E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > "Sticky brakes"/Lurching/Soft Stop issue RESOLVED!!

06-18-2009, 07:23 PM   #1
deanmc
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Garage List
2006 325i  [10.00]
Exclamation "Sticky brakes"/Lurching/Soft Stop issue RESOLVED!!

There's been a lot of threads about this topic, but I just wanted to let you guys know that this is definitely a resolveable issue. I just got my car back from the dealership, after complaining to them that:

1) The car does not come to a smooth stop, even if I'm rolling very slow to a complete stop. The brakes seem to "bite" hard at the very end no matter how soft i step on the pedal.

2) The car will sometimes lurch or jerk forward after letting go of the brakes from a complete stop.

They addressed the issue, and I'm happy to report that my car does not lurch or brake wierd anymore! Here is what the SA wrote on my invoice:

"TEST DROVE VEHICLE WITH SHOP FOREMAN. FOUND MORE THAN LIKELY WHAT THE CUSTOMER COMPLAINT IS DUE TO THE SOFT STOP FEATURE. AS PER FEBRUARY ROUND TABLE, REMOVED SOFT STOP AS PER PROGRAMMING."

There was some discussion about this being a torque converter issue, but if you're experiencing this problem, you might want to look into having the soft stop feature disabled. I have absolutely no problems now coming to a soft, complete stop, and the car also does not lurch foward now after releasing the brakes.
      06-18-2009, 07:55 PM   #2
Vnak
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 E90 335i

Is this "soft stop" the same thing as the hill-assist feature?
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2009, 10:16 PM   #3
yoiko
First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 GTS

I always wondered why I couldn't stop smoothly on the 335i. I'll mention this problem to my service advisor at my next oil change, Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2009, 11:24 PM   #4
monacoblue335i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 335i, E46 M3

I thought it's because my car is new...6k miles... I'll mention it when I bring it in for low mileage oil change.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2009, 12:05 AM   #5
VTECaddict
Where'd my VTEC go?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330i 6MT

what exactly is this so called "soft stop" feature? i havent noticed weird braking on my 330
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2009, 12:22 AM   #6
blue2fire
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTECaddict View Post
what exactly is this so called "soft stop" feature? i havent noticed weird braking on my 330
Congratulations on the 330i!

How much did you pay for it?

BMW CCA
Member #420568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Murray View Post
Being a fan of Honda engines, I requested that they consider building for the F1 a 4.5 liter V10 or V12. I asked, I tried to persuade them, but in the end could not convince them to do it, and the McLaren F1 ended up with a BMW engine.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2009, 12:47 AM   #7
VTECaddict
Where'd my VTEC go?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2fire View Post
Congratulations on the 330i!

How much did you pay for it?
thanks! i paid too much.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2009, 12:54 AM   #8
adl320
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '91 E34 M5 Dinan Stroker

If I understand correctly, the soft stop feature basically does what a smooth driver should do during the last few feet of a stop. That is, lift slightly from the brake so that the stop is smooth without the jerk often felt if you just held the brake steady.

In my case, I don't know if it's soft stop or the hill assist. When I pull into my garage, I try to "creep" by feathering the brake the last few inches before I hit my wall. The brakes seem to grab slightly then let go a few tenth's of a second later. Minor annoyance but it is very noticeable. Never had this on my 328i.

Sound like comfort stop?

Aaron
      06-19-2009, 01:01 AM   #9
addicted2drums
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90

i have gotten used to lifting at a stop so i dont notice it so much anymore. but accelerating from a stop i found that if I slightly lift off the brakes, usually feel a slight lurch, the "hill assist" does not kick in.
      06-19-2009, 01:08 AM   #10
adl320
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '91 E34 M5 Dinan Stroker

Will give that a try. Sometimes if I'm sitting at a light with very light pressure on the brake, I can feel the car jump slightly against the brake pressure. This may be due to the A/C compressor though as the RPM changes slightly.

Aaron
      06-19-2009, 07:48 AM   #11
LJS330i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 335i

I have the same problem on my 09 335i. I am going to print this out and take it to my SA.

Thanks a lot!

LJS330i
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2009, 09:20 AM   #12
nonford
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d, 2019 X3

Well on my 07 335, when coming to a stop, it feels like you were just tapped in the butt, and you kind of jump forward. Also, this occurs on any slight incline, my driveway is on a incline, and I feel it often. Regardless, the SA called and said BMW is authorizing a new transmission for correction. This is on an auto, with 28k. Far from anything being called a soft stop for me.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2009, 09:27 AM   #13
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

I was having the issue when at a stop. I'd let off the brakes just a little (not enough to get the car moving forward again), and it would lurch forward a couple inches. Felt like I got rear ended. Took it in last November, and they reprogrammed my tansmission software, but it didn't go away.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2009, 10:05 PM   #14
JmanND
Rep
Drives: 328i

I have the same thing as this. Creeping up my drive way (slight incline) to park in the garage is when it's most noticable. Passengers always think i'm a shitty driver
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2009, 03:24 AM   #15
darkphantom
Banned
Rep
Drives: E93 335i

oh thank god, I always get annoyed at lights when I just let go of the brakes, there is a lurch forward...
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2009, 02:47 PM   #16
E90BlackBeauty
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 325xi

I was wondering why my car did this...i thought it was just a characteristic. Glad to hear about the fix!
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2009, 05:03 PM   #17
NoSoupForU
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 LCI 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanmc View Post
There's been a lot of threads about this topic, but I just wanted to let you guys know that this is definitely a resolveable issue. I just got my car back from the dealership, after complaining to them that:

1) The car does not come to a smooth stop, even if I'm rolling very slow to a complete stop. The brakes seem to "bite" hard at the very end no matter how soft i step on the pedal.

2) The car will sometimes lurch or jerk forward after letting go of the brakes from a complete stop.

They addressed the issue, and I'm happy to report that my car does not lurch or brake wierd anymore! Here is what the SA wrote on my invoice:

"TEST DROVE VEHICLE WITH SHOP FOREMAN. FOUND MORE THAN LIKELY WHAT THE CUSTOMER COMPLAINT IS DUE TO THE SOFT STOP FEATURE. AS PER FEBRUARY ROUND TABLE, REMOVED SOFT STOP AS PER PROGRAMMING."

There was some discussion about this being a torque converter issue, but if you're experiencing this problem, you might want to look into having the soft stop feature disabled. I have absolutely no problems now coming to a soft, complete stop, and the car also does not lurch foward now after releasing the brakes.
which dealer did you go to? i am from oc too and would like to get this fixed.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2009, 05:47 PM   #18
kaigoss69
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i

I am surprised nobody has suggested the "transmission reset trick". This involves getting in the car, putting in the key, pushing the start button (foot off the brake) so car goes into "A/C" mode, then pushing down and holding the accelerator pedal for about a minute.

I did this on my car and it worked like a charm. Used to have that "brake bite" when coming to a soft stop and "lurching" forward when lifting foot off the brake. Gone the minute after I did this "trick".

Somehow the transmission "learns" your driving style and makes some adjustments and it ends up pushing harder in idle causing these issues.

Just google BMW transmission reset or see this thread: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...=gearbox+reset
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2009, 06:26 PM   #19
nonford
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d, 2019 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaigoss69 View Post
I am surprised nobody has suggested the "transmission reset trick". This involves getting in the car, putting in the key, pushing the start button (foot off the brake) so car goes into "A/C" mode, then pushing down and holding the accelerator pedal for about a minute.

I did this on my car and it worked like a charm. Used to have that "brake bite" when coming to a soft stop and "lurching" forward when lifting foot off the brake. Gone the minute after I did this "trick".

Somehow the transmission "learns" your driving style and makes some adjustments and it ends up pushing harder in idle causing these issues.

Just google BMW transmission reset or see this thread: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...=gearbox+reset
In my case BMW says new transmission. Tried, done that and got the t-shirt...
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2009, 06:55 PM   #20
Bonefish
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335 Sedan

subscribing
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2009, 11:54 PM   #21
addicted2drums
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaigoss69 View Post

i have never gotten this to work. but i have learned to adapt to the brakes and not a problem anymore.
      06-23-2009, 03:33 AM   #22
deanmc
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Garage List
2006 325i  [10.00]
OK, so after four days of driving it around with the "comfort stop" or "soft stop" turned off, I can definitely say that the rolling to a complete stop is way better than before. It's still there, but the brakes don't bite as bad right before a full stop.

Unfortunately, the lurching after releasing the brakes is still there. I'm pretty convinced at this point that it's a torque converter issue with the auto trannies. It seems to be especially bad when I'm parking, inching forward. Anybody have luck resolving this?

By the way the work was done at Shelly BMW in Buena Park.