F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Talk to me about the NC500
proTUNING Freaks

03-26-2024, 04:28 PM   #23
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pobsey View Post
I did it in 2016 in the first week of October, amazing scenery and was very little traffic. Think you’d need to avoid summer holidays and peak times to actually enjoy the trip.
First week in October might be a good option for us too.... certainly wont be earlier than the 20th Sept.... How were the midges
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2024, 04:53 PM   #24
Pond
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4, F31 and Z3 project

Apparently there is now a Welsh alternative. Central and Northern Wales has some spectacular scenery and pretty good roads IIRC.

I must admit that John O' Groats was extremely underwhelming for me. But that was 35 years ago before the NC500 'marketing machine' had been thought of.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2024, 05:03 PM   #25
Armaan
Major
Rep
Drives: F30 320i Sport Remapped

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post
I'm thinking from what people are saying that maybe skipping the Jo'G to Inverness bit is maybe one option, and sticking around the nicer bits around Inverness and the west coast and then doubling back and heading down the bits north of Glasgow and Edinburgh....
Loch Lomond, Fort William and the few parts around there were quite pleasant on the way back, especially if you get good weather.

If you can, a day or two on the Isle of Skye - very scenic and quite a few places to see. There’s even a boat tour from there for half a day - whales are popular in the area.

A
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2024, 05:09 PM   #26
Pobsey
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 F31 330d / 2010 e87 118d

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post
First week in October might be a good option for us too.... certainly wont be earlier than the 20th Sept.... How were the midges
They weren’t too bad, we also did a shortened version of the western side up the A836 the year after and went over the Skye. Need to do it again
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2024, 04:38 AM   #27
DB118D
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 118d Sport

There are a lot of alternatives sticking to the west coast

Glasgow(ish) > Loch Lomond > Glencoe/Fort William> Glenfinnan/Mallaig > Oban > Tarbert > Machrihanish/Campbeltown > Tarbert (take the ferry to Portavadie and stay there) > Arrochar > Glasgow

No idea how long all that would take, and I've left Skye off the list because in October everything is usually closed!
Appreciate 1
isleaiw18769.50
      03-27-2024, 07:50 AM   #28
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB118D View Post
There are a lot of alternatives sticking to the west coast

Glasgow(ish) > Loch Lomond > Glencoe/Fort William> Glenfinnan/Mallaig > Oban > Tarbert > Machrihanish/Campbeltown > Tarbert (take the ferry to Portavadie and stay there) > Arrochar > Glasgow

No idea how long all that would take, and I've left Skye off the list because in October everything is usually closed!
That sounds promising - it doesnt have to be the NC500 and I dont have to do jO'G, same as I do cornwall and dont bother with lands end!
Appreciate 1
DB118D1026.00
      03-28-2024, 01:29 AM   #29
G50
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31

I did the west coast of Scotland from Glasgow to Glencoe, to Skye for one night then up to Durness following the west side of the Nc500 route in Oct 2020 in a T6 camper. Was quiet but close to lockdowns so probably why. Was really good, amazing scenery.

Did a Scottish road trip in the car in August 2021, stopping in Fort William, Inverness, Oban and island of Barra in the outer Hebrides. We had a day out to Durness from Inverness, and I couldn't wait to get off the NC500 single track roads up there. It's not just getting stuck behind camper vans, it's having to stop every 500m to let one past coming the other way, it quickly grates and I can't imagine living up there and having to deal with that every time you go to the shop/work/anywhere. For that reason I won't go up that far again using the Nc500 roads, I don't want to be part of the problem.

I'd agree with D118D above, the best enjoyed parts of Scotland are Glen Coe, Fort William to Mallaig area(steam train trip over Glenfinnan is definitely worth it), Cambeltown peninsula area, Skye (take the boat trip from Elgol for some of the best views in Scotland in my opinion) and the west side of the Nc500 up to Kylesku Bridge - it goes single track after that and becomes painful.

Some of my favourite pics from the many times I've been up there, all these are without going up to the single track road areas.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
DB118D1026.00
isleaiw18769.50
SkyJawa3718.50
      03-28-2024, 03:24 AM   #30
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by G50 View Post
I did the west coast of Scotland from Glasgow to Glencoe, to Skye for one night then up to Durness following the west side of the Nc500 route in Oct 2020 in a T6 camper. Was quiet but close to lockdowns so probably why. Was really good, amazing scenery.

Did a Scottish road trip in the car in August 2021, stopping in Fort William, Inverness, Oban and island of Barra in the outer Hebrides. We had a day out to Durness from Inverness, and I couldn't wait to get off the NC500 single track roads up there. It's not just getting stuck behind camper vans, it's having to stop every 500m to let one past coming the other way, it quickly grates and I can't imagine living up there and having to deal with that every time you go to the shop/work/anywhere. For that reason I won't go up that far again using the Nc500 roads, I don't want to be part of the problem.

I'd agree with D118D above, the best enjoyed parts of Scotland are Glen Coe, Fort William to Mallaig area(steam train trip over Glenfinnan is definitely worth it), Cambeltown peninsula area, Skye (take the boat trip from Elgol for some of the best views in Scotland in my opinion) and the west side of the Nc500 up to Kylesku Bridge - it goes single track after that and becomes painful.

Some of my favourite pics from the many times I've been up there, all these are without going up to the single track road areas.
Great insight thanks, I feel a plan is coming together...
Appreciate 0