F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Range Rover prices, current bargains ??
proTUNING Freaks

03-08-2024, 11:08 AM   #23
boba-fett
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3

Thanks for the kind comments, I am not a dealer but do like a change of car or two (for me there is just to many to try and own than to stick with one for ages) Having said that I have not changed or swapped this out for anything, rather just added.

Last edited by boba-fett; 03-08-2024 at 12:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2024, 12:51 PM   #24
martin10chk
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 316i, F21 M135i (gone)

Well out of my league but very impressive!
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2024, 04:04 AM   #25
boba-fett
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin10chk View Post
Well out of my league but very impressive!
The earlier L494 are down to as little about £15k now. I know of a guy selling a 2016 Euro 6 Firenza Red Autobiography Dynamic, 46k miles, I previous owner and very high spec with HUD etc and he would let it go for £20k. Its mint with full LR history. Its a bargain!

He wants to keep it, but he is 24 and his insurance renewal price was £4800!
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2024, 10:12 AM   #26
Wolverine
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F36 420D GC M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by boba-fett View Post
The earlier L494 are down to as little about £15k now. I know of a guy selling a 2016 Euro 6 Firenza Red Autobiography Dynamic, 46k miles, I previous owner and very high spec with HUD etc and he would let it go for £20k. Its mint with full LR history. Its a bargain!

As it seems I might be able to insure one of these (all indications look like £1100 a year for me), and they’ve cropped up as a potential next vehicle to replace my 4er GC with something bigger, I’d happily receive the details of this one. He says, as he shoots off to scour Autotrader

No idea what they’re like to live with but that’s part of the adventure, right?!

Although SWMBO wants me to get another 7 seater…
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2024, 04:48 PM   #27
martin10chk
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 316i, F21 M135i (gone)

Quote:

That just sounds incredible. I have been over to AT and cannot see anything of that spec, age and mileage for less that £30k. Is that just an indication that the ones on AT are over-priced?
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2024, 01:36 AM   #28
boba-fett
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin10chk View Post
That just sounds incredible. I have been over to AT and cannot see anything of that spec, age and mileage for less that £30k. Is that just an indication that the ones on AT are over-priced?
Yes, most are dealers leaving them for sale at the 2023 prices before the drop.

I’ll text the guy, see if he is still selling the red one if there is someone iseriously interested as I did view it to buy myself but wanted a facelift. Its also had the full electric 7 seat option!
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2024, 03:41 AM   #29
davyk31
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS :-) & F40 M135i

Firenza red really suits them.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2024, 04:58 AM   #30
boba-fett
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyk31 View Post
Firenza red really suits them.
It does, one of the best, but a bit girlie!
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2024, 07:27 AM   #31
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

I was chatting to a neighbour yesterday - he has a Freelander and an Aston and has been wondering what to replace them with, including a RR.

This may be old news to some, but I was surprised.

Apparently the RRs, and many other models in the RR/LR model range are so easy to steal that pro theives no longer even need to do a relay attack. They just use a computer, WiFi connection to the vehicle, and an OBD connection once they’ve unlocked the doors.

Around 90 vehicles were being stolen each day, in London alone, and even JLR’s own insurance product (created because so few insurers would offer insurance) has been shut down.

Lots of people have been declined insurance and apparently premiums of £6K have been quoted in basic stuff like Freelanders, and up to £15/20K for RRs.

Needless to say, a RR is no longer being considered.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 1
335dX430.00
      03-10-2024, 07:35 AM   #32
E60525d
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330d M Sport LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsey View Post
I was chatting to a neighbour yesterday - he has a Freelander and an Aston and has been wondering what to replace them with, including a RR.

Apparently the RRs, and many other models in the RR/LR model range are so easy to steal that pro theives no longer even need to do a relay attack. They just use a computer, WiFi connection to the vehicle, and an OBD connection once they’ve unlocked the doors.

Around 90 vehicles were being stolen each day, in London alone, and even JLR’s own insurance product (created because so few insurers would offer insurance) has been shut down.

Lots of people have been declined insurance and apparently premiums of £6K have been quoted in basic stuff like Freelanders, and up to £15/20K for RRs.

All covered in this video

Appreciate 1
      03-10-2024, 08:42 AM   #33
TodmordenLad
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi A4 Avant

Quote:
Originally Posted by E60525d View Post
Good grief, why would you buy one of these cars, knowing this? The vulnerability to theft, the plummeting values, the bonkers insurance premiums.... Beats me.
      03-10-2024, 09:49 AM   #34
335dX
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Astra Hybrid | Corsa Ultimate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsey View Post

Yes, without being wanting to sound obtuse to you, (I'm really not,) this is old news.

It got to a point late last year where customers simply couldn't insure their cars after being insured for a number of years with the same company, they didn't want to write the business again because of the risk. No insurer, certainly in London would then write the business so customers were left unable to insure their cars. Thieves were also cutting open the tailgate to gain access to the necessary bits to steal them.

To a certain degree it has filtered over to the Jag market too - I sold an E-Pace to a customer who lived in London who bought the car and paid in full, only to pull the plug the day before collection due to his insurance quotes! Couldn't get a quote below £4K.

Also had similar with a customer with a Velar. He still purchased it but it still came back with an EGR fault LOL

I know JLR have issued a recall now to add further security to the back end of the system on RR's.

Then the head of JLR stated in the press that the insurers had blown it out of all proportion. No, your product is easily stolen!
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2024, 11:59 AM   #35
boba-fett
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TodmordenLad View Post
Good grief, why would you buy one of these cars, knowing this? The vulnerability to theft, the plummeting values, the bonkers insurance premiums.... Beats me.
You do realize this is applicable to most cars, especially with Comfort access. BMW's are no different?? You did watch the video and did you hear the bit that they can have any car, if they want it?? Range Rovers are just targeted because they are more desirable and put on a ship and go overseas to third world countries!
Appreciate 2
C320342.50
      03-10-2024, 12:10 PM   #36
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 840i GC + Mini Electric L3

Quote:
You do realize this is applicable to most cars, especially with Comfort access. BMW's are no different?? You did watch the video and did you hear the bit that they can have any car, if they want it?? Range Rovers are just targeted because they are more desirable and put on a ship and go overseas to third world countries!
I believe that Comfort Access stopped being an issue for BMWs built from March 2018 onwards. The keys go to sleep (so they can’t be relayed) if they haven’t moved for about 90 seconds. That’s certainly the case for my current and previous 8 Series and my current Mini as I’ve tested them.

I think it took BMW a couple of years to get their act together as I remember relay theft being a problem for them a few years ago.

Of course there may be other ways of stealing them that I’m not aware of.
Appreciate 2
Rukka2647.00
DaveA1873.50
      03-10-2024, 12:19 PM   #37
boba-fett
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD6 View Post
I believe that Comfort Access stopped being an issue for BMWs built from March 2018 onwards. The keys go to sleep (so they can’t be relayed) if they haven’t moved for about 90 seconds. That’s certainly the case for my current and previous 8 Series and my current Mini as I’ve tested them.

I think it took BMW a couple of years to get their act together as I remember relay theft being a problem for them a few years ago.

Unfortunately the reality is they will come in your house and get the keys. This is what is happening a lot in Birmingham, especially BMW's that are stolen for all the interior parts, seats, fancy lights, I-Drive systems and the likes.

I also thing think insurance cost and risk of theft MASSIVLEY depends on where you live and your Postcode.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2024, 12:26 PM   #38
six
Captain
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 50e

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD6 View Post

This is currently correct, the X5 was a pain to insure a few years back but BMW got on the case, before it became headline news.

I cross shopped the RRS with my new X5 and one of the main reasons to not go that way was the security and insurance implications. It’s bad enough trying to insure an EV or PHEV without it being so easy to steal.

I’m not currently aware of BMW being susceptible to a non-relay attack but it’s not to say it can’t/won’t happen.

Pretty impressed with the UWB integration now, I don’t ever use the key, it stays home in my old faraday pouch. I use my iPhone and/or Apple Watch and keep the NFC card in my wallet as a backup, works very well. Still get a nasty surprise when I put my hand in my pocket to check the key is there and it isn’t

Last edited by six; 03-10-2024 at 12:56 PM..
Appreciate 1
KRS_SN13529.50
      03-10-2024, 12:35 PM   #39
TodmordenLad
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi A4 Avant

Quote:
Fair point.
Watching the video was a shock, I'll be honest, as I hadn't appreciated how easy it was to pinch a car like that.
First things I did, however, when I bought my Audi recently was to disable comfort access in settings and to buy a new Faraday pouch 🥴
      03-10-2024, 12:51 PM   #40
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335dX View Post
Yes, without being wanting to sound obtuse to you, (I'm really not,) this is old news.

It got to a point late last year where customers simply couldn't insure their cars after being insured for a number of years with the same company, they didn't want to write the business again because of the risk. No insurer, certainly in London would then write the business so customers were left unable to insure their cars. Thieves were also cutting open the tailgate to gain access to the necessary bits to steal them.

To a certain degree it has filtered over to the Jag market too - I sold an E-Pace to a customer who lived in London who bought the car and paid in full, only to pull the plug the day before collection due to his insurance quotes! Couldn't get a quote below £4K.

Also had similar with a customer with a Velar. He still purchased it but it still came back with an EGR fault LOL

I know JLR have issued a recall now to add further security to the back end of the system on RR's.

Then the head of JLR stated in the press that the insurers had blown it out of all proportion. No, your product is easily stolen!
No offence. I've never been in the market for a LR or RR, so don't follow the detailed news. I knew security was/is a problem, but the scale of the thefts and the impact on insurance was an eye-opener.

Along with the unenviable reputation for unreliability, it makes me wonder how there's any demand for them.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2024, 01:47 PM   #41
davyk31
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS :-) & F40 M135i

When you look at the prices of used new shape RR I’m not sure they have plummeted that much.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2024, 02:13 PM   #42
un1eash
Captain
Rep
Drives: M235i

Friend has an a new SV hybrid and has to have a monitored tracker and no-go ghost type device for it to be covered on his fleet policy. It's been recalled twice for security updates already since July last year. For fun he checked on comparison sites and cheapest quote was £5970.
Striped for parts they can be worth upto £300k and they can put 3 in a container, 5 if already broken down.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2024, 04:16 PM   #43
Jon TDI
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 335d M Sport XD Touring

My advice is to stay well clear of any RR or JLR products.
      03-10-2024, 04:51 PM   #44
boba-fett
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon TDI View Post
My advice is to stay well clear of any RR or JLR products.
Based on what? You can’t take away that they are lovely things, and I’ve had nothing else that is as smooth and is a nicer place to be while coving miles.
Appreciate 0