BMW 2-Series Gran Coupe
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 2 Series Gran Coupe Forum (F44) BMW 2 Series Gran Coupe (F44) General Discussion

01-29-2022, 05:34 PM   #1
jackknewman
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i xDrive Gran Coupe

Fuel range

When I collected my car on day 1 100% fuel tank had 431 miles of range. Today I’ve filled up 100% and it says 345miles.

The only explanation I can think of is the average MPG I’ve been getting recently which alters the fuel range?

Can anyone confirm or clarify this please?
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2022, 06:09 PM   #2
tamagohk
Rep
Drives: F44

It’s just an estimated calculation between the current usage and how much fuel you left in the tank.
Obviously your car will store your previous consumption and estimate with the same amount of fuel how far can you travel. The number will change if you floor/coast it for a while, or when you change driving modes.
You will also see the difference when you are driving on a slope, coz the fuel isn’t flat in the tank and tricked the sensor. In older cars you will even see the fuel dial changes, same concept though.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2022, 03:11 PM   #3
GunsmokeThomo
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 218 Gran Coupe M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackknewman View Post
When I collected my car on day 1 100% fuel tank had 431 miles of range. Today I’ve filled up 100% and it says 345miles.

The only explanation I can think of is the average MPG I’ve been getting recently which alters the fuel range?

Can anyone confirm or clarify this please?
Different quality of fuel? Maybe some supermarket suppliers charge less for lower grade.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2022, 05:40 AM   #4
cukeuk
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Series 2 GC M235i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunsmokeThomo View Post
Different quality of fuel? Maybe some supermarket suppliers charge less for lower grade.
All fuels in the UK are produced to the same standard, thus E10 whether it is sold by Shell, Esso or any supermarket are no different from each other.
It's got colder here in the UK, thus that has a marked effect on fuel consumption.

My M235i has gone from averaging 30 to 22mpg, all urban, all with using Tesco's Momentum, as these temperatures have dropped.

Of course in the USA the rules on fuel quality may be different.
      01-31-2022, 05:43 AM   #5
f44slegers
Private
Belgium
Rep
Drives: bmw f44

Its kinda normal that the range it "predicts" is based on your average from last tank... Like that should be common sence. No?
Appreciate 0