E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Dension Gateway500.. read all the threads..some questions

01-14-2010, 02:53 PM   #1
vteec
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW

Dension Gateway500.. read all the threads..some questions

Hi

i have a dec 2005 330i se without i drive but with bmw professional that reads mp3's.

i have decided to install the Dension Gateway500 including the bluetooth (BTA1500) option to have handsfree buetooth phone system.

my car does not have a multi function steering wheel - i have a button with a telephone symbol on it on the BMW professional head unit, so am i right in thinking that with the dension fitted all i would have to do is press this button and scroll to the name i want to call all through the small hu's display?

do you think that everything will be functional and supported just like the oem blutooth accessory?

also my does not have a cd changer fitted but has cd changer preparation, will coding for cd changer enabling at the dealer be the only way to make this dension product to work? or can it be wired differently?

thanks

regards
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2010, 11:40 AM   #2
Boyd1963
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2011 320d e92

Garage List
Sep 2011 E92  [0.00]
I've been eagerly awaiting a response to this thread but maybe I will have to start it off.

I'm afraid that I know very little about the Dension Gateway but if it is anything like my Parrot Bluetooth you will not be able to use the phone on the dash to place or answer calls. Please shoot me down if anybody knows better.

Also with the Parrot I get a message on the radio display saying that the phone is active and that is it. No caller number or anything useful like the OEM Bluetooth kit. I have got the multi function steering wheel and fortunately I can use it to answer and place calls. The Parrot has also got voice recognition so I just say the name of the person i want to call and it does it automatically. (This all had to be configured one number at a time)

Would be very intersted to know what the Dension ipod interface is like and how it compares to the BMW one.

I am pretty sure that you will need the coding changed so that you get CDC as an option on your display. This will be how you operate the Dension.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2010, 01:36 AM   #3
vteec
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW

i am still undecided but i have done some research and it looks like the dension is a 'replica' of the bmw oem, in the sense that all the button on the dash will work as if i had ordered the car with bluetooth from day one.

my disadvantage is that without the multifunction steering wheel it gets a bit fiddly to choose a number from the small oem screen, scroll line by line and call.....

i like the parrot mki9200 a lot but on the other hand i am a bit concerned in taking my car apart because this is my first 'rattle free' car and it means a lot in potholed infested Malta

did you have any problems after fitting the parrot as regards rattles etc ?

thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2010, 08:35 AM   #4
Boyd1963
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2011 320d e92

Garage List
Sep 2011 E92  [0.00]
Don't get me started on rattles!. My car has rattled since the day I got it and having the dash taken apart multiple times has not helped. To be fair the guy that put my Parrot Bluetooth in did a good job and did not make it any worse.

If you are really bothered by rattles (like me) my honest advice would be to not bother. You will be listening out for them after the bluetooth is installed and will probably hear noises that have been there all along. I just keep my music good and loud now so that i cant hear anything.

If you do decide to go for it I think that the Dension (or Ombridge) may be the best option especially if you can control the calls from the radio. It will save you from having a Parrot controller on the dash and you will also get the ipod and usb interface as a bonus. I'd be keen to know what the dension interface looks like on a non-idrive car but have been unable to find any photos.

The car will definitely need recoding.
Appreciate 0