BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > M2 Weight???

05-02-2017, 08:51 PM   #67
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jevi Javi View Post
Not sure. But should be more than 50 pounds.

US spec is 3450 manual and 3515 for DCT.

This European car weighed more than yours

http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...3#post21646503
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2017, 04:36 PM   #68
Jevi Javi
Second Lieutenant
Dominican Republic
Rep
Drives: e46 M3 + G05 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post

my car is euro spec. Another forum member weighed the M2 with half a tank of gas. And got a similar result to what I got.

How are these cars "test" weighed???

Or maybe we were tricked into believing they are heavier than what they really are?
      05-03-2017, 04:40 PM   #69
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

my car is euro spec. Another forum member weighed the M2 with half a tank of gas. And got a similar result to what I got.

Or maybe we were tricked into believing they are heavier than what they really are?
No idea. I've given up on the manufacturer weights, particularly the european ones and prefer to wait for magazine tests where they at least will use the same test procedures across all vehicles.

I am definitely curious how the cars in the test trio were measure.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2017, 05:33 PM   #70
m34m
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Quote:

I've never believed the car was heavy as is the pervasive belief. There is so much variation in how weight is reported from US curb weight to EU curb weight and EU DIN weight. Of course each time I make this point I get argued into the ground on this forum. Straight from the BMW Canada website (I'm sure the stats are identical for US cars) it says for a manual car:

1565kg (3443lbs) INCLUDES 90% fuel and 68kg for driver and 7kg for luggage. Meaning without driver and luggage and WITH 90% fuel it's 1490kg or 3278 lbs.

The fact that guys are weighing their cars and coming up with "surprising" numbers is not really a surprise.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-04-2017, 09:06 AM   #71
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m34m View Post
Quote:
Quote:

I've never believed the car was heavy as is the pervasive belief. There is so much variation in how weight is reported from US curb weight to EU curb weight and EU DIN weight. Of course each time I make this point I get argued into the ground on this forum. Straight from the BMW Canada website (I'm sure the stats are identical for US cars) it says for a manual car:

1565kg (3443lbs) INCLUDES 90% fuel and 68kg for driver and 7kg for luggage. Meaning without driver and luggage and WITH 90% fuel it's 1490kg or 3278 lbs.

The fact that guys are weighing their cars and coming up with "surprising" numbers is not really a surprise.

I'm curious to see how you feel about how the test car in the comparison link weighed in at 1557kg (3432 lbs ) with no driver , if per your math, a vehicle with 90% fuel and no driver weighs 3278 lbs.

I'm gonna presume that no luggage was involved ...

By all means , do the math and start with their pervasive belief of 1557kg ..
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2017, 12:02 PM   #72
Jevi Javi
Second Lieutenant
Dominican Republic
Rep

Quote:

Ok. So now with this info. My M2 weighs more than it actually should.

Euro UNLADEN weight for the manual is 1570 KG or 3461 lbs.

My car with half a tank (no driver) was 3357 lbs.
My M2 w/o fuel, should have been: 3315 lbs.
According to BMW it should have been 3220 lbs.

WTF BMW!

Last edited by Jevi Javi; 05-04-2017 at 01:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2017, 01:41 PM   #73
Jevi Javi
Second Lieutenant
Dominican Republic
Rep

Quote:
No idea. I've given up on the manufacturer weights, particularly the european ones and prefer to wait for magazine tests where they at least will use the same test procedures across all vehicles.

I am definitely curious how the cars in the test trio were measure.
well, I'm still confused...
      05-04-2017, 03:09 PM   #74
m34m
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I'm curious to see how you feel about how the test car in the comparison link weighed in at 1557kg (3432 lbs ) with no driver , if per your math, a vehicle with 90% fuel and no driver weighs 3278 lbs.

No need for you to be curious about how I feel. And don't puzzle yourself because those aren't my calculations. I'd be very happy to provide you with the contact information for BMW Canada if you'd like so you can dispute the data on their website. Data which they obtain from headquarters in Germany.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2017, 03:15 PM   #75
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

No need for you to be curious about how I feel. And don't puzzle yourself because those aren't my calculations. I'd be very happy to provide you with the contact information for BMW Canada if you'd like so you can dispute the data on their website. Data which they obtain from headquarters in Germany.
You did the calculations above, correct.. : But when your math is questioned then you say .. " refer to website ! "

So in essence you are saying " I can't support the math that I did - disregard it. "

Which i certainly can do !
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2017, 07:13 PM   #76
m34m
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

You did the calculations above, correct.. : But when your math is questioned then you say .. " refer to website ! "

So in essence you are saying " I can't support the math that I did - disregard it. "

Which i certainly can do !
Oh man I really respect this forum and the members but you don't make it easy. The numbers in Kg were pulled right from the BMW Canada website. For the benefit of our American members I did a very basic conversion. Kg x 2.2 = lbs. Not exactly calculus my friend. None of it was interpreted by me it was as simple as taking numbers and doing a simple conversion. Does that help you?
Appreciate 0