BMW 2-Series Gran Coupe
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 1 Series Forum Second Generation (F40) BMW 1 Series (F40) General Discussion

05-03-2017, 06:56 PM   #1
AKRAPOVICOWNS
Captain
Rep
Drives: bmw 335i

2019 BMW 1-Series Spied (Possible M140i)

"After the X1 and 2 Series Active Tourer & Gran Tourer minivans, yet another BMW is preparing to land with a front-wheel-drive layout. The second generation of the brand?s entry-level model has been around since way back in 2011, so it doesn?t come as a surprise this partially camouflaged prototype of the all-new car already has most of the production parts.

If you look closely at the body, you?ll see there are extra panels slapped onto the real metal and plastic using black rivets. That represents BMW?s way of saying it?s not willing just yet to show us the goods. The same thing can be said about the taillights, which are provisional at this point, although the final shape of the clusters will likely remain the same. Despite the heavy disguise and some temporary bits, already we can tell the new 1 Series will represent a major departure in terms of design when compared to the current car.

It?s not just the styling that has changed, but also the hatchback?s proportions. It appears to be wider and longer than today?s 1 Series and that will translate into a more spacious cabin also helped by the switch to a FWD layout. While the prototype spotted three weeks ago was a normal version, now we might be looking at a hotter version taking into account the front blue brake calipers, lowered sports suspension, and the dual exhaust tips at the back where there also seems to be a prominent roof spoiler. The disguise applied onto the front bumper could be there to mask a pair of beefier vents.

If this is indeed a higher-spec model, it might just be the new M140i. Besides the obvious changes, there is going to be one other major difference between the old and the new. Since the next-gen 1 Series will get the UKL platform, it means the straight-six engine of the outgoing model will have to make way for a smaller four-cylinder unit likely hooked up exclusively to an xDrive setup.

There?s still a lot of testing that needs to be done, so don?t expect the new BMW 1 Series to come out in the near future. Our guess is the second half of 2018. It?s not known at this point whether the three-door version will live to see a new generation or if the sedan will finally be sold outside China.

Meanwhile, recent spy shots have shown the current 1 Series will get a second facelift, albeit this time around the changes will be minimal when compared to the previous and rather drastic refresh.

If you want a small RWD hatchback with a raspy six-cylinder engine, hurry up as time is running out."

Sorce: motor1

The C pillar has some Volvo V40 vibe to it.

Its too early to tell much, but i do hope it looks way better/sleeker than the current one, and also, not just a hatchback version of the Sedan being introduced in China.

As probably as everyone else, i am more into the next 2er if it keeps being RWD.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-03-2017, 07:02 PM   #2
Law
Global Moderator
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
2011.5 BMW M3  [10.00]
2004 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKRAPOVICOWNS View Post

If you want a small RWD hatchback with a raspy six-cylinder engine, hurry up as time is running out."

E9x M3 Press/Media Archives Thread | S65-based Racing Engines Thread
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2017, 11:32 AM   #3
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
If this is indeed a higher-spec model, it might just be the new M140i.
M135i, not M140i

*40i is for CLAR vehicles using a B58
*35i is for UKL vehicles using the upcoming high output B48 derivative (to debut in the X2)

Quote:
Our guess is the second half of 2018.
It comes after the G20 which arrives late 2018. It will be 2019 according to ynguldyn.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2017, 11:42 AM   #4
fbsm
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 4wheels

The big question I have is whether or not the US will see some variant of the 1 series in coming years

I've got a new DD purchase coming up in the next 24 or so months and would love to see some sort of a 1 series in contention as an option
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2017, 07:56 PM   #5
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Looks like its got some real nice front overhang. Should steer like a real pig.
      05-06-2017, 10:32 AM   #6
rainfall
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: A

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbsm View Post
The big question I have is whether or not the US will see some variant of the 1 series in coming years

I've got a new DD purchase coming up in the next 24 or so months and would love to see some sort of a 1 series in contention as an option
yeah unfortunately, BMW reads the "general american market demand" trend and apparently Americans don't like hatchbacks because they are "hatchbacks".

Perhaps BMW would change their mind if saw enough interest in social networks from customers.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2017, 12:18 PM   #7
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 335 e93

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainfall View Post
yeah unfortunately, BMW reads the "general american market demand" trend and apparently Americans don't like hatchbacks because they are "hatchbacks".

Perhaps BMW would change their mind if saw enough interest in social networks from customers.
Guess I'm a general American. Lol
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2017, 09:53 PM   #8
fbsm
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 4wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainfall View Post

Or they could pull their heads out of their arses and look at sales of the Golf/GTI, Focus and a pile of other hatchbacks that are a very significant portion of sales in the US
Appreciate 1
rainfall161.50
      05-07-2017, 09:53 AM   #9
oolas3
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Hatchbacks are about 5% of total car sales in the US.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2017, 08:12 AM   #10
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by oolas3 View Post
Hatchbacks are about 5% of total car sales in the US.
Convertibles are doubtlessly around there as well, and yet BMW and other automakers still sell multiple models of those here. So sales numbers aren't the answer.

The reason why there are no compact luxury hatchbacks in the US is because people see small hatchbacks as a budget alternative to an SUV. Once you hit a price point over $30k or so, you can't move enough of them to make the business case. Unlike a luxury convertible or coupe, these have small margin. You need to move a sizable quantity to get economies of scale and see a reasonable return on the program. Audi had sold the A3 hatchback here for a few years, but in small numbers. They now have an A3 sedan and they can't build enough of them. I believe they do have an e-tron hatchback, but that one is going to have a higher margin. Plus PHEVs have become halo vehicles for green credentials, so a vehicle like that has strategic value (and we know that environmentally conscious like small, practical, hatchback-y vehicles).
Appreciate 0