardless of shipping avenues.
In any case, a warranty return is used in the event you receive a defective product or experience problems with your product. It is in their best interest - depending it's not a fly-by-night business, that they honor this request. The defective part should be shipped to the warranty department, again depending they have one. In some rare cases you may be charged a restock fee.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2011, 10:08 PM   #5
farbmw
Brigadier General
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 6SPD MANUAL!

Quote:
+1 that is what I did.

Link to my M4 euro delivery! http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1006526
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 12:07 AM   #6
gboop
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I don't understand what you mean. All warranty returns are handled the same regardless of shipping avenues.
In any case, a warranty return is used in the event you receive a defective product or experience problems with your product. It is in their best interest - depending it's not a fly-by-night business, that they honor this request. The defective part should be shipped to the warranty department, again depending they have one. In some rare cases you may be charged a restock fee.
My basic question is how do they mark the new package so that Canadian customs don't charge me CROSS BORDER tax/DUTY again when I pick up the package from the post office? The first shipment I was required to pay duty in order to get the package released from Canada Post. This was in addition to all the shipping + fees that I paid to the vendor.

I don't want to pay tax on the same item twice. Has nothing to do with return process, unless the package is marked in a different way when going through customs.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 12:32 AM   #7
fizzerd
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 328i

Quote:
My basic question is how do they mark the new package so that Canadian customs don't charge me CROSS BORDER tax/DUTY again when I pick up the package from the post office? The first shipment I was required to pay duty in order to get the package released from Canada Post. This was in addition to all the shipping + fees that I paid to the vendor.

I don't want to pay tax on the same item twice. Has nothing to do with return process, unless the package is marked in a different way when going through customs.
You need to request a refund of the duties you paid as you are sending the package back because the goods are damaged.

This is where you need to go

CBSA Casual Refund Centre
55 Town Centre Court
7th Floor, Room 718
Scarborough, Ontario
M1P 4X4

Open 8-4.30pm
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 07:40 AM   #8
bolty
/r/trees
Rep
Drives: 08 e92 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzerd View Post
You need to request a refund of the duties you paid as you are sending the package back because the goods are damaged.

55 Town Centre Court
7th Floor, Room 718
Scarborough, Ontario
M1P 4X4

Open 8-4.30pm
^+1

I dont know about other methods, but I've gone through this before.

You need to fill this form out and send it in for reimbursement.

Go to the CBSA casual refund website for more info.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 08:45 AM   #9
BavFan_08
Dreamer
Canada
Rep
Drives: '12 E88 6MT | Ret '08 E90 335i

When they ship, have them indicate that this is a WARRANTY REPLACEMENT in the description.

It works every time. (for me at least)

If Canada Post checks, they contact the seller to prove it. You have nothing to worry about as this is truly a warranty replacement.

It also works better when the value is below $60

Quote:
I've recently received BMW perf springs from USA with some unacceptable damage. The springs were packaged together freely, and the yellow paint was chipped/scratched in many places (to bare metal) during transport.

Dealer is willing to ship new ones and reimburse my shipping cost, which is great. However, they don't know how avoid being charged duty for the item again.

Can they somehow ship it as warranty or gift item? Does Canada Post have any provisions for exchanges? I will be going to the Post Office tomorrow, but maybe somebody here has gone through something similar?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 08:46 AM   #10
Andy M
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 BMW 335i xdrive

If they can't do "warranty replaced item", you could also send it back labelled as "for repair" and have them send it back as "repaired item". Repairs will have a product value of $0 and duty is calculated on the package worth?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 10:28 AM   #11
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 335 coupe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzerd View Post

55 Town Centre Court
7th Floor, Room 718
Scarborough, Ontario
M1P 4X4

Open 8-4.30pm
After all of your grief, going to the CBSA, waiting, duties (probably multiple)....don't you think buying the parts from your local CANADIAN dealer would have made more sense?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 01:50 PM   #12
gboop
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaker View Post
After all of your grief, going to the CBSA, waiting, duties (probably multiple)....don't you think buying the parts from your local CANADIAN dealer would have made more sense?
Hindsight is always 20/20. This is the first time I have encountered an issue like this (luck ran out?). Was originally going to get this from Maranello, but they were on back-order and more expensive. Impatience won out and I got burned. In the end, it's still worth the savings when things go smoothly.

Thanks everyone for your help. I will do a combination of both:

Plan A) Ask them to mark the new package as WARRANTY REPLACEMENT worth $0

Plan B) Resort to CBSA refund if duty is still collected
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 08:31 PM   #13
SGxi
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 328xi

Garage List
2007 328xi  [0.00]
If you are returning the springs, send the return receipt and the CBSA form that's attached to your parcel should give you a refund for the customs charged on your first set of springs.