BMW 2-Series Gran Coupe
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 2 Series Gran Coupe Forum (F44) BMW 2 Series Gran Coupe (F44) General Discussion

03-12-2020, 08:52 AM   #45
Cortexiphan
Major
Rep
Drives: 24' BMW iX

Most of the time I find the outrage over design non-nonsensical... BMWs over the years, with small or big grills, with corona lights or icon lights, turbo or atmospheric; they've always had a purposeful design. But the outrage over this one, is warranted. I look at this car, and it's like, I don't want to drive it. It looks like it will drive like Nissan Sentra or something.
21’ G20 ///M340i

24' i20 iX xDrive50

Last edited by Cortexiphan; 03-12-2020 at 10:00 PM..
Appreciate 4
      03-12-2020, 09:36 AM   #46
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Pointless comparison with a Golf R as they're different classes of car?

M135i fair enough.

In honesty I thoguht the 'review' was one of the vaguest things I've seen with a few bits of humour forced in. Hardly insighful and like most 'reviews' these days, we could have written all the cliches ourselves.

Good Job the world is starved of 'content'.

Meooow over!
      03-12-2020, 09:38 AM   #47
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

I was hoping before these test drive reviews that at least dynamically, it would be best in class. Alas, it seems a CLA35 is still better to drive, aside from looking much better. What a missed opportunity...

Honestly I’d take an X2 M35i over this every time. To my eyes it looks a little better and would be a bit more practical.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 2
scrammer420.50
      03-12-2020, 10:12 AM   #48
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011ninja View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 530iDriver View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
What a missed opportunity. The consensus by BMW fans and the press is that this car is a mediocre product that exists solely to fill the A3/CLA segment.

The only upside is that the badge chasers will generally get into this rather than a plain white leatherette 320i.
Here we go with the stereotypes and name calling. Snobbery much?

The BMW M owners are probably more poseurs than the "Badge chasing" 320i owners with leatherette. I bet the later are more enthusiasts than the former.

And having driven a F30 320i a few years back, I found it to be a fun car and more true to its roots than any other more powerful F30 3er of the time. Light on its feet, practical and it is more fun to drive a slow car fast than the other way around.

Let's stop the personal attacks against a group of owners that some here perceive here to be in it just for the badge. In other words, get off your proverbial high horses!
Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
Absolutely nails the commentary on looks in my mind.

Quote:
Quote:
What a missed opportunity. The consensus by BMW fans and the press is that this car is a mediocre product that exists solely to fill the A3/CLA segment.

The only upside is that the badge chasers will generally get into this rather than a plain white leatherette 320i.

The BMW M owners are probably more poseurs than the "Badge chasing" 320i owners with leatherette. I bet the later are more enthusiasts than the former.

And having driven a F30 320i a few years back, I found it to be a fun car and more true to its roots than any other more powerful F30 3er of the time. Light on its feet, practical and it is more fun to drive a slow car fast than the other way around.

Let's stop the personal attacks against a group of owners that some here perceive here to be in it just for the badge. In other words, get off your proverbial high horses!
You're calling people poseurs and being self righteous at the same time.

Sort of an Oxymoron/contradictory kinda sorta
Exactly my point Snobbery and reverse snobbery it's all the same.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Absolutely nails the commentary on looks in my mind.

Quote:
Quote:

You're calling people poseurs and being self righteous at the same time.

Sort of an Oxymoron/contradictory kinda sorta
Exactly my point Snobbery and reverse snobbery it's all the same.
So your goal was to display/demonstrate the very thing you have disdained?

So you're Fire Marshall Bill from "In Living Color"
So you are also want to pretend to be the smart ass in the room?

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 1
2011ninja3328.50
      03-12-2020, 10:29 AM   #49
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Quote:

That came out of nowhere. It is fact that the 2GC takes over the spot in the market that the poverty base model 3-series occupied. The cheapest entry to the brand always attracts the biggest badge chasers.

These are the types of people who explain BMW's downfall from grace when it comes to sheer driving engagement, so yeah I'm going to be an elitist and talk shit on them.
Appreciate 1
stein_325i25051.00
      03-12-2020, 10:31 AM   #50
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
I was hoping before these test drive reviews that at least dynamically, it would be best in class. Alas, it seems a CLA35 is still better to drive, aside from looking much better. What a missed opportunity...

Honestly I’d take an X2 M35i over this every time. To my eyes it looks a little better and would be a bit more practical.
I had a new CLA for a day, it is a total snooze fest to drive. That's unfortunate if this can't even match a CLA.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2020, 10:33 AM   #51
Game
------
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 (sold)

Quote:

Interesting how opinions vary on vehicles. To me the F30 320 to be the worst BMW I've ever driven...I've driven everything they've made in the last 4 or so years. (working at a dealer)

That being said, the 2GC is a MUCH better car in every way.
      03-12-2020, 12:36 PM   #52
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Game View Post
Quote:

Interesting how opinions vary on vehicles. To me the F30 320 to be the worst BMW I've ever driven...I've driven everything they've made in the last 4 or so years. (working at a dealer)

That being said, the 2GC is a MUCH better car in every way.
Its not just the 320i, the F30 is just a very uninspiring car to drive. A manual helps, but the days of the E-generation are sadly over.
      03-12-2020, 01:42 PM   #53
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: orange BMW 1M.

Don't care.

Golf R.

This isn't a BMW to me
lab_rat394.50
      03-12-2020, 02:42 PM   #54
Game
------
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuastein55 View Post
Its not just the 320i, the F30 is just a very uninspiring car to drive. A manual helps, but the days of the E-generation are sadly over.
Agree with ya there....but the 320 is especially abysmal.
      03-12-2020, 08:35 PM   #55
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post

M135i fair enough.

In honesty I thoguht the 'review' was one of the vaguest things I've seen with a few bits of humour forced in. Hardly insighful and like most 'reviews' these days, we could have written all the cliches ourselves.

Meooow over!
I think it's pretty cross shoppable. I considered waiting for this car and bought a Golf R before it came out once I heard 6sp wasn't going to be offered. I made the right call.
      03-12-2020, 09:28 PM   #56
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S3

Garage List
GOLF R all day please and thanks.

I kept waiting for the Golf R intro into the video
But it never came. Just got to look at some chubby looking BMW 2 series :
      03-12-2020, 11:43 PM   #57
SabineBimmer
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 335i LBlue Met

Quote:
Quote:

That came out of nowhere. It is fact that the 2GC takes over the spot in the market that the poverty base model 3-series occupied. The cheapest entry to the brand always attracts the biggest badge chasers.

These are the types of people who explain BMW's downfall from grace when it comes to sheer driving engagement, so yeah I'm going to be an elitist and talk shit on them.
Well, that was quite a fun little back-and-forth there. Now, everybody put away the BS. No one should generalize any one group, be elitist, or call anyone poseurs. Good on those who can actually afford these cars, let alone any car. It just belittles everyone involved and does not accomplish anything.

That said... I do hope BMW reconsiders future projects in this market segment. This car is not the way forward.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2020, 02:16 AM   #58
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Quote:

M135i fair enough.

Meooow over!
I think it's pretty cross shoppable. I considered waiting for this car and bought a Golf R before it came out once I heard 6sp wasn't going to be offered. I made the right call.
But there's not a 6SP in the Golf R too isn't there? At least not I the UK I think? Maybe there still is.
      03-13-2020, 07:37 AM   #59
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15d msport, F22 m235i

Quote:
But there's not a 6SP in the Golf R too isn't there? At least not I the UK I think? Maybe there still is.
The Golf R comes in 6MT and is one of the last 10 or so vehicles out there in AWD that offer a MT. A dying breed!

I'd take Golf R DSG along with my F22 RWD/MT/LSD as a perfect duo
      03-13-2020, 09:49 AM   #60
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
I had a new CLA for a day, it is a total snooze fest to drive. That's unfortunate if this can't even match a CLA.
I hear the CLA35, an AMG-lite vehicle, is much better to drive than the run of the mill CLAs. So if we would be comparing a 228 GC vs a CLA 250, maybe the bimmer would come on top who knows.

But it seems the hot version of the GC isn’t hot enough, and with the challenging styling to hold it back, it’s a fail. IMO.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 1
Germanauto9665.50
      03-13-2020, 11:38 AM   #61
jwong77
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 530e

Garage List
May the sell 0 of these. Just to help drive home the point that the brand shouldn't produce FWD bland mobiles with a touch of ugliness.
      03-13-2020, 01:11 PM   #62
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Game View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuastein55 View Post
Agree with ya there....but the 320 is especially abysmal.
How about a 318i?

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2020, 01:56 PM   #63
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabineBimmer View Post
Well, that was quite a fun little back-and-forth there. Now, everybody put away the BS. No one should generalize any one group, be elitist, or call anyone poseurs. Good on those who can actually afford these cars, let alone any car. It just belittles everyone involved and does not accomplish anything.
That was some politically correct fluff.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2020, 03:12 PM   #64
SabineBimmer
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 335i LBlue Met

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabineBimmer View Post
That was some politically correct fluff.
Guilty as charged my friend.
Appreciate 1
      03-15-2020, 09:21 AM   #65
KGB_123_99
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '17 330ix M-Sport, '09 528ix

Why can't they make this car look nice? Even the current A3 looks better proportioned than this, the upcoming model even more so.

The MB product is also better looking.
Appreciate 1
stein_325i25051.00
      03-15-2020, 03:12 PM   #66
lab_rat
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is (#5 of 586)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortexiphan View Post
Most of the time I find the outrage over design non-nonsensical... BMWs over the years, with small or big grills, with corona lights or icon lights, turbo or atmospheric; they've always had a purposeful design. But the outrage over this one, is warranted. I look at this car, and it's like, I don't want to drive it. It looks like it will drive like Nissan Sentra or something.
Great user name BTW.
Appreciate 0