BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-23-2012, 08:33 PM   #1
M-PWR
Rep
Drives: 120i Hatch|E36 328i

DIY Request/Ideas: Carpet/Interior swap

Hi all,
Just picked up my e87 a few days ago and just became a member 1 Addicts.
I was shopping around for a late model E30 coupe as a daily when I was placed in a situation where I had the opportunity to buy a 2005 120i for a REALLY good price...
The car has slight hail damage and had a few windows broken and has dents all over the roof and bonnet and about 2 or 3 on some other panels. Having a good relationship with an ex-BMW panel beater who owns his own shop now I could not resist buying a car that once fixed up would be on road costing me less than half of its market value!
I grabbed the windows from a wrecker and chucked them in within the first hours of owning car.

Whilst at the wreckers I noticed another E87 coming off a tow truck with a new looking leather interior. I spoke to the owners and they are happy to sell the interior to me for a good price. Dash, center console, Seats, Door cards, all trim, Carpet, roof lining, pillars etc.

I've already had to pull the center console of the car apart because soemthing was stuck in the ashtray and the only way to get it out was pull everything apart. I'm very new to the 1 series scene but have a lot of experience with all the 3 series except the E9x.

So I'm seeking the experts advice I'll post some photos of my interior and the interior ill be purchasing (which has only done 35,000KM!)

So enough of the boring stuff here are the 2 interiors:

Appreciate 0
      02-23-2012, 09:37 PM   #2
Harlequin
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F32 Coupé

Garage List
It's a big job but I reckon it's definitely worth doing.. I'd say the hardest parts would be the Centre Console and the Roof liner... and you already know how to do the centre console...

Carpet would be a bitch it it was the ONLY thing you are changing but you've got to pull everything else out anyway...

Door cards are a 5 minute job...

...only other thing I'd be worried about is the airbags in the pillars...

I'm not an expert though... there may be other things that I don't know about...

I say go for it.

Last edited by Harlequin; 02-23-2012 at 09:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2012, 06:59 AM   #3
M-PWR
Rep

well the good thing is the roof liner is exactly the same in both cars (both grey) so I will probably keep that as it is. As we the dash, I will only be changing the dash I will be changing the lower part of the dash which is composed of a few smaller pieces and isnt as difficult as pulling out the actual dash itself! my only challenge is the carpet. The current carpet is black, the other cars carpet is grey. Im worried that the new carpet wont fit/sit correctly. Do you think I could get away with keeping it black and changing absolutely everything else? I would actually prefer a darker carpet personally.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2012, 07:26 AM   #4
pinmagic
The Only Sane One Here
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i Convertible

Nothing wrong with black carpet on a gray interior. I think it breaks up all the gray - should look good.
      03-15-2012, 07:16 PM   #5
M-PWR
Rep

I performed the interior swap a few days ago, it was easier than I had thought...
here's a few quick photos of the job
Attached Images

03-15-2012, 07:52 PM   #6
Harlequin
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F32 Coupé

Garage List
Looks great mate. 1000 times better that before. Well worth the effort.
      03-15-2012, 09:05 PM   #7
M-PWR
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlequin View Post
Looks great mate. 1000 times better that before. Well worth the effort.
thanks mate, all that is left is for me to figure out how to get the USB input running and ill be set!
      03-15-2012, 11:31 PM   #8
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Nice project and agreed it looks 1000 x better. Good job
Appreciate 0