E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > Cobb or Jb4?

09-25-2014, 04:00 PM   #45
Johnny Boost
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '21 M850i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by elinstylez View Post
I've heard the downside to Cobb is that the dealer can tell how many times your ecu has been flashed..
I've heard the exact opposite. Any sources on this? I would be curious to read about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1aze View Post
Flash forward 5 month and at a meet I was able to ask a self-proclaimed BMW service manager at a dealership a few states away. I asked him if BMW can see that the ECU was flashed with a Cobb tuner if its uninstalled and unmarried. He shook his head and said "nope, they can't tell at all." This may be different than the JB4 in terms of storing and wiping shadow codes but it was reassuring either way.
Source:
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=825122
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2014, 04:38 PM   #46
JETmn
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xDrive Msport

Garage List
2011 335Xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Boost View Post
I've heard the exact opposite. Any sources on this? I would be curious to read about it.
I did a lot of looking before I made my purchase as I was worried about warranty also. I found the JB4 was virtually undetectable and the Cobb they can find out about if they dig hard enough. The dealership usually does not do this, but BMWNA can if it is a big claim, like engine or tranny.

Since then I have heard a guy with a JB4 was denied a claim because there were a lot of codes stored in his car that showed he had a JB4 installed. I was told he cleared codes before hand, but can't verify if he did it correctly or not. I am not going to try and find sources again, just a brief summary of my research FWIW.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2014, 05:19 PM   #47
Johnny Boost
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '21 M850i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JETmn
Quote:
I did a lot of looking before I made my purchase as I was worried about warranty also. I found the JB4 was virtually undetectable and the Cobb they can find out about if they dig hard enough. The dealership usually does not do this, but BMWNA can if it is a big claim, like engine or tranny.

Since then I have heard a guy with a JB4 was denied a claim because there were a lot of codes stored in his car that showed he had a JB4 installed. I was told he cleared codes before hand, but can't verify if he did it correctly or not. I am not going to try and find sources again, just a brief summary of my research FWIW.
Ya that was my understanding also. That BMW NA can dig deep and find out if you were tuned. But I don't think it's specific to Cobb or jb4. They can see that the car was running outside of oem specs.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2014, 11:54 PM   #48
wobbles1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW 1M #541

Had the jb4 G5 ISO for about 1 month and it just never felt right. Switched to cobb v2 and was instantly in love with the power and smoothness of the tune. Also to chime in I work at bmw. Have for over 15 years, they can see if exceeded values are stored of certain parameters. Not specifically if you had a jb4 or a cobb etc. of course you have to realize the only way to get certain boost levels I is with a tune,and they know this.

Last edited by wobbles1; 09-26-2014 at 12:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2014, 12:18 AM   #49
aren93
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobbles1 View Post
Had the jb4 G5 ISO for about 1 month and it just never felt right. Switched to cobb v2 and was instantly in love with the power and smoothness of the tune. Also to chime in I work at bmw. Have for over 15 years, they can see if exceeded values are stored of certain parameters. Not specifically if you had a jb4 or a cobb etc.
Really...hmm
      09-26-2014, 02:59 AM   #50
elinstylez
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by aren93 View Post
Really...hmm
Do it Aren! Ppl get away leaving it on the car all the time, but you can always remove it quickly before bringing it in for service. Also get to know your dealer and SA and see if they're okay with your mods (before bringing it in).
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2014, 03:05 AM   #51
elinstylez
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 M3

Quote:

Source:
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=825122
I don't have first hand knowledge nor can I find those threads atm about the AP. So far I've never had any issues with the JB4 - I've taken it off for each dealer visit for maintenance.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2014, 03:06 AM   #52
aren93
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by elinstylez View Post
Do it Aren! Ppl get away leaving it on the car all the time, but you can always remove it quickly before bringing it in for service. Also get to know your dealer and SA and see if they're okay with your mods (before bringing it in).
Yeah im pretty cool with my service adviser and my cars almost at 50k miles anyways so I don't really care about the warranty part. Everyone is saying jb4 and cobb gains are pretty much the same so I mind as well get the cheaper one and it's so easy to tune apparently with the auto tune feature.
      09-26-2014, 09:14 AM   #53
JETmn
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xDrive Msport

Garage List
2011 335Xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Ya that was my understanding also. That BMW NA can dig deep and find out if you were tuned. But I don't think it's specific to Cobb or jb4. They can see that the car was running outside of oem specs.
That is the beauty of the JB4, it actually lies to the ECU so it doesn't think it is outside of the normal parameters. While not nearly as elegant of a tuning device as the Cobb, it will help in the warranty situation.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2014, 10:41 AM   #54
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
JB4
Quote:
Originally Posted by aren93 View Post
Even if I upgrade my turbo?
Yes
Quote:
The jb4 is compatible on all of the n55 DMEs so it's by far the most popular n55 tuning option. It's also cheaper and can auto-tune right out of the box. It definitely has it's benefits but it also comes down to personal preference. Try to do as much research as you can because only you can decide which products are the best fit.
This is the majority of why I recommend the JB4 as there are too many incompatibilities with Cobb on N55. So if you buy it and it doesn't work on your car you got a nice paper weight on your hands. I'm also tired of people trying to return it because of it! LOL

If you insist on buying an N55 Cobb, contact Cobb with your VIN and make sure it's compatible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by narstune View Post
Coming from someone who has had both Cobb and JB4, I would lean towards a JB4 with Flex Fuel wire and USB cable. To answer your question about Map 5, yes, it's okay to leave the JB4 on that map all the time. I've been alternating between E70 and CA 91 without bothering with map switching. I do reset adaptations as I see fit from time to time.

I think only 10% (maybe less) of us has had the balls to upgrade turbos, so going with Cobb because it's better suited for those with a turbo upgrade doesn't really apply to many of us.
Appreciate 0