BMW 2-Series Gran Coupe
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 2 Series Gran Coupe Forum (F44) BMW 2 Series Gran Coupe (F44) General Discussion

06-03-2022, 11:29 AM   #23
cukeuk
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Series 2 GC M235i xDrive

OK thanks, mine's still not done this, keeping my fingers crossed. However did yours make this noise when the brakes were either hot or cold or it was just random and not temperature related?
Cheers...
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2022, 01:36 PM   #24
LuCanBimmer
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M235i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by cukeuk View Post
OK thanks, mine's still not done this, keeping my fingers crossed. However did yours make this noise when the brakes were either hot or cold or it was just random and not temperature related?
Cheers...
It's after a long drive, so it would be temperature related. So a swap in the brake rotors, sounds plausible.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2022, 06:38 PM   #25
SimonCW
Private
Rep
Drives: F44 M235i XDrive Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by cukeuk View Post
Cheers...
Definitely not temperature related. It didn't do it all the time, just on odd occasion. My BMW dealership already had a bulletin about this problem so when I took it in they knew straight away and told me the rear brakes need replacing.
      06-04-2022, 12:21 PM   #26
Bimmerworld76
Banned
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by haze 11 View Post
i have a 2021 m235i gc UK spec and recently after a bit of a drive somewhere if i then reverse into say my drive way or a parking space there will be like a mooing noise and vibration from the front brakes, now i had booked the car into the local bmw dealer to check this over and they came back with the conclusion nothing was wrong as they couldnt identify the noise whilst it was with them as the noise wouldnt appear, any way long story short there was something to do with an engine mount need replacing so they did that and i had the car back yesterday and i had just been out in the car to get some lunch and what happens when i reversed the noise appears. someone please help me understand why this is happening.
Quote:
i have a 2021 m235i gc UK spec and recently after a bit of a drive somewhere if i then reverse into say my drive way or a parking space there will be like a mooing noise and vibration from the front brakes, now i had booked the car into the local bmw dealer to check this over and they came back with the conclusion nothing was wrong as they couldnt identify the noise whilst it was with them as the noise wouldnt appear, any way long story short there was something to do with an engine mount need replacing so they did that and i had the car back yesterday and i had just been out in the car to get some lunch and what happens when i reversed the noise appears. someone please help me understand why this is happening.
I have awful whine from the car, not identified where it's coming from only when reversing. It is always when reversing at slow speed but it seems to do it sometimes without the brakes applied.

I also have the M235i gc and it pretty much done it since new but getting worse.
Appreciate 1
      06-05-2022, 06:35 AM   #27
cukeuk
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Series 2 GC M235i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonCW View Post
Definitely not temperature related. It didn't do it all the time, just on odd occasion. My BMW dealership already had a bulletin about this problem so when I took it in they knew straight away and told me the rear brakes need replacing.
Thanks for the information Simon..
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2022, 03:32 PM   #28
MugatuJag
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW 228I XDrive GC

Hey I have a 228 I 2022 X Dr. and my car has been doing that since I got it at 5400 miles, not temperature related, every time in the morning but also throughout the day, did the dealer replace the rear brakes for free, and do you have the TSB by chance? Thank you
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2022, 06:05 PM   #29
SimonCW
Private
Rep
Drives: F44 M235i XDrive Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MugatuJag View Post
Hey I have a 228 I 2022 X Dr. and my car has been doing that since I got it at 5400 miles, not temperature related, every time in the morning but also throughout the day, did the dealer replace the rear brakes for free, and do you have the TSB by chance? Thank you
Dealership replaced it for free under BMW warranty in UK.
      06-06-2022, 08:53 PM   #30
MugatuJag
Private First Class
Rep

That’s cool, I did not buy the brakes package for my car because I have a 30k mile lease and they may not even need pads or rotors, but if so I can change them for cheap. So did the dealer confirm they were able to re-create the noise, or did you send clips of it happening? I just want to be prepared, thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2022, 04:56 PM   #31
MugatuJag
Private First Class
Rep

Do you have the work order by chance for the brake issue? My car is going into the body shop after a minor accident and I’m gonna have them look at that. I have to remember to revert all my coding back to stock, put my stock intake back in, and plug back in the actuator valve on the exhaust lol
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2022, 07:42 PM   #32
Mishta.Silva
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonCW View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MugatuJag View Post
Dealership replaced it for free under BMW warranty in UK.
My dealership just called. They were able to hear it, but have said that it's a "normal characteristic" of the car … between the clicking noise the car makes on hard acceleration and now this… this M235 seems to have a lot of unappealing "characteristics".
Appreciate 1
CoopJet3696.50
      06-28-2022, 05:51 AM   #33
Allen Aquino
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWM8 Gran Coupe

Quote:
Have had an similar experience way back
Appreciate 1
Mosset0.00
      11-29-2023, 04:49 PM   #34
RyeOMye
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2021 228i

My 2021 228i does this as well, but I am pretty sure it is a resonance issue coming from the underbody paneling as a result of braking in reverse. I am specifically looking at the panel just behind the rear axle line that is supported by lightweight metal framing, and thus more susceptible to resonance. Just assumptions at this point, but I plan to install some sound dampening material on the topside of those panels to see if that helps. This is why the sound tends to linger moments after you stop braking and why it can temporarily go away when you have your brakes serviced. IMO, it's a design flaw. I will keep you posted as to the results of the dampening experiment.
Appreciate 2
      11-30-2023, 12:42 PM   #35
Shra1ZN
South Africa
Rep
Drives: F44 M235i

Garage List
2022 F44 M235i  [10.00]
I also have the same issue when reversing with full swing to the left. There is also a grinding noise on the brakes after cold start. I notified the dealer they checked the brakes and found the rear brakes down to 4mm in under 16000km/10000mi. Brakes were changed under warranty and they have not told me what the issue is.
I am awaiting a courtesy car from them to check the brakes and also a rattle in the roof.
Other than these 2 issues, I am truly enjoying this car, it is so much fun to drive.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2024, 06:49 PM   #36
mblaucoupe135
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i

Any update on this issue? My wife's car made this noise really bad during the recent cold snap recently so then I was thinking it might be temperature related. Also a few months ago I switched the pads to an aftermarket one and still get the mooing noise periodically.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2024, 08:07 AM   #37
Shra1ZN
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
2022 F44 M235i  [10.00]
Still waiting for a courtesy car from dealership.
Appreciate 1
      02-14-2024, 06:06 PM   #38
egorix
Rep
Drives: BMW M235 (F44)

Exactly the same happening on my car when going in reverse on a specific low speed. And the sound progressed to happen when moving forward after rear pads replacement. However it went away after around 1.5k km. When going in reverse - still happening. I guess this is not fixable thing. Or it doesn't need fixing.
Appreciate 1
      02-25-2024, 12:52 AM   #39
Shra1ZN
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
2022 F44 M235i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shra1ZN View Post
Still waiting for a courtesy car from dealership.
Finally got my car in.
They haven't told me what the problem is however they mentioned that they did a "2 Stage Compound" on the brakes, whatever that means.
Happy to say, the mooing went away.
However one week later the brakes are now squeeling like an old jalopy.
Can't win!!
Appreciate 1
      03-20-2024, 07:24 AM   #40
Nikysan
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i F44

I got this going in reverse a few times. Its a mystery across all forums!
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2024, 02:16 AM   #41
SnapperRoxGC
Rep
Drives: 2020 M235i GC

Eh, they are performance brakes. Any performance brakes when they are cold at low speed are going to sound questionable, ask anyone who owns a car with carbon ceramics. It's a minor 4 second long annoyance when I'm backing into my garage, and that's the extent of it for me.
Appreciate 1
Shra1ZN12.00