BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion

12-07-2021, 10:18 AM   #23
CSBM5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Comp, 2011 M3, etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWCCA1 View Post
Because us long-time members are not in need of the self-gratification that "yearbooks" like this promote. Pay to have yourself listed in "who's who in American High-schools" was pushed on me over 50-years ago and we knew it was a scam then. Same with "nominations" you receive from friends to participate in other such self-aggrandizement publications from any profession or region. Those who spend money to join groups like MENSA will probably flock to this. Likewise, anyone who owns a BMW as jewelry or uses it as a trapping of their success.

The telling remark in this mea-culpa was that the idea came from the publishing company, not the Club. That your current Club board and Executive Director promoted and approved such silliness should indicate just how removed from what we know a car club should be the current board is. Desperate self-preservation of a misguided agenda?

Years ago we weren't allowed to use even Raffle profits in our CCA budget. Times are tough in the print industry and for clubs in general when all could easily be replaced by "free" digital equivalents. Endless promotion of the raffle and now this publication's anticipated revenue stream are not an indication of the Club's financial health. It all looks desperate to me, and that comes from someone who used to have responsibility for such decisions and who also has the insight from attending the Club's first "O'Fest Forever" perversion of the Club's former signature annual event just recently.
Supposedly the main thing that kept things running financially back in 2019 was BMWNA agreeing to new car rebates for non-members who signed up for a 3yr CCA membership (as opposed to those having been a member already for some length of time as it always had been in the past).
2007 E91 328i Silver, slushbox, Eibach fr/E93 M3 rear sway bars, ARC-8
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2021, 11:31 AM   #24
YETIinFL
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 M550i

Good to know, thanks for the heads up.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2021, 11:35 AM   #25
flybigjet
Remove Before Flight
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C & Boeing's light twin

Sigh. I expected better from BMWCCA.

No matter how many pretty words they try to wrap this up with on their website, it's still a shill just like those high-school books. Imho, they've tarnished their reputation for something pretty tacky.

I'm only a member as I have to be for the HPDE's I go to. If I didn't really enjoy those events, this alone would have made me cancel my membership.

R.
      12-07-2021, 11:58 AM   #26
blackjackbimmer
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3

So it’s going to be written history of the oral history? Makes sense.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2021, 06:28 PM   #27
BMWCCA1
BMW Owner Since 1971
Rep
Drives: 1964 700 Sport Cabriolet

Garage List
2013 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSBM5 View Post
Supposedly the main thing that kept things running financially back in 2019 was BMWNA agreeing to new car rebates for non-members who signed up for a 3yr CCA membership (as opposed to those having been a member already for some length of time as it always had been in the past).
Well, that and dropping a an issue or two of Roundel from its annual 12 issues. December issue says it is Vol.52, Issue 10.

And then they even changed the join-to-get-rebate to now you have to be a member for 6-months.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2021, 08:34 PM   #28
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Quote:
Well, that and dropping a an issue or two of Roundel from its annual 12 issues. December issue says it is Vol.52, Issue 10.

And then they even changed the join-to-get-rebate to now you have to be a member for 6-months.
Well I have never been able to get a rebate even though I only buy new BMWs. Any incentive plan by BMW negates the rebate. And there almost always some incentive plan available.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2021, 08:37 PM   #29
BMWCCA1
BMW Owner Since 1971
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG View Post
Well I have never been able to get a rebate even though I only buy new BMWs. Any incentive plan by BMW negates the rebate. And there almost always some incentive plan available.
Well, if you're using military discount, you can't use both. If you buy demos/loaners, you can't use it, either.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2021, 09:02 PM   #30
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Quote:
Well, if you're using military discount, you can't use both. If you buy demos/loaners, you can't use it, either.
On my M2 I used a fleet discount. That voided the BMWCCA discount.

Currently there is a discount of up to $3,000 from BMWNA. That discount would also void the BMWCCA rebate.

As I said, I have always got some kind of discount from BMWNA (such as a loyalty discount) that voided the BMWCCA rebate.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2021, 08:24 AM   #31
BMWCCA1
BMW Owner Since 1971
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Quote:
On my M2 I used a fleet discount. That voided the BMWCCA discount.

Currently there is a discount of up to $3,000 from BMWNA. That discount would also void the BMWCCA rebate.
Of course it did. So is that a complaint? You got Type G discount and think some other affinity association should pay for your car, too? Can't blame you for wanting whatever you can get, but for others without your "connections", the Club rebate is pretty easy money that many don't remember to collect. The rules are pretty clear. Personally, I like the fact that you can't just join the Club one day and that same day get a "loyalty" rebate. Sure, it may open the Club up to some who might not know about it. Maybe some of those will continue to keep membership after their discount-driven subscription. Most won't. And none of that money comes from the Club, but rather just something BMW does for Club members . . . just like they do for your company's employees.
Appreciate 1
F32Fleet3539.50
      12-08-2021, 08:45 AM   #32
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Quote:
Of course it did. So is that a complaint? You got Type G discount and think some other affinity association should pay for your car, too? Can't blame you for wanting whatever you can get, but for others without your "connections", the Club rebate is pretty easy money that many don't remember to collect. The rules are pretty clear. Personally, I like the fact that you can't just join the Club one day and that same day get a "loyalty" rebate. Sure, it may open the Club up to some who might not know about it. Maybe some of those will continue to keep membership after their discount-driven subscription. Most won't. And none of that money comes from the Club, but rather just something BMW does for Club members . . . just like they do for your company's employees.
Not my connections. BMW is always having some sort of sales discount to drives sales.

Just saying the BMWCCA rebate is excellent in marketing for the club but poor in results.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2021, 09:32 AM   #33
CSBM5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Comp, 2011 M3, etc

Quote:
Not my connections. BMW is always having some sort of sales discount to drives sales.

Just saying the BMWCCA rebate is excellent in marketing for the club but poor in results.
That's not been the situation in my case. I've used it numerous times over the past many, many years including on the M2C and M3 I still have in the garage. When you pay cash for a car, loyalty rebates don't apply (at least not any at times I was buying a car). I just negotiated a discount on the purchase off MSRP (even on the M2C back in Sept 2018) and then sent in the CCA rebate.
2007 E91 328i Silver, slushbox, Eibach fr/E93 M3 rear sway bars, ARC-8
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2021, 06:47 AM   #34
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSBM5 View Post

Ya they dropped some issues of Roundel but wasn't that made up via BimmerLife (semi-annual or quarterly)?

I feel bad dropping my membership after 15 or so years due to chronic lack of participation.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2021, 08:45 AM   #35
BMWCCA1
BMW Owner Since 1971
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by F32Fleet View Post
Ya they dropped some issues of Roundel but wasn't that made up via BimmerLife (semi-annual or quarterly)?
That, more or less, took the place of chapter newsletters, which enabled the Club to reduce the portion of your dues that went to the local chapter. The production quality, paper, and printing of BimmerLife equals or exceeds that of Roundel, but why? Isn't on-line dissemination of that content sufficient to get the job done? They send tons of copies of this to all BMW dealerships to solicit new members. Does it really work?

Personally, I think supporting local chapters and the work they do in a community is better for recruiting than a (semi) glossy magazine sitting in a dealership. But then is the point of BMW CCA National self-preservation, or being a club? There is a difference. Notice how many letters in recent Roundel issues are addressed to Satch by name. The first page of text and the last in Roundel are Satch's. There's a book review by Satch and another by someone else of a book written by one of Satch's friends. Sure, Mike Self and Rob Siegel cover the Vintage, but otherwise is Roundel really representative of the Club? Or is this "year-book" project a true glimpse of where those directing the Club are headed?
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2021, 10:31 AM   #36
flybigjet
Remove Before Flight
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C & Boeing's light twin

Got ANOTHER card in the mail today-- that makes at least three...... so far.

Sheesh.

Last edited by flybigjet; 12-14-2021 at 02:36 PM..
Appreciate 1
DanG10444.00
      12-14-2021, 12:10 PM   #37
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
I got another email yesterday.
      12-14-2021, 08:29 PM   #38
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by F32Fleet View Post
That, more or less, took the place of chapter newsletters, which enabled the Club to reduce the portion of your dues that went to the local chapter. The production quality, paper, and printing of BimmerLife equals or exceeds that of Roundel, but why? Isn't on-line dissemination of that content sufficient to get the job done? They send tons of copies of this to all BMW dealerships to solicit new members. Does it really work?

Personally, I think supporting local chapters and the work they do in a community is better for recruiting than a (semi) glossy magazine sitting in a dealership. But then is the point of BMW CCA National self-preservation, or being a club? There is a difference. Notice how many letters in recent Roundel issues are addressed to Satch by name. The first page of text and the last in Roundel are Satch's. There's a book review by Satch and another by someone else of a book written by one of Satch's friends. Sure, Mike Self and Rob Siegel cover the Vintage, but otherwise is Roundel really representative of the Club? Or is this "year-book" project a true glimpse of where those directing the Club are headed?
Excellent points. Don't forget the weekly or bi-weekly emails which contain a couple of articles.

Electrification is going to change the club as the old guard ages out. Personally I think the club is at risk of losing relevance because BMW is attracting a different type of buyer albeit younger. They'll still be serial leasees but less will feel less attachment.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2021, 09:04 PM   #39
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
Quote:
I've gotten 2 rebates, including on my M2c, which only took 2 weeks to arrive once I applied for it. And I got the 0.9% promo financing. I guess that doesn't meet your definition of "incentive plan".
      12-15-2021, 09:22 AM   #40
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
I've gotten 2 rebates, including on my M2c, which only took 2 weeks to arrive once I applied for it. And I got the 0.9% promo financing. I guess that doesn't meet your definition of "incentive plan".
Incentives means discount by BMWNA off list price.

There are several offered right now. Here is the link to the Military discount: https://www.bmwusa.com/special-offer...incentive.html
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2021, 10:00 AM   #41
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Got another post card today. This is my fourth. Getting a little ridiculous.

Hmm. Just got another email also.
Appreciate 1
F32Fleet3539.50
      12-15-2021, 01:06 PM   #42
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
Another postcard yesterday, and another email today.

You know what steams me the most about this entire fiasco? This kind of garbage, front and center on both the email and the postcards:

IMPORTANT: Verification of BMW Car Club of America member information is needed. Please Call 1-855-385-0581.

That statement is pure, unadulterated BULLSHIT. You can bet your bottom dollar that the "marketing company we contracted with" came up with that crap, not the CCA, yet somebody still allows it.

I think I'm gonna draft a letter to Fred Patek and tell him that he needs to step down, along with anyone else associated with this horrendously bad and poorly launched idea.
DanG10444.00
F32Fleet3539.50
Mavus2014.50
02M3ForMe4255.50
      12-15-2021, 02:16 PM   #43
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
Another postcard yesterday, and another email today.

You know what steams me the most about this entire fiasco? This kind of garbage, front and center on both the email and the postcards:

IMPORTANT: Verification of BMW Car Club of America member information is needed. Please Call 1-855-385-0581.

That statement is pure, unadulterated BULLSHIT. You can bet your bottom dollar that the "marketing company we contracted with" came up with that crap, not the CCA, yet somebody still allows it.

I think I'm gonna draft a letter to Fred Patek and tell him that he needs to step down, along with anyone else associated with this horrendously bad and poorly launched idea.
I agree with the 100% BS statement. The whole campaign just pisses me off.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2021, 02:27 PM   #44
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Corvette Z06

I'm convinced that their annual "raffles" are rigged as well.
Appreciate 0