E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Summer blues: Windshield cracked while washing

07-19-2010, 08:22 AM   #1
Fresh330
It is what it is
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 330xi

Garage List
2006 330xi  [0.00]
Thumbs down Summer blues: Windshield cracked while washing

I just thought I'd share this story with everyone. It happened over the weekend to my father's 2006 Audi A6.

On Saturday, the temperature was in the low to mid 90's in New Jersey. Probably around noon, he decided to wash his car. Now, keep in mind, he keeps his car garaged but he may have run to the bank in the morning. Anyway, he hosed the car down, using the shower setting on the nozzle to just get everything wet. Like usual, he started washing from the top to bottom. As he's washing the windshield, he thought he noticed a crack. Hoping it was just the sun and suds paying tricks on him, he continued washing the windshield. After washing off the soap, he noticed a crack going from the bottom to almost the top of the driver’s side of his windshield. After even further inspection the crack seems to be running on the inside of the glass. I'm sure he shed a tear.

Now, I've always heard about the possibility of something like this happening. Especially in the winter when it's freezing cold and you throw on the defrosters. BUT, I've never heard of it actually happening while hand washing! According to my father, there were not previous cracks, dings, or chips that could have started this. In addition, I don't think the car was baking in the sun and it's not like he shot the windshield with a jet stream of cold water. Just seems like a bizarre, freak accident. I guess the moral of my story is be careful with you're washes this summer. Keep your car cool and staying out of the sun well before you start washing.