ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

08-25-2013, 03:54 PM   #1
jeebus87
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 atacama yellow Z4 35i

Xenon headlamp issue

Howdy,

My left headlamp failed last night and I get the indicator on my dash that a bulb failed to ignite. I swapped the bulbs and the igniters from right to left and the problem persists (i.e. parts are good as the right one continues to ignite, but the left one remains unlit), so I am unsure of what to do next. Should I replace the xenon ballast control unit (part no 63126907488)? Or is the light control module dead?

Please help. I hate driving around with a dead bulb.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2013, 05:22 PM   #2
jeebus87
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Bit the bullet and took apart the bumper and removed the headlight. Switched out the xenon ballast control unit (part indicated above) and the problem switched sides. Off to ebay for a replacement!
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2013, 07:37 PM   #3
wolfman1807
Clueless
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4 3.0i SMG sport/premium

Glad we could help!
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2013, 11:03 PM   #4
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

Hopefully eBay doesn't have counterfeit ballasts the way they have counterfeit bulbs.
Beware.
      08-26-2013, 01:56 AM   #5
jeebus87
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman1807 View Post
Glad we could help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StickMon View Post
Hopefully eBay doesn't have counterfeit ballasts the way they have counterfeit bulbs.
Beware.
Looks like the one I bought was a working pull, but I will definitely match it up with the dead one before replacing it. Thanks for the heads up.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2013, 12:09 AM   #6
jeebus87
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Well, after putting everything back together and having the one working headlight, it rained today and I noticed fogging and moisture inside the driver's side lens. Now neither headlight is working. The bulb isn't the culprit so I think I shorted out the working xenon ballast control unit. Wonderful!

I am having some trouble re-seating the driver's side headlight in the proper position using the 4 screws. Has anyone run into this problem? I am unable to fully screw in one of the screws and have no idea what to do. Additionally, while removing the bumper one of the bumper support clips broke and I had to buy a new one (30 bucks!!). This is a mess.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2013, 12:22 AM   #7
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep

Let it dry out really good and then try it again. It probably arced through the moisture.
The igniter/ballast may have over-current protection that shut it down without breaking it.

If I try to flash my headlights off/on, the right one won't reignite. After I leave it off for several minutes, it fires right up.
I think when the igniter fires into the still partially vaporized salts, it triggers an over-current shutdown.
      08-28-2013, 12:50 AM   #8
jeebus87
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Let it dry out really good and then try it again. It probably arced through the moisture.
The igniter/ballast may have over-current protection that shut it down without breaking it.

If I try to flash my headlights off/on, the right one won't reignite. After I leave it off for several minutes, it fires right up.
I think when the igniter fires into the still partially vaporized salts, it triggers an over-current shutdown.
Yessir, today I took out the headlight assembly, removed the lamp, and aired it out for a couple hours. It's nice and dry now, but the headlight still doesn't fire and I get the indicator on my dash. My sourced ballast control unit is coming in tomorrow so I will find out if that is indeed the (new) problem.

I also had that peculiar issue where one headlight wouldn't fire once in a while - i.e. if they were cycled on/off quickly. I wonder if that led to the premature failure.

Either way, I will report back tomorrow. Hopefully with good news.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2013, 08:57 PM   #9
jeebus87
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Lot of monologue going on here, but the xenon ballast control unit came in and it works for both sides meaning that I did indeed fry the other one. The question is, was it fried due to the water penetration of the headlight assembly or a bad circuit that will inevitably fry the next one I get?

Either way, I am up from 0 headlights to 1 headlight now. Progress!

I'm ordering another control unit now, hopefully it'll get here on Saturday and I can install it then.

I'm going to try and seal both units with clear silicone to prevent water penetration in the future... and also hope that I can finally line up the headlights the right way. Do I need to adjust the aim of the xenons once everything is back in working order?
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2013, 12:11 AM   #10
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep

Don't worry about the monologue. I've got some beauties in here.
You're adding to the knowledge base. This is bound to happen to more of us, and now we'll know better how to troubleshoot it.

If the cover's leaking, you can get new gaskets, but it looks like you have to buy the covers and gaskets as a set.
Left 63126928413
Right 63126928414

I've yet to remove mine, so I have no advice on aiming.
Try a search. I know many have cut their's open to add LED angel eyes, so somebody may have written up how to put them back in and aim them.
      08-29-2013, 12:27 AM   #11
jeebus87
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Don't worry about the monologue. I've got some beauties in here.
You're adding to the knowledge base. This is bound to happen to more of us, and now we'll know better how to troubleshoot it.

If the cover's leaking, you can get new gaskets, but it looks like you have to buy the covers and gaskets as a set.
Left 63126928413
Right 63126928414

I've yet to remove mine, so I have no advice on aiming.
Try a search. I know many have cut their's open to add LED angel eyes, so somebody may have written up how to put them back in and aim them.
Great advice. I will take a look at those covers when I disassemble the headlights again this weekend.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2013, 08:16 PM   #12
jeebus87
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Okay, got the second ballast control unit in, both headlights are finally working again. That was a long week!

Turns out that the cover was fine, but a piece of plastic had cracked off the actual headlight where it meets the cover and is likely where water was able to get in. I tried sealing it as best I could with silicone. I am kind of scared to test my ghetto waterproofing with a hose... wound up "washing" my car with a detail spray instead!
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2013, 11:42 PM   #13
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep

Glad you got it sorted, and thanks for all the good info.
      09-14-2013, 06:40 PM   #14
jafxdwg
Private
Rep
Drives: 08 3.0si Artic White with Red

Im curious what the ballast control unit costs ?
My right side headlight has started to act up. It works most of the time and so far I've been been able to re-ignite it by restarting the car.
Doesn't correct the problem every time.
Just one of those things I guess.
Also where would the ballast control unit reside ?

Hopefully these questions don't re-ignite any post traumatic stress from your last adventure.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2013, 01:49 PM   #15
b0bab0i
Major
Rep
Drives: 03 TiAG z4 3.0i w/ hardtop

Quote:
Originally Posted by jafxdwg View Post
Im curious what the ballast control unit costs ?
My right side headlight has started to act up. It works most of the time and so far I've been been able to re-ignite it by restarting the car.
Doesn't correct the problem every time.
Just one of those things I guess.
Also where would the ballast control unit reside ?

Hopefully these questions don't re-ignite any post traumatic stress from your last adventure.
~$300 per ballast?
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2013, 04:00 PM   #16
jeebus87
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Yeah, I think MSRP is about 300/per, but I got mine off ebay (used) for 80 bucks. For that difference in price I am willing to take a chance on longevity.

And the ballast control units live under the headlamps themselves - they are screwed into the bottom of the housing. So to access them, you will need to remove the bumper and the headlights, flip em over, and that will reveal the control units.
Appreciate 0