BMW 2-Series Gran Coupe
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 1 Series Forum Second Generation (F40) BMW 1 Series (F40) General Discussion

11-25-2021, 07:46 AM   #1
FooMer
Rep
Drives: F40 M135i

Contactless tailgate opening retrofit

As you may know BMW introduced contactless tailgate opening restriction - code S32X - resulting in removal of that feature from newly made cars.

Does anyone have information how is that restriction implemented?
Is wiring the same and the difference is no sensors in the bumper?

I'm pondering how feasible would it be to retrofit the missing feature.
Just adding sensors and coding seems doable, but that's the best case scenario.

Anyone has concrete information about it? Or idea how/whom to ask to get technical answer? Thanks.

Last edited by FooMer; 11-25-2021 at 09:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2021, 11:08 AM   #2
ganthercage
Banned
Rep
Drives: m2

Smart opener only works in conjunction with comfort access (option SA322). F10's with comfort access from model year 2012 (built late 2011 onwards) have smart opener as part of their comfort access system. Cars before model year 2012 with comfort access did not have the smart opener feature.
Smart opener cannot be ordered separately. It's included with comfort access. For this reason you will not find it listed as a separate option code.
Smart opener is not related to powered trunk lid (option SA316 automatic trunk lid mechanism). That refers to a motor opening and closing the lid. Smart opener is compatible with both motorized/un-motorized versions. In the powered version the lid opens slowly with a motor, without option SA316 the lid springs up without motor assistance.

Last edited by ganthercage; 11-25-2021 at 06:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2021, 12:06 PM   #3
FooMer
Rep
Drives: F40 M135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganthercage View Post
Smart opener cannot be ordered separately. It's included with comfort access. For this reason you will not find it listed as a separate option code.
Okay, I'll be even more specific.

I've got 3 weeks old F40 M135i with electric tailgate (S322) and comfort access (S316). What I was describing in the original post, is that my car has smart opener removed due to shortages - this reduced functionality has it's own code - S32X.
Basically BMW couldn't get the part needed so instead of guting the whole electic function of the tailgate, they removed only one feature of it - contactless opening.

So my goal (or at least initial inquiry into it) is to retrofit smart opener.

What I'm trying to discover is how exactly the S32X restriction has been implemented, i. e. how much work is required to basically remove the restriction on my own. Well, by authorized BMW dealer, but by my own action.

BTW: having known this is F40 forum I was sloppy enough not to mention the model explicitly - my bad
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2022, 12:31 PM   #4
hgalanos
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i xDrive

Any luck with this?

I’m interested also.

I have comfort access so surely it’s a matter of installing the sensors.
Appreciate 0