BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-20-2018, 01:33 PM   #23
Tlon
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeno View Post
Thanks. I do know how to ‘bounce’ back and forth but that is CarPlay mode with limited iDrive.

My memory is that CarPlay takes over media, phone, and navigation. My list is home, I think.

What you call programmable buttons is what I called favorites and that failed this morning. I already have phone numbers, radio stations, and nav destinations but I wanted to go straight to that specific settings like we could do with the F15.
Ah, bummer. I was hoping to try the favorites/programmable button trick tonight.

From what I can tell, you're absolutely right. CarPlay takes over phone and media and seems to offer an alternative to Nav. I've been able to use both Apple maps, Google Maps, and still go in and use the iDrive nav.

Either way, what I'm finding is that all this feels a bit arbitrary and buggy at times. I'd love to not have to worry at all about CarPlay. I had a better media mode in my 2015 X5.
Appreciate 1
Xeno315.00
      12-20-2018, 01:38 PM   #24
Tlon
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by salfeet84 View Post
So is it a no no on apps showing up on idrive like the old idrive system used to do? I had a 2016 X5M and when I connected my phone to the car using the usb cable and opened the connected app on my phone, apps like pandora and tunein radio used to show up on my car's screen.

Anybody heard of this feature coming back in the future?
I don't see them and was told by the CA that it's all through CarPlay now. It doesn't make a lot of sense that BMW would make a basic function like that only available through a separate subscription service. I get they charge for lots of these services, but this seems pretty fundamental.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 01:40 PM   #25
salfeet84
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X7 M60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tlon View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by salfeet84 View Post
So is it a no no on apps showing up on idrive like the old idrive system used to do? I had a 2016 X5M and when I connected my phone to the car using the usb cable and opened the connected app on my phone, apps like pandora and tunein radio used to show up on my car's screen.

Anybody heard of this feature coming back in the future?
I don't see them and was told by the CA that it's all through CarPlay now. It doesn't make a lot of sense that BMW would make a basic function like that only available through a separate subscription service. I get they charge for lots of these services, but this seems pretty fundamental.
Agreed, I used to like how I could control and move between radio station on tunein through idrive, and now apple carplay is glitchy on tunein for example... my dealer doesn't even know theres a .45 update out there, I'm taking it in next week and won't leave till they update it
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2018, 03:57 PM   #26
Xeno
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 M Sport 5.0i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herdalum View Post
I just say “apple car play” and it brings up the car play menu on mine. Then it says to select things manually.
I finally got a chance to try this today and it did not work for me. I tried by starting with "Hey BMW" then without before uttering "Apple CarPlay" but the response was something like no such device could be found.

Just to confirm that you selected CarPlay not iDrive in the settings when you gave this voice command, right?

Last edited by Xeno; 12-21-2018 at 06:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2018, 05:08 PM   #27
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeno View Post
I finally got a chance to try this today and it did not work for me. I tried by starting with "Hey BMW" then without before uttering "Apple CarPlay" but the response was something like no such device could be found.

Just to confirm that you selected iDrive not CarPlay in the settings when you gave this voice command, right?
No, I was connected via car play, not idrive. But I can toggle back and forth from car play to idrive navigation by speaking “car play” or “map”...
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2018, 06:00 PM   #28
Xeno
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 M Sport 5.0i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herdalum View Post
No, I was connected via car play, not idrive. But I can toggle back and forth from car play to idrive navigation by speaking “car play” or “map”...
Sorry, my sentence came out backwards.

And my search remains for a shortcut to change the settings from iDrive to CarPlay, not the limited iDrive one gets when CarPlay is active.
Appreciate 1
Tlon174.00
      04-02-2019, 11:35 PM   #29
J_Giraldo
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

I've had my X5 almost two weeks now and I left the dealership running Apple carplay. My genius actually commented how much better the idrive system was compared to carplay and boy was he right. I ran carplay for about a week...not happy with it. Running an iPhone 7 Plus configured as required to run carplay in the car, sometimes carplay would just stop working for no reason, music would stop mid-song, shut off, etc. Just too buggy. Switched back to iDrive and all is well.

Now, I do have a question for the rest of you out there. Does your iDrive switch immediately to USB if you connect your phone that way after being on bluetooth? Mine doesn't. No matter if it's going from bluetooth to USB or the other way. I have to manually select the phone and then it connects. My 2016 340i used to switch automatically and immediately without any prompts or actions on my part. I could go from bluetooth and connect it to usb and it would switch immediately. Likewise, I could be connected to usb, disconnect the cable and it would be on bluetooth immediately. Not the case with my new X5. Any ideas? And yes, I already removed the phone once and paired it again.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2019, 11:55 PM   #30
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 X5 35i, '20 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Giraldo View Post
Now, I do have a question for the rest of you out there. Does your iDrive switch immediately to USB if you connect your phone that way after being on bluetooth? Mine doesn't. No matter if it's going from bluetooth to USB or the other way. I have to manually select the phone and then it connects. My 2016 340i used to switch automatically and immediately without any prompts or actions on my part. I could go from bluetooth and connect it to usb and it would switch immediately. Likewise, I could be connected to usb, disconnect the cable and it would be on bluetooth immediately. Not the case with my new X5. Any ideas? And yes, I already removed the phone once and paired it again.

Thanks.
I'm interested in upgrading to the new X5, from our '16 X5. I have all of my music and podcasts saved on my phone and mostly just listen to that stuff instead of XM radio or any of that stuff. I tried Carplay once on a loaner car that was MY18 or something and I didn't like it much. I like the idrive system just fine. In my x5, I just plug my phone into the USB slot in the center armrest, and the idrive system recognizes it as a USB device, and I can play all my music. I use Siri to launch a shortcut to start the Overcast Podcasts app. Can I still do all of this in the new X5?
Appreciate 0