F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > 3 and 4 Series Ordering / Pricing / Order Tracking Forum (and European Delivery) > BMW Not Accepting ED Orders
Extreme Powerhouse

10-16-2012, 10:58 PM   #1
Jackson743
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i M-Sport/EBII/ED 12/5

BMW Not Accepting ED Orders

Recently my dealership informed me BMW has slowed production and is not accepting any ED orders over dealer allotment. I'm quite disappointed. I thought possible ED customers may wish to know.

I don't know how long this situation is for. Maybe it's a winter thing.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 09:41 AM   #2
Tsuvoi
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 328i

Interesting that this hasn't received any replies... Has anybody head about such a thing? Are ED orders now going into allotment? This would be a big bummer for me since I'm looking to buy a 335 in ED...
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 09:49 AM   #3
darksilkx1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Monthly Payment

Quote:
Originally Posted by ft1337 View Post
Interesting that this hasn't received any replies... Has anybody head about such a thing? Are ED orders now going into allotment? This would be a big bummer for me since I'm looking to buy a 335 in ED...
I am right now in the process of placing an ED order with a dealer well known on this site - I have not been told any such thing.
      10-24-2012, 10:34 AM   #4
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i, 2018 M3 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson743 View Post
Recently my dealership informed me BMW has slowed production and is not accepting any ED orders over dealer allotment. I'm quite disappointed. I thought possible ED customers may wish to know.

I don't know how long this situation is for. Maybe it's a winter thing.
I couldn't confirm, but this sounds very much like it could be a BS move by the dealer to get you to use up one of their allocation spots and pay more money.

I have read that BMW is planning on re-routing production from EU slots to the USA for certain models to deal with the EU slowdown but I'm not sure if that would stop you from picking the car up in the EU vs picking it up in the USA. The only real difference between the ED and a regular dealer car is where you pick it up. It's still being made at the same factory and being shipped to the same place, so why would that have anything to do with the dealers allotment?

I'd throw up the BS flag.
      10-24-2012, 10:58 AM   #5
Tsuvoi
Banned
Rep

Ok, sounds better, unfortunately BS is a flag that has to be raised a lot with dealers. Hard to
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 08:29 PM   #6
Jackson743
Lieutenant
Rep

I phoned the BMW European hotline. They confirmed it. Production slowdown definitely 335i's. I think 328i's too, but I'm not 100% clear on that. I don't think I'm getting jerked around. On the contrary, if they give me ED on one of their allotted 335i's, that's pretty stand up. They could probably sell that 335i here in the US for more than they're selling to me.

335i's are hard to find.

I'm going to PM a couple of you guys.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 08:51 PM   #7
Jackson743
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberdemon View Post
I couldn't confirm, but this sounds very much like it could be a BS move by the dealer to get you to use up one of their allocation spots and pay more money.

I have read that BMW is planning on re-routing production from EU slots to the USA for certain models to deal with the EU slowdown but I'm not sure if that would stop you from picking the car up in the EU vs picking it up in the USA. The only real difference between the ED and a regular dealer car is where you pick it up. It's still being made at the same factory and being shipped to the same place, so why would that have anything to do with the dealers allotment?

I'd throw up the BS flag.
They've not asked me for more money or told me I need to add options or add'l packages. It's not a matter trying to get rid of an allotment car. Each dealer wants a bigger allotment, especially with 335i's because they are rare.

I read on Autoblog too that the EU is slowing and BMW's will be allotting more cars Asia and NA.

But I'm going to correct you on one thing. There is a major difference between ED and a US dealer allotted car. You can read this all over. Usually, dealers love ED sales because they don't lose an allotted car. It's an extra sale and usually a very happy loyal buyer. And BMW makes it extra rewarding for dealer and buyer. There's no motivation not to sell ED.

That's how I understand. Feel free to add because I'm certainly no expert.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2012, 09:30 AM   #8
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i, 2018 M3 Comp

Quote:
They've not asked me for more money or told me I need to add options or add'l packages. It's not a matter trying to get rid of an allotment car. Each dealer wants a bigger allotment, especially with 335i's because they are rare.

I read on Autoblog too that the EU is slowing and BMW's will be allotting more cars Asia and NA.

But I'm going to correct you on one thing. There is a major difference between ED and a US dealer allotted car. You can read this all over. Usually, dealers love ED sales because they don't lose an allotted car. It's an extra sale and usually a very happy loyal buyer. And BMW makes it extra rewarding for dealer and buyer. There's no motivation not to sell ED.

That's how I understand. Feel free to add because I'm certainly no expert.
I've read the same story, but several people have posted recently about ordering an ED car...

A production slowdown shouldn't impact where you pickup your vehicle. If BMW makes 10 cars or if they make 1000, the car should be popping out of Munich one way or another. Either you stop to visit it before it gets on the boat (ED) or you don't.

After reading a few more threads (at least on the M forums) it sounds like BMW may not be letting ED cars be considered outside of their allotment. Which means they'd be giving up an allocation slot for your ED and having to do so at ED pricing which stinks for them.

Have you tried contacting other dealers to see if they confirmed the same story?
      10-25-2012, 12:04 PM   #9
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

Quote:
I've read the same story, but several people have posted recently about ordering an ED car...

A production slowdown shouldn't impact where you pickup your vehicle. If BMW makes 10 cars or if they make 1000, the car should be popping out of Munich one way or another. Either you stop to visit it before it gets on the boat (ED) or you don't.

After reading a few more threads (at least on the M forums) it sounds like BMW may not be letting ED cars be considered outside of their allotment. Which means they'd be giving up an allocation slot for your ED and having to do so at ED pricing which stinks for them.

Have you tried contacting other dealers to see if they confirmed the same story?

It's plausible that it's at the request of the dealers. With so few allotments floating around to begin with, it does have a negative impact on them if production capacity is going toward filling ED orders as opposed to allotment slots for them. True, there's technically little difference how the car is delivered to the customer. But there IS a significant difference with respect to how the dealer is compensated and the margin the dealer can attain on said car.

Imagine being a dealer with a line of 6 customers wanting a car that you can't deliver because you don't have allotment. Since you can't fill their orders in a timely fashion they move on to other dealers. A stock sale has far more profit potential than an ED ever will. I can definitely see why they'd (the dealers) would want to put a hold on non-allotment fulfillment for a while.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2012, 08:50 PM   #10
Jackson743
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

No, I've not contacted another dealer. But, I certainly will if I don't get the deal we agree to. At this point, I've no reason to doubt them. I confirmed the ED orders outside of dealer allotment are on hold with the BMW European Hotline.

So, if I'm understanding your post, you read about M3 buyers having the same issue as me?

If the dealer follows through with our agreed deal, I'll do my best to refer more business their way because as you pointed out, they could say no to my ED order and sell that 335i in the US for more margin.

It's kind of odd. I'm trying to give a company $50k and I'm have difficulty doing it.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2012, 10:15 AM   #11
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

Quote:
No, I've not contacted another dealer. But, I certainly will if I don't get the deal we agree to. At this point, I've no reason to doubt them. I confirmed the ED orders outside of dealer allotment are on hold with the BMW European Hotline.

So, if I'm understanding your post, you read about M3 buyers having the same issue as me?

If the dealer follows through with our agreed deal, I'll do my best to refer more business their way because as you pointed out, they could say no to my ED order and sell that 335i in the US for more margin.

It's kind of odd. I'm trying to give a company $50k and I'm have difficulty doing it.
If I remember correctly, ALL M cars will come from allotment for ED orders. I think it's been that way for a while.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2012, 11:31 AM   #12
Tsuvoi
Banned
Rep

That is correct, all M cars have to come out of allotment, it was always that way. But from what Jackson says now 335 are also part of that group. Major major bummer.

I wonder how long this will last. I'm not convinced that this is due to the car sale slowdown in Europe. On the contrary, they might be trying to curb demand because they don't have enough production capacity in Munich (too many orders).
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2012, 08:09 AM   #13
Jackson743
Lieutenant
Rep

There is a reciprocal thread on where a guy in Pennsylvania asking the website administrator/internet sales person about the allotment question. He should know.

But, it sounds for the time being, 335'si (maybe 328i's) ED orders are coming out of dealer allotment.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 12:20 PM   #14
Tsuvoi
Banned
Rep

Just thought I would reply to this, so far I've been unable to confirm this rumor. Nobody was able to confirm it, including several dealers specializing in ED. It's either big BS or Jackson has got a major scoop and nobody else knows yet. BMW hotline *might* have been confused as often happens with hotlines.
Appreciate 0