E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > My new 335D

05-05-2024, 06:05 PM   #1
SmallDave
Private
Rep
Drives: 335d Sport Package

My new 335D

Hey everyone,

After almost pulling the trigger over Christmas, I finally found a 335d I thought was worth the money as a place to start. It wasn't completely without a gamble or two.

For me, it had to be a sport model in a color combo I liked with decent mileage in decent shape. I know, a tall order!

I'd seen this listing on cars.com for a while, it didn't look to be in great shape, it was low mileage, and had a rebuilt title, so I didn't give it much thought. After a month or two, and being tired so little inventory, I dug a little deeper and asked for some more information.

It turns out, the seller had bought it from Copart not long before with the primary damage listed as "mechanical". He said the only thing off the car was the intake manifold. He said he put it back on and the car ran great. After doing some more due diligence, it appeared to have been sent to auction on a mechanics lean and was never actually in an accident. I decided to take the gamble and make him an offer for this 2010, 87k miles, monaco/oyster 335d. It was shipped up from PA yesterday.

After digging into it yesterday, mechanically, it looks 10/10. Runs great from a quick spin, signs of recent maintenance, super clean under the hood, and looks like it's been taken care of and 100% stock as well. Cosmetically, not quite the same story. The exterior has quite a few scratches, a few dents, and the interior took some scrubbing to clean it up. Seeing some make up on the steering wheel and sun visor as well as signs of a car seat in the back seat, perhaps it was used by a mom or grandmother to get around.

As we poked around further, we found the manual in the glove box with a few records of recall repairs and all the original manuals including window sticker. It seems to have been a single owner. Interestingly, the last oil change was done in Nov 2021 and only 2,000 miles had been put on the car since. It appears the car sat quite a bit over the last two years as there is some sun damage on the paint and the interior seems to have a little fading.

Anyways, I'm planning to do all of the deletes, downpipe, and 2.9 tune right away to get it running right. I'll take care of some other cosmetic items that are needed as well. Down the road, I plan to make it all it can be as a reliable, enthusiast daily driver.

I'm proud to say this is now the fourth BMW I've owned. I started with a '89 325is, '09 128i, and now stepping out of a '11 x3 35i. I really wanted to get into a car again but being a dad, I needed something somewhat practice and this checks all the boxes. Another reason I wanted to go 335d was that my brother in law owns a 1 of 1 Alpina B3 prototype using the M57 (photo below).

Really appreciate the community here (even though I know facebook is more active). I really think the forums provide an immense value for people who want to work and modify these cars.

Now, a few photos!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-08-2024, 10:17 PM   #2
krashDH
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: TDI

Congrats! Looks for the pesky things that need replacing/routine maintenance. Oil lines, intake seals, VCG, vac lines, vac pump seals, etc etc.

I recently picked one up with only 106k and I wanted to get it to a place where I knew what was going on so I got pretty deep into the maintenance. Keep an eye on her and enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2024, 12:52 PM   #3
SmallDave
Private
Rep
Drives: 335d Sport Package

Thanks so much! Some of those things weren't on my list so I'll do a bit more research. Really appreciate it!
Appreciate 0