E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > installing springs in vancouver..

03-01-2007, 05:05 PM   #1
borsalino
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW e90 328i

installing springs in vancouver..

just wondering where ppl have gotten their lowering springs installed in the vancouver area? I'm planning on buying the h&r sport springs and don't no where to get them installed.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2007, 06:26 PM   #2
borsalino
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

I got a quote from brian jessel and they want $750 plus taxes this includes alignment. Does this seem like a reasonable price?
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2007, 06:29 PM   #3
ehhhwik
Brigadier General
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 09' BMW 335d, 07' BMW E92 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsalino View Post
I got a quote from brian jessel and they want $750 plus taxes this includes alignment. Does this seem like a reasonable price?
HELL NO! i got mine installation done for $180 (cash, no taxes) with no alignment, which is like extra $100

Retired: 07' E92 328i (Jet Black)
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2007, 06:31 PM   #4
borsalino
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

where did u get them installed?
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2007, 06:33 PM   #5
borsalino
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Also, the people at brian jessel told me it takes 5-6hours to install the springs. I think that is over exaggerated a little.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2007, 06:35 PM   #6
ehhhwik
Brigadier General
Hong Kong
Rep

PM'd

Appreciate 0
      03-01-2007, 06:37 PM   #7
Lewis@MWDesign
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW Z4 3.5i 6spd

Many shops have said that it takes a lot longer to do a spring install on E90/E92s because of the way the chassis is setup. I know dealerships charge a 5-6 hours of labor for springs install alone. However we recommend going to CG Motorsports, they specialize in BMW/VWs only.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2007, 11:43 AM   #8
paullo
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: ThreeThreeFive

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.00]
H&R Springs

So,.. if someone were say, hypotheticaly interested in installing springs, what might one pay for springs & install - assuming they went to the right shops and bought the right springs from the right store? And how different are they going to be to bmw sport suspension springs?

Just curious
      03-02-2007, 11:54 AM   #9
Lewis@MWDesign
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by paullo View Post
So,.. if someone were say, hypotheticaly interested in installing springs, what might one pay for springs & install - assuming they went to the right shops and bought the right springs from the right store? And how different are they going to be to bmw sport suspension springs?

Just curious
Aftermarket springs like H&R or Eibach gives the car a lower stance giving it a better look and handling because of its lower stance. Bodyroll would be reduced but ride is slightly compromised. Stock shocks setup are not made to withstand lowered springs in the long run. Its better on European cars like BMWs but on typical Japanese applications, you can feel the ride comfort rapidly decreasing and finally you won't feel the shocks absorb any shock at all. That's when you know your shocks are pretty much gone...

That is why we usually recommend people to consider a full shock/springs setup like Koni Yellows + Springs. That way you'll get the best performance and ride comfort while preventing long run damages to the chassis.

Costs wise on install, typically it'll cost around $400 for a good install + alignment. Alignments are crucial to prevent the vehicle from tramlining and unexpected damages like uneven tire wear.

Hope this little input helps guys.

Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2007, 02:31 PM   #10
paullo
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: ThreeThreeFive

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.00]
Thank You!

Lewis-

Wonderful explanation. Thank you! I really hope you (and anyone else from your shop) can make it out to the next Vancouver Meet - YVR3. It would be really great to have a couple tuners/mechanically inclined people at the meet to field questions and possibly provide solutions to future mods. Myself included. I have a few more questions, but I'm sure it can wait until the meet. But I will sneak one in right now;

Coil Overs. I've seen a bunch of guys on the forums talking about coil-overs like they were God's gift to cars, is this true? Can it truly make that much of a difference?
      03-02-2007, 02:46 PM   #11
Lewis@MWDesign
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by paullo View Post
Lewis-

Wonderful explanation. Thank you! I really hope you (and anyone else from your shop) can make it out to the next Vancouver Meet - YVR3. It would be really great to have a couple tuners/mechanically inclined people at the meet to field questions and possibly provide solutions to future mods. Myself included. I have a few more questions, but I'm sure it can wait until the meet. But I will sneak one in right now;

Coil Overs. I've seen a bunch of guys on the forums talking about coil-overs like they were God's gift to cars, is this true? Can it truly make that much of a difference?
Coilovers are definitely the ideal alternative in terms of a suspension setup. Even within the conventional coilovers there are a 3 types of coilovers. The most popular type are the height adjustable coilovers with fixed ride meaning that you can only adjust the height while ride is fixed by the manufacturer specs. Next we have the height/ride adjustable which gives you more freedom to adjust to your ideal preference. Then we have the height/ride/spring rate adjustable coilovers which is basically the holy grail of coilovers, this is the ultimate coilover since you can adjust every aspect of your suspension - meant for the pure track enthusiast.

For the typical enthusiast, height adjustable coilovers are good enough in our professional opinion. Its price range is similar to a shocks/springs package while you get the height adjustable freedom. H&Rs or KWs are definitely our choices, personally had them, driven on them, driven hard on them and we love it. We usually try to test the products out ourselves before we recommend them you guys...

As for the meet, we'll be there for sure. We appreciate you guys' support for MW Design and we'll be there to answer all your questions. Our projekt car should be done by then and expect some giveaways as well so spread the word...stay tuned...
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2007, 03:06 PM   #12
Shamu
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 AW E92 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehhhwik View Post
PM'd
can you score me the same info please? i've got a set of HR sports sittin' in my living room right now ><
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2007, 03:07 PM   #13
ehhhwik
Brigadier General
Hong Kong
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamu View Post
can you score me the same info please? i've got a set of HR sports sittin' in my living room right now ><
PM'd

Appreciate 0