BMW 2-Series Gran Coupe
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 2 Series Gran Coupe Forum (F44) BMW 2 Series Gran Coupe (F44) General Discussion

02-14-2020, 07:40 AM   #89
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMachuca3d View Post
just realized, for a few grand more you can get a CT5-V.... or a CT4-V for LESS, both RWD platforms with available awd..... and both massively faster (on paper) than this, I think BMW is already behind. They better have some killer lease incentives if they want to compete.
I am not a fan of the 235i and would NEVER purchase one. But you are making an unfair comparison. The 235i is a much smaller can than either of the Cadillacs you mention.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 08:18 AM   #90
Conissah
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
just realized, for a few grand more you can get a CT5-V.... or a CT4-V for LESS, both RWD platforms with available awd..... and both massively faster (on paper) than this, I think BMW is already behind. They better have some killer lease incentives if they want to compete.
But Cadillac can't shake their "old person" stigma, much the same as Volvo. The younger generation have 0% interest in getting a Caddy, they'd rather try and flex with the roundel.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 10:04 AM   #91
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conissah View Post
But Cadillac can't shake their "old person" stigma, much the same as Volvo. The younger generation have 0% interest in getting a Caddy, they'd rather try and flex with the roundel.
Yeah unfortunately that's true. The ATS-V is a fantastic car that nobody wants.
Appreciate 2
Conissah1574.50
stein_325i25051.00
      02-14-2020, 12:09 PM   #92
RMachuca3d
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Msport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
I am not a fan of the 235i and would NEVER purchase one. But you are making an unfair comparison. The 235i is a much smaller can than either of the Cadillacs you mention.
I meant it more in the way of size\performance per dollar. What does the m235i GC offer that other vehicles dont? Nothing really except a higher price tag and worse driving dynamics.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 12:19 PM   #93
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
I meant it more in the way of size\performance per dollar. What does the m235i GC offer that other vehicles dont? Nothing really except a higher price tag and worse driving dynamics.
Understood. Actually, I don't think we have room for a list of all the other cars that offer a lower price tag and better driving dynamics.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 03:01 PM   #94
m630
Major
Rep
Drives: '22 X4M Comp / ‘22 X3 / f136

Garage List
‘22 X4MC  [0.00]
Quote:
How do you know that from seeing online pix and making generalizations from descriptions, unless you’ve already driven it on the street and track??

Many people want a smaller can than a G20, something like an E46, and this model could fit that market. Im already driving this platform in my X2m35i and its great, and im coming from an F80 and have just as much fun driving this platform...no its not as fast ofcourse, but no one uses the power of an M anyway on the street so the point is moot, as this platform and engine is quick and planted and Id expect the car with its lower ride hight to be fun... no i dont care about anyones bs about the awd based on fwd, its completely meaningless for the driving I use the car for. So while I dont know if id buy one until i see it in the metal and sit in it, im not just disposing it based on bs claims of the platform than no single person here has driven yet

Last edited by m630; 02-14-2020 at 03:35 PM..
Appreciate 1
JustChris17423.00
      02-14-2020, 04:00 PM   #95
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
I think to a lot of folks it is the fact that they are calling it a 2 series car. If they called it a one series, everyone would probably be fine with it.
Eh, well not us 1 series owners!

We own RWD cars w/ straight 6's in them (in the US, at least). Movement to FWD and 4-pots don't get us excited either. We don't gravitate to our cars because they were cheap (they weren't) but because they were small and in many respects outside of the M3 (and later of course, 1M, and oh all right maybe M5, etc.) they were the best handling / most fun bimmers you could buy. At least for the dollar.

I think I tend to agree though, now that the 1-er evolved into a 2-er and left an open slot, it might make more sense there than anywhere else.

I think BMW is building for the masses and hoping no one notices the changes (i.e. FWD, 4 cyl, etc.).
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 05:09 PM   #96
RMachuca3d
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Msport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by m630 View Post
How do you know that from seeing online pix and making generalizations from descriptions, unless you’ve already driven it on the street and track??

Many people want a smaller can than a G20, something like an E46, and this model could fit that market. Im already driving this platform in my X2m35i and its great, and im coming from an F80 and have just as much fun driving this platform...no its not as fast ofcourse, but no one uses the power of an M anyway on the street so the point is moot, as this platform and engine is quick and planted and Id expect the car with its lower ride hight to be fun... no i dont care about anyones bs about the awd based on fwd, its completely meaningless for the driving I use the car for. So while I dont know if id buy one until i see it in the metal and sit in it, im not just disposing it based on bs claims of the platform than no single person here has driven yet
We owned a Countryman S all4 with the haldex awd (earlier generation but same operational envelope) and for grandpa driving it was fine, but when pushed the fwd biased awd system could not deliver in helping neutralize the handling shortcomings of being fwd biased, either in the dry, wet or snow. Now, if BMW where smart they would have at least pushed to have a similar system to what the focus RS has or what the 2020 CLA45 has, which can route a lot more power to the rear. That is a compromise I can live with. In all honesty the looks of the car is growing on me, but the drivetrain is whats scaring me off.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 08:16 PM   #97
m630
Major
Rep
Drives: '22 X4M Comp / ‘22 X3 / f136

Garage List
‘22 X4MC  [0.00]
I hear these halidex comments often but im telling you that whatever bmw and M did with the new setup negates any noted comments ive read about, as i say i have this platform and its fun and lively and quick and really good handling in the X2 setup so I have every confidence that a small lowered saloon will handle even better.

All im saying to all naysayers is atleast give it a chance and get some real drive time behind the wheel before we crucify them. We put the mighty M brand on that angelic pedastal, well they tuned the car and put the badge on the car, its not a full M but it will not be crap either, lets have a bit of faith in the brand. If at the end of the day it drives like sh*t and handles like sh*t, and all agree this to be the case, well then bmw and m performance will lose all credibility and that has more far reaching implications for the future of all m cars. I tend to think they will surprise most and it will live up to an m performance brand values.
We shall see.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2020, 03:17 PM   #98
Storm2rooper
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235 Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikotic View Post
Still crazy to me that I can spec this car with red leather but can't on my M340i.
Or that you can't spec this one in sensatec when it's supposed to be a an entry level car.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2020, 03:20 PM   #99
Storm2rooper
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235 Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYAWE60 View Post
The Audi S3/RS3 seem like much nicer, more compelling buys. This car from the front 3/4 angle just screams corolla/Sentra. No bueno.
On looks I'll give you that. Performance, RS3 big ole hell yeah (but much higher price tag). However the S3 is as boring to drive as it is to listen to. At least this sounds like a sporty car should. Drive can't tell you, but people seem to have had fun in it.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2020, 03:44 PM   #100
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by m630 View Post
Quote:
How do you know that from seeing online pix and making generalizations from descriptions, unless you've already driven it on the street and track??

Excellent post.

I've an M135i coming in 3 weeks. Test drive was superb, cracking car for the modern day.

Mostly Bimmerpost is losing its mind thinking the M235i is the new 2 series or an M2 replacement. It's not and there's a whole new shiny G series RWD coming to replace that.

I think the 2 series part of the name has caused a lot of issue!
      02-27-2020, 03:04 PM   #101
Conezz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20

That is one sad BMW.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2020, 05:50 PM   #102
IM2C
Major General
Rep
Drives: ∞ Improbability Drive

UGLY
      03-02-2020, 06:36 AM   #103
Kothar
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 20 m235i gran coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0011 View Post
UGLY
It's all quite apparent what quite a few "enthusiasts" think of this car. However there are those that will buy it...like the performance. And maybe even the styling. So instead of focusing and repeating ugly or whatever how about its performance and other things. After market wheels intakes and tunes if applicable. It will sell and many will like it. Piling on its ugly or is fwd ..how dare bmw wont change anything. BMW is making it and will continue to do so and pitching to them on a blog wont change it!
Appreciate 0