BMW 2-Series Gran Coupe
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 2 Series Gran Coupe Forum (F44) BMW 2 Series Gran Coupe (F44) General Discussion

10-10-2020, 11:11 AM   #1
digi_T
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW G42 220i

First long trip in my 2gc

Just back from the first long trip in my 218i, 392 miles. Found it to be very comfortable and capable at motorway speeds, absolutely no issues just sitting at 75mph on cruise. Fuel consumption was pretty good, I got 53mpg overall and I wasn’t being that careful with the throttle, left home with a full tank and arrived with about 90 miles of range. I also had one passenger and a fair bit of luggage, a/c was on auto as well so without those I might have got an even better result.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2020, 12:56 PM   #2
LuCanBimmer
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M235i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by digi_T View Post
Just back from the first long trip in my 218i, 392 miles. Found it to be very comfortable and capable at motorway speeds, absolutely no issues just sitting at 75mph on cruise. Fuel consumption was pretty good, I got 53mpg overall and I wasn’t being that careful with the throttle, left home with a full tank and arrived with about 90 miles of range. I also had one passenger and a fair bit of luggage, a/c was on auto as well so without those I might have got an even better result.
Nice, did you see anything cool along the way?

I'm yet to do any significant driving in my M235i GC.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2020, 02:38 PM   #3
digi_T
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuCanBimmer View Post
Nice, did you see anything cool along the way?

I'm yet to do any significant driving in my M235i GC.
Most interesting things I saw were 3 other 2GCs! Nice to see them starting to appear on the roads.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2020, 05:31 PM   #4
Kothar
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 20 m235i gran coupe

Quote:
Most interesting things I saw were 3 other 2GCs! Nice to see them starting to appear on the roads.
In all my travels of 6500km I've seen only 1 other m235 gran coupe white. The 218i is that diesel or petrol variant? In NA we only get 228i or 235 petrol.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2020, 06:05 PM   #5
lilstevie
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW i5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kothar View Post
In all my travels of 6500km I've seen only 1 other m235 gran coupe white. The 218i is that diesel or petrol variant? In NA we only get 228i or 235 petrol.
If it ends in i it’s petrol and if it ends in d it’s diesel if that helps we’re still in lockdown conditions so not much travel at the moment but I’ve seen a 218i and m235i in the wild since I ordered mine, but given mine was only delivered a couple of days ago I haven’t seen one since delivery.

Quote:
I drove my wife to and picked her up from work the night my car was delivered as it’s pretty much one of the only valid reasons to go for a long drive, and got 110km round trip for each end of her shift, Australian roads with coarse chip aren’t that quiet on the 19” PZ4’s, but road noise is always a problem on those roads. I’ve used about 1/3 of a tank already, and while I’d like to wait until I can get a more accurate measure of consumption my trip sat at 6.1l/100km (~46.3mpg) according to iDrive. Not sure what you’re riding on but I have m-sport suspension (standard in AU) and 19’s which definitely will have an impact on economy
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2020, 02:37 AM   #6
Saladin12
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: On Order - 218i M Sport

Quote:
This is some great insight - 53mpg is pretty amazing considering it's rated in the mid 40s!

How did you find cabin noise on the motorway and rural roads (if you hit any)? Did you feel acceleration was fast enough?
Tech Pack, Comfort Pack, Driving Assistant
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2020, 03:06 AM   #7
lilstevie
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saladin12 View Post
How did you find cabin noise on the motorway and rural roads (if you hit any)? Did you feel acceleration was fast enough?
Can’t speak for UK conditions but on Australian highways it’s a little louder than our X1 but quieter than my previous Mazda 3. The harder m-sport suspension and 19’s are going to be part of that. As for the acceleration, not sure how Digi is treating theirs but my manual states to not push over 4500rpm for the first 2000km so I haven’t pushed it yet
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2020, 03:38 AM   #8
digi_T
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saladin12 View Post
This is some great insight - 53mpg is pretty amazing considering it's rated in the mid 40s!

Cabin noise was much quieter than my previous car which was a 2017 Skoda Superb, I’m surprised because the Skoda was a pretty decent motorway car and quiet on most types of road surface. The BMW handled really nicely on the rural sections, much more enjoyable than the big Skoda but I guess it’s not really a far comparison as they are very different cars.

Last edited by digi_T; 10-11-2020 at 03:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2020, 03:41 AM   #9
digi_T
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilstevie View Post
Can’t speak for UK conditions but on Australian highways it’s a little louder than our X1 but quieter than my previous Mazda 3. The harder m-sport suspension and 19’s are going to be part of that. As for the acceleration, not sure how Digi is treating theirs but my manual states to not push over 4500rpm for the first 2000km so I haven’t pushed it yet
My run in period ended on this trip, I’ve been super careful up to the recommended 1200 miles, after that you can increase the acceleration and speed. No problem accelerating to overtake traffic, auto box drops down nicely and the speed increase is pretty good for the engine size.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2020, 10:42 AM   #10
Saladin12
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: On Order - 218i M Sport

Quote:
Cabin noise was much quieter than my previous car which was a 2017 Skoda Superb, I’m surprised because the Skoda was a pretty decent motorway car and quiet on most types of road surface. The BMW handled really nicely on the rural sections, much more enjoyable than the big Skoda but I guess it’s not really a fair comparison as they are very different cars.
That's good to know. I'm currently driving a Ford Focus (61 plate) - safe to assume that the 2GC will have a quieter cabin than an almost 10 year old car.
Tech Pack, Comfort Pack, Driving Assistant
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 09:23 AM   #11
J-RO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M240ix

How do you find out your average fuel ratings? In Idrive 6.0 you could access it through Idrive. I can't find it on Idrive 7.0. Am I missing something?
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 06:52 PM   #12
lilstevie
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-RO View Post
How do you find out your average fuel ratings? In Idrive 6.0 you could access it through Idrive. I can't find it on Idrive 7.0. Am I missing something?
It’s on one of the tiles you can put on the Home Screen, like everything it’s not as accurate as doing the calculations based on actual fuel usage, but it’s reasonably close.
Appreciate 0