E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > The Next Project.....

12-12-2016, 09:05 AM   #67
f00dstamps
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 335d

I've already paid. woohoo!
Appreciate 1
      12-12-2016, 11:06 AM   #68
Torqu3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

So I've always heard that getting an aftermarket intake on a turbo car usually doesn't do anything for power, and might possibly add a little intake sound, but that's a pretty big maybe. Is that the case on these cars?

Iaknown, I guess you've been running this on your car for some time since it's already in production. How's the butt dyno feeling on this one? And how is the sound? Looking forward to videos and numbers so I can add yet another one of your parts to my wishlist.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2016, 11:57 AM   #69
iaknown
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqu3 View Post
So I've always heard that getting an aftermarket intake on a turbo car usually doesn't do anything for power, and might possibly add a little intake sound, but that's a pretty big maybe. Is that the case on these cars?

Iaknown, I guess you've been running this on your car for some time since it's already in production. How's the butt dyno feeling on this one? And how is the sound? Looking forward to videos and numbers so I can add yet another one of your parts to my wishlist.
Good questions.....

So once I had the first prototype done on these BPC was kind enough to do some dyno testing and give me some feedback. Bob felt that on a stock car the intake would pick up some power as-is. But then, what they actually found out was on a pretty stout Stage 2+ car (with some extra mods) it cost power up top, about 20hp. Not good. So back to the drawing board. I redesigned some things and was able to have S+B make me a custom oval filter just for this intake. The initial filter was a smaller round filter, the updated design is a larger tapered oval filter with a good amount more filter element, it also has the powerstack center. Unfortunately at this point in time I don't have numbers back from BPC yet but I will pass them on as soon as I can. So I won't claim power increase from stock on higher Stage tunes but the results can only get better from the initial design

All that being said, I can give one a solid reason you'll want this intake, the sound is incredible!!! The music from the turbo is awesome, you'll hear a lot more feedback of what's going on under the hood, especially when getting on it and letting off. To be honest, even if there were zero gains mine is staying on just for the sound effects
Appreciate 1
      12-12-2016, 12:06 PM   #70
Torqu3
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iaknown View Post
What they actually found out was on a pretty stout Stage 2+ car (with some extra mods) it cost power up top, about 20hp. Not good. So back to the drawing board. I redesigned some things and was able to have S+B make me a custom oval filter just for this intake. The initial filter was a smaller round filter, the updated design is a larger tapered oval filter with a good amount more filter element, it also has the powerstack center. Unfortunately at this point in time I don't have numbers back from BPC yet but I will pass them on as soon as I can. So I won't claim power increase from stock on higher Stage tunes but the results can only get better from the initial design

All that being said, I can give one a solid reason you'll want this intake, the sound is incredible!!! The music from the turbo is awesome, you'll hear a lot more feedback of what's going on under the hood, especially when getting on it and letting off. To be honest, even if there were zero gains mine is staying on just for the sound effects
Glad to hear you're still working at it and tweaking the design! Even if it has zero performance benefits, as long as it doesn't hurt performance and is priced in my budget, I'd likely buy it when I pick up your turbo-back exhaust just to hear the glorious turbo music. Stop making nice things! You're financially ruining me.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2016, 12:36 PM   #71
ASBSECU E93
Know's a guy that know's a guy...
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d; 2008 135i

Paid!!

....is it Christmas yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lups View Post
Poop shit, shit and poop. I'm mildly angry now.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2016, 01:36 PM   #72
MCooter
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by iaknown View Post
Good questions.....

So once I had the first prototype done on these BPC was kind enough to do some dyno testing and give me some feedback. Bob felt that on a stock car the intake would pick up some power as-is. But then, what they actually found out was on a pretty stout Stage 2+ car (with some extra mods) it cost power up top, about 20hp. Not good. So back to the drawing board. I redesigned some things and was able to have S+B make me a custom oval filter just for this intake. The initial filter was a smaller round filter, the updated design is a larger tapered oval filter with a good amount more filter element, it also has the powerstack center. Unfortunately at this point in time I don't have numbers back from BPC yet but I will pass them on as soon as I can. So I won't claim power increase from stock on higher Stage tunes but the results can only get better from the initial design

So here's a question for that. You spent a good amount of time putting some good thought and design into scoops to get air into your intake. These scoops are only effective when air is flowing. Did BPC have large fans mimicking the effect of air at whatever said speed you would be at while on the dyno? Because I imagine that would have a significant effect on the power you make.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2016, 02:46 PM   #73
Torqu3
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCooter View Post
So here's a question for that. You spent a good amount of time putting some good thought and design into scoops to get air into your intake. These scoops are only effective when air is flowing. Did BPC have large fans mimicking the effect of air at whatever said speed you would be at while on the dyno? Because I imagine that would have a significant effect on the power you make.
Guys, he hasn't heard about the scoops yet... Should we tell him?

But really my dude, scoops are a bit of a running joke around here. While some people are running scoops, and they do claim to notice a difference, I doubt you'll see a "significant effect" if you directed fans at the front of the car to force air into the scoops. Maybe a few HP, but I highly doubt it'll account for the 20HP that seem to be lost with this intake.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2016, 03:47 PM   #74
GreekboyD
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335d

Garage List
2009 BMW 335d  [8.00]
Quote:

But really my dude, scoops are a bit of a running joke around here. While some people are running scoops, and they do claim to notice a difference, I doubt you'll see a "significant effect" if you directed fans at the front of the car to force air into the scoops. Maybe a few HP, but I highly doubt it'll account for the 20HP that seem to be lost with this intake.
Don't know man. A guy I know in Puerto Rico sports red scoops and gets more pussy than a kitty litter box.
Appreciate 1
      12-12-2016, 03:54 PM   #75
Torqu3
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekboyD View Post
Don't know man. A guy I know in Puerto Rico sports red scoops and gets more pussy than a kitty litter box.
Is that the same guy someone was talking about awhile back who said the underglow on his 335D gets him laid? I need to take some tips from this guy in Puerto Rico. He sounds suave. I wonder if another color of scoops would have the same effect...
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2016, 04:06 PM   #76
GreekboyD
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335d

Garage List
2009 BMW 335d  [8.00]
Quote:
Is that the same guy someone was talking about awhile back who said the underglow on his 335D gets him laid? I need to take some tips from this guy in Puerto Rico. He sounds suave. I wonder if another color of scoops would have the same effect...
Negative. TorqueAddict was running black scoops and encountered a six month dry spell. Dude switches to red scoops and was causing massive puddles the first night when driving by females.
Appreciate 2
      12-12-2016, 07:25 PM   #77
RollingCoal
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335D

Very Nice.....I've been waiting for this one. Do you have a price ready?
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2016, 08:06 PM   #78
MCooter
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D MSport

Quote:

Well damn... thanks for not going too hard on me for that. I'm new from the vw tdi world. Would have gotten torn apart for something like that on vortex. But anyways, I guess I meant the ducts he plumbed rather than scoops. Either way, I guess you're right that you still wouldn't see a 20 hp difference
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2016, 08:35 PM   #79
BB_cuda
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D Msport, 2013 X5D

Quote:
Well, he is named cooter😜
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2016, 10:53 PM   #80
ASBSECU E93
Rep

Ok - recommendations on a brand of heat reflective materials for the CAI..?

Reflective Gold...?

None...?
Quote:
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2016, 08:20 AM   #81
JTC1
Private First Class
Rep

So quite a few have ask about price, but no answer. I am curious as well.....
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2016, 09:27 AM   #82
Torqu3
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCooter View Post
Well damn... thanks for not going too hard on me for that. I'm new from the vw tdi world. Would have gotten torn apart for something like that on vortex. But anyways, I guess I meant the ducts he plumbed rather than scoops. Either way, I guess you're right that you still wouldn't see a 20 hp difference
No worries man. I'm a transplant from the TDI world as well. There's good people on this forum that have been nothing but helpful. Now I'm just trying to do my part to help. You've got a sweet ride as well the M-Sport Ds are hard to come by.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2016, 09:33 AM   #83
ASBSECU E93
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTC1
So quite a few have ask about price, but no answer. I am curious as well.....
Email him directly - or send a PM to get his email.
Quote:
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2016, 10:41 PM   #84
ASBSECU E93
Rep

Received a FedEx package today

So excited....!!!!!
Quote:
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2016, 11:33 PM   #85
335dlci
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASBSECU E93 View Post

So excited....!!!!!
Pics please
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2016, 11:43 PM   #86
Owen81
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335d, 17/22 TDI

Why all the secrecy about pricing, just post it?
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2016, 11:49 PM   #87
ASBSECU E93
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335dlci View Post
Quote:

So excited....!!!!!
Pics please
I haven't installed it yet

...SOON...
Quote:
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2016, 12:18 AM   #88
335dlci
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335d

Quote:
I haven't installed it yet

...SOON...
No YouTube video of the unpacking of it ?!?!
Appreciate 0