BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board

07-23-2006, 03:46 PM   #1
CMD
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Copy of Email regarding Immigration

My wife, Rosemary, wrote a wonderful letter to the editor of the OC Register which, of course, was not printed. So, I decided to "print" it myself by sending it out on the Internet. Pass it along if you feel so inclined.

(signed)
Dave LaBonte

Written in response to a series of letters to the editor in the Orange County [California]: Register

Dear Editor,

So many letter writers have based their arguments on how this land is made up of immigrants. Ernie Lujan for one, suggests we should tear down the Statute of Liberty because the people now in question aren't being treated the same as those who passed through Ellis Island and other ports of entry. Maybe we should turn to our history books and point out to people like Mr. Lujan why today's American is not willing to accept this new kind of immigrant any longer.

Back in 1900 when there was a rush from all areas of Europe to come to the United States, people had to get off a ship and stand in a long line in New York and be documented. Some would even get down on their hands and knees and kiss the ground. They made a pledge to uphold the laws and support their new country in good and bad times. They made learning English a primary rule in their new American households and some even changed their names to blend in with their new home. They had waved good bye to their birth place to give their children a new life and did everything in their power to help their children assimilate into one culture. Nothing was handed to them. No free lunches, no welfare, no labor laws to protect them. All they had were the skills and craftsmanship they had brought with them to trade for a future of prosperity. Most of their children came of age when World War II broke out.

My father fought along side men whose parents had come straight over from Germany, Italy, France and Japan. None of these 1st generation Americans ever gave any thought about what country their parents had come from. They were Americans fighting Hitler, Mussolini and the Emperor of Japan. They were defending the United States of America as one people. When we liberated France, no one in those villages was looking for the French American or the German American or the Irish American. The people of France saw only Americans. And we carried one flag that represented one country.

Not one of those immigrant sons would have thought about picking up another country's flag and waving it to represent who they were. It would have been a disgrace to their parents who had sacrificed so much to be here. These immigrants truly knew what it meant to be an American. They stirred the melting pot into one red, white and blue bowl.

And here we are in 2006 with a new kind of immigrant who wants the same rights and privileges. Only they want to achieve it by playing with a different set of rules, one that includes the entitlement card and a guarantee of being faithful to their mother country. I'm sorry, that's not what being an American is all about. I believe that the immigrants who landed on Ellis Island in the early 1900s deserve better than that for all the toil, hard work and sacrifice in raising future generations to create a land that has become a be icon for those legally searching for a better life. I think they would be appalled that they are being used as an example by those waving foreign country flags. And for that suggestion about taking down the Statute of Liberty, it happens to mean a lot to the citizens who are voting on the immigration bill. I wouldn't start talking about dismantling the United States just yet.

(signed)
Rosemary LaBonte

I posted this because I happen to agree with Mrs. LaBonte
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2006, 03:55 PM   #2
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMD
I posted this because I happen to agree with Mrs. LaBonte
+1
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2006, 03:59 PM   #3
Nikki
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sepang Z4MC

That is an excellent letter, and I also agree. My father's family changed their name to come here and worked very hard to make a living in Brooklyn. Not all, but many, of these new immigrants are simply trying to use our country for its benefits and have no desire whatsoever to be Americans.

Appreciate 0
      07-23-2006, 04:12 PM   #4
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

The American Dream used to be scraping up enough for you and your family to get here, with little more than the clothes on your back, and being given the opportunity to make it. These first generation immigrants worked their tails off to make it here, and swore allegiance to their new homeland.

That seems far different than what is happening (in large part) today. A lot of what is occurring today is due to the programs that are in place to give things away, with little or no effort, and minimal or no allegiance to the US.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2006, 04:15 PM   #5
Scarabeo
Private First Class
Italy
Rep
Drives: E90

People are on the move all over the world because of failed economies/states...Europe is facing a huge influx of North Africans...Until we figure out a way to get these countries up and running with the institutions we all take for granted, I don't see any way you are going to prevent illegal immigration. Lot of smoke and mirrors (the political debate) - nothing substantive because everybody is just effing clueless on what really needs to be done....
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2006, 04:29 PM   #6
MG_2006325i_KG
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Alpine White

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
That letter is perfect.....I will be CTRL+V that to many, many friends, family members, coworkers, enemies, ex's, and everyone in between....you know who you are.......
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2006, 04:38 PM   #7
CMD
Rep
n/a
Drives:

I am pleased to see such support for this lady's position, so far. To tell you the truth, it's gotten so politically incorrect to speak out in support of our country's un-enforced immigration laws, etc., that I half expected to get flamed for the post. I love this country and am deeply saddened to see our laws purposely ignored by our elected officials in the name of big (and small) business and big profit. (It's good for our economy, you know!) In the meantime we, the tax paying American citizens pay the price.

Last edited by CMD; 07-23-2006 at 06:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2006, 04:50 PM   #8
aapriadi
Colonel
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: '13 F30 AW 320i

i kinda see an irony with this whole immigration problem but here's my thoughts: america used to belong to the native indians right? hence the original language is supposedly indian (or whatever you call it, point is its the language that the native indians used for daily communication) instead of english am i correct?
i for one think that this letter is kinda insensible. those indians were driven out of their own country and by who? the immigrants or should i say the people who now call themselves american.
the only people who should be complaining about the immigration problem is the native indians, if there are any of them left. has the author ever think about putting herself in the shoes of the native indians? imagine what will they say when they read this letter?
      07-23-2006, 04:59 PM   #9
Scarabeo
Private First Class
Italy
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by aapriadi
i kinda see an irony with this whole immigration problem but here's my thoughts: america used to belong to the native indians right? hence the original language is supposedly indian (or whatever you call it, point is its the language that the native indians used for daily communication) instead of english am i correct?
i for one think that this letter is kinda insensible. those indians were driven out of their own country and by who? the immigrants or should i say the people who now call themselves american.
the only people who should be complaining about the immigration problem is the native indians, if there are any of them left. has the author ever think about putting herself in the shoes of the native indians? imagine what will they say when they read this letter?
If you want to go that far back one could also argue that the so-called Native Indians were also immigrants...at some point we all emigrated out of Africa and we have never stopped moving since those initial emmigrations....
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2006, 05:17 PM   #10
aapriadi
Colonel
Indonesia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarabeo
If you want to go that far back one could also argue that the so-called Native Indians were also immigrants...at some point we all emigrated out of Africa and we have never stopped moving since those initial emmigrations....
yeah thats true, i agree that we all came from africa. if so, then wth is the purpose of this letter? i cant see anythin other than she was probably pissed coz an illegal immigrant probably stole her job
      07-23-2006, 05:29 PM   #11
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Portal

Quote:
I knew someone would bring up the Native Americans.

Seriously, if you want to go that far back into history...
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2006, 05:43 PM   #12
aapriadi
Colonel
Indonesia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimshimhada
I knew someone would bring up the Native Americans.

Seriously, if you want to go that far back into history...

you read my mind shim
      07-23-2006, 05:45 PM   #13
CMD
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
i cant see anythin other than she was probably pissed coz an illegal immigrant probably stole her job
And if this were true, you don't think it would be legitimate grievance, and you also find it funny, is that right?

Then you're definitely part of the problem and not part of the solution.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2006, 05:51 PM   #14
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

We should make an underwater bubble prison and place all the illegals there.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2006, 05:56 PM   #15
aapriadi
Colonel
Indonesia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMD
And if this were true, you don't think it would be legitimate grievance, and you also find it funny, is that right?

Then you're definitely part of the problem and not part of the solution.
i am part of the problem dear moron! i'm a foreigner
      07-23-2006, 05:59 PM   #16
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Are you an illegal?
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2006, 06:02 PM   #17
aapriadi
Colonel
Indonesia
Rep

Quote:
Are you an illegal?
hell no! relax shim
i have a valid visa right here
      07-23-2006, 06:06 PM   #18
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
hell no! relax shim
i have a valid visa right here
I was about to whip out my paintball gun.

(To you sensitive people, no I really wouldn't randomly shoot paintballs at illegals)
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2006, 06:13 PM   #19
aapriadi
Colonel
Indonesia
Rep

Quote:
I was about to whip out my paintball gun.

(To you sensitive people, no I really wouldn't randomly shoot paintballs at illegals)

i'm out shim ttyl, gotta finish up my paper
      07-23-2006, 06:21 PM   #20
CMD
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Why are you name calling?

Why would you do that?

Anyway, are you here illegally?

Then yes, you are definitely part of the problem.

It's interesting that an illegal immigrant would feel comfortable coming here and then calling a citizen a moron. Says a lot about the person, no?
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2006, 06:31 PM   #21
jcase33
Obsessive
Rep
Drives: 2006 325xi

Thank your wife for me. Wonderful letter! Totally agree. I will spread it around.

:rocks:
      07-23-2006, 06:32 PM   #22
aapriadi
Colonel
Indonesia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMD
Why are you name calling?

Why would you do that?

Anyway, are you here illegally?

Then yes, you are definitely part of the problem.

It's interesting that an illegal immigrant would feel comfortable coming here and then calling a citizen a moron. Says a lot about the person, no?
its also interesting to see a citizen who was once an immigrant assuming that i'm part of the problem and an illegal immigrant

look i admit i was in the wrong ok, too bad i was bored and love to be an asshole sometimes? sorry there i said it? u happy?
good luck with the letter, send it out to everyone and maybe it will help america for the better
oh i'm movin to CA next year so u better show me around