BMW 2-Series Gran Coupe
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

12-03-2021, 06:32 PM   #1
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

My BMW dealer is an Autonation dealer now.

a few years back when a local Mercedes dealer became part of Autonation a tech at a Honda dealership told me quite a few techs left that Mercedes store.

now I find out that the family-corporation that ran my preferred BMW dealer just sold to Autonation.

I recall a few weeks back while waiting in the showroom for my car service being done I was listening to the salespeople and I was a bit surprised and disappointed by the conversation I overheard, but that might have just been a quirk. Also sensed a difference in the service department but saw familiar faces.

Any Autonation stories or opinions ? Should I be concerned ?
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2021, 06:53 PM   #2
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
The BMW dealership in Tucson is owned by Auto Nation and the reviews, both on the sales and service side, are largely awful. Way too many bad experiences detailed, that sound completely legit (as opposed to just some disgruntled customer). I avoid them and drive another 100 miles up to my familiar old dealership in Chandler. Which has issues of their own but overall are very good.

I'd be wary of this new ownership.
overcoil3068.50
      12-03-2021, 09:31 PM   #3
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caravaggio View Post
a few years back when a local Mercedes dealer became part of Autonation a tech at a Honda dealership told me quite a few techs left that Mercedes store.

now I find out that the family-corporation that ran my preferred BMW dealer just sold to Autonation.

I recall a few weeks back while waiting in the showroom for my car service being done I was listening to the salespeople and I was a bit surprised and disappointed by the conversation I overheard, but that might have just been a quirk. Also sensed a difference in the service department but saw familiar faces.

Any Autonation stories or opinions ? Should I be concerned ?
You mentioned in another thread that you're from Baltimore, are you referring to BMW of Towson? They recently just went from Priority 1 to AutoNation.

AutoNation is not a company that I'm a fan of from the stories I've heard. From what I've heard from previous employees, AutoNation is not a fan of employees moving upward in the company. If an employee is doing well, they'll either move them to a location that is purposefully much too difficult or too different in order for them to fail. They are big fans of relocating employees, and not just within the area but moving them from state to state. One of the local Audi dealers was ruined when they moved a GM from a Chevy store in to run the dealer (despite no issues with the previous GM) as the culture between the two stores is drastically different, and they do it without much notice too. I have yet to hear positive stories from employees at AutoNation.
      12-03-2021, 10:12 PM   #4
overcoil
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stein_325i View Post
You mentioned in another thread that you're from Baltimore, are you referring to BMW of Towson? They recently just went from Priority 1 to AutoNation.

AutoNation is not a company that I'm a fan of from the stories I've heard. From what I've heard from previous employees, AutoNation is not a fan of employees moving upward in the company. If an employee is doing well, they'll either move them to a location that is purposefully much too difficult or too different in order for them to fail. They are big fans of relocating employees, and not just within the area but moving them from state to state. One of the local Audi dealers was ruined when they moved a GM from a Chevy store in to run the dealer (despite no issues with the previous GM) as the culture between the two stores is drastically different, and they do it without much notice too. I have yet to hear positive stories from employees at AutoNation.
Yes, BMW of Towson.
Very interesting whats you wrote above.
I had found that when dealerships get consumed by these large conglomerates or someone like Northwest Honda under their new ownership that my experience really suffers.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2021, 10:40 PM   #5
Bimmersandmopars
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M8 Gran Coupe Comp

The dealer I bought an X6M Comp, M8GC, and X3M Comp from is an Autonation dealer.....

And I broke things off when they no longer valued a consistent customer.
Appreciate 1
overcoil3068.50
      12-04-2021, 12:18 AM   #6
grocerylist
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

Garage List
2016 BMW M235i  [0.00]
I had a very poor experience at BMW of Bellevue, which is an Autonation dealer but it's far too lengthy to rehash details. It encompassed the finance manager, used car manager and general manager. I'd definitely not return to BMW of Bellevue to buy or for service and I'd avoid Autonation dealers in the future.
Appreciate 1
overcoil3068.50
      12-04-2021, 08:29 AM   #7
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

I know a service tech at the aforementioned BMW dealer that has been taken over by Autonation. So far he's not happy with the changes.

Last edited by zx10guy; 12-04-2021 at 08:43 AM..
Appreciate 1
overcoil3068.50
      12-04-2021, 09:17 AM   #8
E46ZHP2
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020m240ixvert

My local dealer became part of one of these large, national companies and the operation has suffered. It is ironic because dealerships are becoming less relevant in the age of Carvana and MSRP. Even Ford is promoting custom ordering online. Poor customer service is just digging their own grave with a bigger shovel.
Appreciate 2
overcoil3068.50
Germanauto9665.50
      12-04-2021, 09:40 AM   #9
Glen e
Retired from BMWNA
Rep
Drives: ‘21 X2 m35i

I called on many chain stores and many Autonation stores while I was with Bmw. You can’t just blanket say one chain is bad, one chain is good or the local dealers are good. It all comes down to the individual staff that are running the store. The chain stores usually just slim and streamline accounting operations and organization procedures,Autonation usually lets the general manager stay if they buy a dealer out if he’s good. So check the CSI ratings and the local word of mouth, you may be surprised.

Here in South Florida Virtually all the Mercedes-Benz dealerships are Autonation, and they are excellent stores to deal with.
Appreciate 2
      12-04-2021, 05:25 PM   #10
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

Sorry to read this, OP. They're the worst
Appreciate 1
overcoil3068.50
      12-04-2021, 05:49 PM   #11
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep

Garage List
On the other hand - I've had nothing but great experiences with Penske-owned stores. About 15 years ago when I was shopping for an S4 for a while, I got to know the sales guy pretty well. Close to retirement and in the business forever, he had nothing but glowing praise about working for Roger Penske. Said he was very hands-on, always attending the weekly sales conference calls, and very pro-employee. And I've had 3-4 sales experiences over the years at several different dealerships, and they were all very positive. Who says you can't be big AND still be good to your customers and employees? What a concept.
overcoil3068.50
________4157.00
nicholasn261.00
      12-06-2021, 09:44 AM   #12
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
On the other hand - I've had nothing but great experiences with Penske-owned stores. About 15 years ago when I was shopping for an S4 for a while, I got to know the sales guy pretty well. Close to retirement and in the business forever, he had nothing but glowing praise about working for Roger Penske. Said he was very hands-on, always attending the weekly sales conference calls, and very pro-employee. And I've had 3-4 sales experiences over the years at several different dealerships, and they were all very positive. Who says you can't be big AND still be good to your customers and employees? What a concept.
I have had similar positive experiences with Penske (North Scottsdale in my case). I reported that my charge seemed to be declining on my 530e and they ran a battery test and found a bad cell. They then replaced the entire battery pack (9.2 KWh) under warranty. When I first went in they gave me a stripped 330i as a loaner. When I learned that my car was going to be in for a while since they had to order in the battery pack, I asked my SA for a loaner closer to my loaded 530e. She found me a 2019 Cadillac XTS.

My prior car was a 2016 330e with constant battery problems. I went into the dealership with letters for the dealership and BMWNA stating that I was invoking the lemon law. The service manager told me he agreed with me and asked me to give him one more chance to convince BMWNA that it should buy back my car. An hour later he told me that they would do so.

Overall, I have been very satisfied with BMW North Scottsdale.
Appreciate 1
overcoil3068.50
      12-06-2021, 10:13 AM   #13
overcoil
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
I have had similar positive experiences with Penske (North Scottsdale in my case). I reported that my charge seemed to be declining on my 530e and they ran a battery test and found a bad cell. They then replaced the entire battery pack (9.2 KWh) under warranty. When I first went in they gave me a stripped 330i as a loaner. When I learned that my car was going to be in for a while since they had to order in the battery pack, I asked my SA for a loaner closer to my loaded 530e. She found me a 2019 Cadillac XTS.

My prior car was a 2016 330e with constant battery problems. I went into the dealership with letters for the dealership and BMWNA stating that I was invoking the lemon law. The service manager told me he agreed with me and asked me to give him one more chance to convince BMWNA that it should buy back my car. An hour later he told me that they would do so.

Overall, I have been very satisfied with BMW North Scottsdale.
I ask genuinely, how was the Cadillac XTS ?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2021, 06:12 PM   #14
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

The two closest BMW dealerships to me are owned by Autonation now. I'm happy to report that they are no better or worse than any of the previous dealerships I had to deal with.

I for one, cannot wait for the dealership model to finally die.
Appreciate 2
overcoil3068.50
Germanauto9665.50
      12-06-2021, 06:39 PM   #15
Foggins
Restless
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2C

I’ve dealt with 2 autonation dealerships here in Texas for a couple of different brands. Both have been sub par…all the cliches about bad dealerships are true here.
Appreciate 1
overcoil3068.50
      12-07-2021, 07:48 AM   #16
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caravaggio View Post
I ask genuinely, how was the Cadillac XTS ?
Glad you asked. To be fair to it, it was a Hertz rental (no charge to me) with 40K plus rental miles on it. It handled well on the road but it had some weird quirks. I followed instructions but was unable to get my bluetooth connected. It had no HUD which I missed.

A little too much plastic for me. But, as I noted, it handled well, better than I expected.

It was a real car, not the soft riding land yacht that Cadillac used to produce.
Appreciate 1
overcoil3068.50
      12-07-2021, 08:25 AM   #17
Christine22
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '23 i4 e35

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
The BMW dealership in Tucson is owned by Auto Nation and the reviews, both on the sales and service side, are largely awful. Way too many bad experiences detailed, that sound completely legit (as opposed to just some disgruntled customer). I avoid them and drive another 100 miles up to my familiar old dealership in Chandler. Which has issues of their own but overall are very good.

I'd be wary of this new ownership.
I had the best, quickest, and smoothest new car buying experience I've ever had in my life a few weeks back at Chapman BMW in Chandler. I'd had service there before for my F32 but had never bought a car. I was impressed. I also purchased a vehicle some years back, although not a BMW, at BMW North Scottsdale, which is a Penske dealership, and that was also a positive experience.
      12-14-2021, 12:15 AM   #18
BMWbiker
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i xdrive wagon

Perhaps this is a silly question, but how to I find out who bought the local BMW dealer(s)?

I know that one local BMW dealer was bought by some conglomerate, but I don't know which one. The local Audi dealer was also bought out--maybe by the same company, maybe not.

A quick web search didn't turn up anything.

Just curious.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2021, 08:31 AM   #19
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWbiker View Post
Perhaps this is a silly question, but how to I find out who bought the local BMW dealer(s)?

I know that one local BMW dealer was bought by some conglomerate, but I don't know which one. The local Audi dealer was also bought out--maybe by the same company, maybe not.

A quick web search didn't turn up anything.

Just curious.
In every state there is a governmental body that all corporations must register with. And those registrations are public. It might be the Secretary of State, a Utility regulator, etc.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2021, 09:34 PM   #20
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine22 View Post
I had the best, quickest, and smoothest new car buying experience I've ever had in my life a few weeks back at Chapman BMW in Chandler. I'd had service there before for my F32 but had never bought a car. I was impressed. I also purchased a vehicle some years back, although not a BMW, at BMW North Scottsdale, which is a Penske dealership, and that was also a positive experience.
My positive Penske experiences were at BMWNS, VWNS, and Audi in Scottsdale.

Chapman in Chandler? I go way back with those guys, to before they moved to the shiny new Chandler mega-facility they're in now. The early years were all great. The sales experience ordering my M2c last February was great. The F&I experience the day I took delivery? ABSOLUTELY CRIMINAL. The asshole tried to rip me off for over $5200 all told. Kited the agreed-upon sales price by about $1200, and when I caught it (the next day!), he blamed "miscommunication with sales". Bullshit. "Lost" my $2500 deposit I'd placed when I ordered the car. Had to get him to add it back to the contract. Tried to charge me about $700 over list price for Ultimate Care+, after claiming he was actually giving me a 22% discount. Claimed the 0.9% promo finance rate, which I'd locked in for 90 days when I ordered by having them run my credit and get me approved right then, was "no longer valid" and that 1.9% was the "new best rate". I called bullshit, pointing out I was already approved and locked. He poked at his keyboard and relented. His claim that the rate had expired was a flat-out lie - it had not. All these "mistakes" - after bragging to me how he's the GM's buddy and that he brought him in there 13 years ago. That might be the only honest thing he told me - the guy is no doubt a rainmaker for the dealership with tactics like this. I will NEVER buy another car from those crooks. Shoulda gone back to my old rep at BMWNS, who has been there forever.
      12-15-2021, 12:19 AM   #21
BMWbiker
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i xdrive wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
In every state there is a governmental body that all corporations must register with. And those registrations are public. It might be the Secretary of State, a Utility regulator, etc.
Thanks for the answer. I guess I meant to ask if there were a more BMW-centric way of finding out the info: on the BMW website, on this website, etc. I should be clearer next time.

I'll poke around some more online as you recommended.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2021, 04:03 AM   #22
Glen e
Retired from BMWNA
Rep
Drives: ‘21 X2 m35i

Bmwna will not release any information regarding the owners of it’s franchises, you’ll have to find out through a public website.

However it’s no major secret, you should be able ask anybody in the dealership in a management position and they would tell you.
Appreciate 0