BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-26-2017, 12:32 PM   #23
Max Well
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 BG X3MC, '20 BSM X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobsM3Coupe View Post
Since BMW uses AGM batteries, I'm surprised that standing voltage (after removing battery tender and letting stand awhile) is only around 12.4-12.5 volts. AGM's I had in other vehicles always were at 12.8 or so. I wonder why the BMW one is low?
Have to show my ignorance here, BobsM3Coupe - I had never heard of 'AGM' batteries before and thought you were just referencing a brand! Absorbed Glass Mat Battery technology - https://www.solar-electric.com/learn...echnology.html for those who might not have known either. So I don't have any background to be able to answer your question, but I do know it likes to be on the trickle charger. About every other weekend I'll put it on for 36 hours or so (has been going about 30 hours straight this weekend and is still a solid red).

Thanks for another learning experience!
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2017, 06:21 PM   #24
bwcooper
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Well View Post
Have to show my ignorance here, BobsM3Coupe - I had never heard of 'AGM' batteries before and thought you were just referencing a brand! Absorbed Glass Mat Battery technology - https://www.solar-electric.com/learn...echnology.html for those who might not have known either. So I don't have any background to be able to answer your question, but I do know it likes to be on the trickle charger. About every other weekend I'll put it on for 36 hours or so (has been going about 30 hours straight this weekend and is still a solid red).

Thanks for another learning experience!
Where do you see the battery status on the car? I've looked through the owners manual and it doesn't say anything about how to check current voltage. There seems to be a gauge to the left of the gas mileage bar, though no explanation of what it means. I know I pulled the battery down pretty hard the first weekend I had the car as I spent a lot of time just downloading some CD's into the hard drive and learning how the car worked. But I think it has restored itself after a week of driving. I don't have the Exec package with the digital instrument cluster.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2017, 08:59 AM   #25
Max Well
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwcooper View Post
Where do you see the battery status on the car? I've looked through the owners manual and it doesn't say anything about how to check current voltage. There seems to be a gauge to the left of the gas mileage bar, though no explanation of what it means. I know I pulled the battery down pretty hard the first weekend I had the car as I spent a lot of time just downloading some CD's into the hard drive and learning how the car worked. But I think it has restored itself after a week of driving. I don't have the Exec package with the digital instrument cluster.
I have no idea, bwcooper, but interesting that this weekend I was thinking about that very thing - that it would be nice to have a gauge just like we have on our cell phones which shows % battery charge. Maybe it's there and we just haven't found it but I think it would be very helpful.

I've just gotten in the habit of trickle-charging every other weekend or so. This weekend's charging took 48 hours before I got a solid green, so I really don't know until I place it on charge.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2017, 11:41 AM   #26
bwcooper
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Well View Post
This weekend's charging took 48 hours before I got a solid green, so I really don't know until I place it on charge.
Ohhh! So the "solid green" was on your charger! Now it makes more sense.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2017, 11:48 AM   #27
BMWDude2018
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 5.0i

Garage List
2020 X5 M50i  [0.00]
2018 BMW X3 M40i  [0.00]
2014 BMW X5 5.0ix  [0.00]
I wonder if you can get the battery status from OBD2.

https://priuschat.com/threads/is-the...dapter.155587/
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2017, 12:13 PM   #28
sor
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX M60 Oxide

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWDude2018 View Post
I wonder if you can get the battery status from OBD2.

https://priuschat.com/threads/is-the...dapter.155587/
I bought an OBDII adapter, it might be a few days bug I can poke around and see if there's anything readily available. Might be a little inconvenient if it isn't readable via the OBDII smartphone apps.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2018, 10:37 PM   #29
dskurth
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

First the X3 m40i is awesome...but that said, there are a couple of things I WISH someone would have told me.

1. If you are used to a manual transmission, you are going to have to relearn how to drive up a very steep hill. The DTS wants to hesitate for up to 4 seconds, even if you press the gas pedal, use sport mode, change to manual mode..it is all the same. Then it surges. Turning of the DTS helps but is not a total solution. The gas pedal is just very very touchy. It takes a bit of practice after a manual.

2. If you get the hitch, you are going to lose the ability to control the cargo door with your foot.

3. If you get a spare tire, then you lose a place to store the cargo bar and get almost no hidden storage under the cargo floor and, only iky thing I have found thus far, the battery is immediately exposed if you remove the Styrofoam. (If someone has a solution to this...I am all ears. I sorta regret ordering the spare tire now).

Other than those items, I have had the joy of playing and relearning certain assumptions, after driving a manual for almost 30 year. Still, with LA traffic like it is going, not having to sit on the clutch is rather nice.
Attached Images

Last edited by dskurth; 05-14-2018 at 10:51 PM.. Reason: more data.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2018, 10:53 PM   #30
dskurth
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

First the X3 m40i is awesome...but that said, there are a couple of things I WISH someone would have told me.

1. If you are used to a manual transmission, you are going to have to relearn how to drive up a very steep hill. The DTS wants to hesitate for up to 4 seconds, even if you press the gas pedal, use sport mode, change to manual mode..it is all the same. Then it surges. Turning of the DTS helps but is not a total solution. The gas pedal is just very very touchy. It takes a bit of practice after a manual.

2. If you get the hitch, you are going to lose the ability to control the cargo door with your foot.

3. If you get a spare tire, then you lose a place to store the cargo bar and get almost no hidden storage under the cargo floor and, only iky thing I have found thus far, the battery is immediately exposed if you remove the Styrofoam. (If someone has a solution to this...I am all ears. I sorta regret ordering the spare tire now).

Other than those items, I have had the joy of playing and relearning certain assumptions, after driving a manual for almost 30 year. Still, with LA traffic like it is going, not having to sit on the clutch is rather nice.
      05-15-2018, 07:08 AM   #31
Max Well
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dskurth View Post
First the X3 m40i is awesome...but that said, there are a couple of things I WISH someone would have told me. ...

Welcome to the G01 Forum, dskurth, and pleased to hear you are enjoying your new X3 M40i.

Back in October I shared a fair amount of information after we received our G01 ( http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1434332 ). It became a rather lengthy thread as the G01 was significantly different than the 2nd Gen, and I wished to let others know about some of these changes while they awaitied arrival of their orders. Some of your concerns were discussed there. But as time has passed it has become buried down the list so newcomers may not have a chance to skim through it before they place their orders. The onus is on Dealerships and Sales Associates to share that information prospectively. Early on they were given a pass as the vehicle was so new that many had not even seen one as orders were being taken, but that excuse no longer flies.

Have fun in your new G01!
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2018, 04:16 PM   #32
Tony
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
1. If you are used to a manual transmission, you are going to have to relearn how to drive up a very steep hill. The DTS wants to hesitate for up to 4 seconds, even if you press the gas pedal, use sport mode, change to manual mode..it is all the same. Then it surges. Turning of the DTS helps but is not a total solution. The gas pedal is just very very touchy. It takes a bit of practice after a manual

I've never had this happen to me. 4 second delay? Every time I pressed the gas the car accelerated. And I live in an area with plenty of hills. I've never had any surges. The XF trans is far smoother and less jerky than the Twin-Clutch trans I had in my S3.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2018, 10:55 PM   #33
TxHornX3M40iGuy
TXHornX3M340iGuy
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White BMW X3 M40i

I'm not trying to be a jerk here, but I'm so tired of hearing people talk about no "M" steering wheel being a deal breaker...or even being that annoying. The wheel looks ok...and has an M on it, and if a little fatter. But beyond that, it's used to turn the wheels. As for the car being an upgrade over prior gen, that's a no brainer, unless you haven't driven the M40i. It's a driver's car, and it does that job very well. I've gotten a ton of looks, including when I blow by prior gen X3's and many newer x5's. And mine is a bit of a sleeper because I've changed all of the cerium gray (mirror caps, grills, etc) to painted BMW parts in black, and added black badging, roundels (edges no longer silver) and wheels.
As for the badges, just take them off and be done or change them. There are a million ways to fix these issues...
Appreciate 1
      05-16-2018, 12:15 AM   #34
Rbrown
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxHornX3M40iGuy View Post
I'm not trying to be a jerk here, but I'm so tired of hearing people talk about no "M" steering wheel being a deal breaker...or even being that annoying. The wheel looks ok...and has an M on it, and if a little fatter. But beyond that, it's used to turn the wheels. As for the car being an upgrade over prior gen, that's a no brainer, unless you haven't driven the M40i. It's a driver's car, and it does that job very well. I've gotten a ton of looks, including when I blow by prior gen X3's and many newer x5's. And mine is a bit of a sleeper because I've changed all of the cerium gray (mirror caps, grills, etc) to painted BMW parts in black, and added black badging, roundels (edges no longer silver) and wheels.
As for the badges, just take them off and be done or change them. There are a million ways to fix these issues...
Well said, totally agree.

Appreciate 1
      05-16-2018, 09:18 AM   #35
ParadigmDawg
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 AMG GLC63s

I came from a $120,000 GLE AMG 63s and I actually like the M40 better for daily driving. It's just a fun, zippy car and with a tune and intake, it's a beast.

I don't think I would be comfortable on long road trips as the seats(sport) seem too narrow and kind of hurt my butt.

I do wish the cabin didn't have so much noise my AMG was silent inside.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2018, 12:06 PM   #36
jjl
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 Porsche Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadigmDawg View Post
I came from a $120,000 GLE AMG 63s and I actually like the M40 better for daily driving. It's just a fun, zippy car and with a tune and intake, it's a beast.

I don't think I would be comfortable on long road trips as the seats(sport) seem too narrow and kind of hurt my butt.

I do wish the cabin didn't have so much noise my AMG was silent inside.
Coming from any really high end vehicle like your GLE 63 you're definitely taking a step down in terms of luxury..i even feel it compared to my former X5...things like leather and stitch quality and plushness of the interior overall, interior noise, wiper blade quality, etc. That said, I friggin love the M40i and wouldn't trade it for an X5 any day of the week.
'18 X3 M40i Carbon Black/Cognac
'15 X5 xDrive 30i M Sport Space Gray/Mocha
Appreciate 1
      05-16-2018, 12:26 PM   #37
Siouxbie
Rep
Drives: Future X3 M

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxHornX3M40iGuy View Post
There is no M on the wheel.
Appreciate 1
ZHPsedan135.50
      05-16-2018, 12:48 PM   #38
ParadigmDawg
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 AMG GLC63s

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjl View Post
Coming from any really high end vehicle like your GLE 63 you're definitely taking a step down in terms of luxury..i even feel it compared to my former X5...things like leather and stitch quality and plushness of the interior overall, interior noise, wiper blade quality, etc. That said, I friggin love the M40i and wouldn't trade it for an X5 any day of the week.
Yep, something had to give at 1/2 the price. I sleep better having this car vs the one that was so much more money.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2018, 05:48 PM   #39
MarkyM
Major
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:

Quote:

I just got mine a few days ago and reading manual today noticed it said if you are pulling away on a incline the brakes will stay on for 2 seconds to prevent rolling backwards, I wonder if that is what you are experiencing, on a manual you can use the clutch to control the pull away which is one of the downsides of a auto but I find the upsides far outweigh that sort of niggle
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2018, 07:13 PM   #40
kyoko
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F80, G01

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
New X3 owner as well. So far the X3 is pretty sweet. Not sure if people have said this before but I noticed that the B58 engine gets to temp A LOT quicker than my other cars (N55) about 2-3x as fast. Is that what other people are noticing as well.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2018, 04:00 PM   #41
ZHPsedan
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 750i

Garage List
2022 BMW 750i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyoko View Post
New X3 owner as well. So far the X3 is pretty sweet. Not sure if people have said this before but I noticed that the B58 engine gets to temp A LOT quicker than my other cars (N55) about 2-3x as fast. Is that what other people are noticing as well.

Apparently they have encapsulated the engine with insulation to the point that it retains heat extremely well. That and the fancy valved water pump loops to heat everything up as quickly as possible. I agree with you.
Appreciate 1
kyoko41.50