F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Using handheld mobile while driving
Extreme Powerhouse

03-15-2024, 01:50 AM   #23
robbiep
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW e-Golf !

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD6 View Post
When they tightened up the law to make it an automatic 6 points plus fine for using a handheld mobile while driving, I thought that made sense. What makes less sense to me is that you are considered to be driving even if you’re stationary with the handbrake on, in a queue of traffic for example. You actually have to be parked for this not to apply.

I imagine the average police officer would be unlikely to try and enforce the law on those using the phone stuck in traffic, but YouTube, TikTok etc has made this a lucrative hobby for individuals like cyclingmikey who film people in that situation and submit it to the police. While posting the footage online for revenue presumably. He has 100k YouTube followers which I imagine means this hobby nets him a five figure income. I’m aware of his history and claimed motivation for doing what he does, but I’m not convinced.

I have zero sympathy for anyone caught using a mobile while actually driving, but quite a bit for those who are still at the time. It feels like this should be at most a much less serious offence.
The problem with the scenario you mention is that it has been shown, time and time again, that lots of people don't put the phone down when the queue of traffic starts moving - or they're so engrossed in their phone that they don't realise the traffic has moved, get 'beeped' by the car behind, and then drive off without looking around them.

Also, some police forces are also doing the 'officer on bike with camera' thing to catch people on their phones in traffic too. And I'm fine with it
Appreciate 1
      03-15-2024, 06:24 AM   #24
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 840i GC + Mini Electric L3

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiep View Post
The problem with the scenario you mention is that it has been shown, time and time again, that lots of people don't put the phone down when the queue of traffic starts moving - or they're so engrossed in their phone that they don't realise the traffic has moved, get 'beeped' by the car behind, and then drive off without looking around them.

Also, some police forces are also doing the 'officer on bike with camera' thing to catch people on their phones in traffic too. And I'm fine with it
It’s a fair point that people should be discouraged from using a phone while stuck in traffic for the reasons you mention. The issue I have is one of proportionality - making it a fixed 6 point penalty whether you’re stationary, or driving at 60 along a winding B road, is the concern. One is vastly more dangerous than the other, and yet your chance of being caught is a great deal higher when stationary, particularly with this new breed of YouTube vigilante who can profit from it.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2024, 05:48 PM   #25
robbiep
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD6 View Post
It’s a fair point that people should be discouraged from using a phone while stuck in traffic for the reasons you mention. The issue I have is one of proportionality - making it a fixed 6 point penalty whether you’re stationary, or driving at 60 along a winding B road, is the concern. One is vastly more dangerous than the other, and yet your chance of being caught is a great deal higher when stationary, particularly with this new breed of YouTube vigilante who can profit from it.
Wonder if I should tell you the 'One simple hack' to stop them making money off their youtube videos ?

Can you guess what it is ?
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2024, 06:16 PM   #26
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Quote:
Wonder if I should tell you the 'One simple hack' to stop them making money off their youtube videos ?

well obviously it would be if the world was perfect according to a cyclist. Of course in London and I imagine other major cities, the biggest problem are bikes who dont know or want to obey the rules of the road and a much greater threat than someone doing 0mph in a queue on his phone...
Appreciate 1
1 AKY459.00
      03-17-2024, 07:05 PM   #27
agentorange
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328d

Having nearly crashed trying to use the touchscreen in a previous car while moving, I consider them at least as dangerous as cellphones in a car. What staggers me is the number of people I see here using a cellphone in their hand in while driving a very modern car you know darned well has Bluetooth. Now somebody will pop up and say, "but what if it isn't their car?" A few points.

1) One of the people I've seen doing this during my commute is a multiple offender...in her 2020 or later Porsche Cayenne.

2) "It's not my car so I have to pick up my cellphone," is a non-excuse. Life will go on if you don't use your 'phone. Yes, really.

3) A Bluetooth headset allowing you to answer the cell hands free is a very cheap piece of kit these days. If you can afford a PCP and a cell you can afford one.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2024, 04:31 PM   #28
robbiep
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post
well obviously it would be if the world was perfect according to a cyclist. Of course in London and I imagine other major cities, the biggest problem are bikes who dont know or want to obey the rules of the road and a much greater threat than someone doing 0mph in a queue on his phone...
I agree, cyclists are a massive threat to road safety.

Because people on bikes in the UK kill, on average, 5 pedestrians every day.

Oh wait, no, that's car drivers. My bad.

Cyclists kill about 2 a year
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2024, 05:01 PM   #29
Pentland
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i (G42)

Quote:

Sounds like cyclist are a complete liability given their small numbers and number of miles traveled compared to cars.
Statistics are like bikinis. What they show is revealing. What they hide is vital.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2024, 05:01 PM   #30
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 840i GC + Mini Electric L3

Quote:

It’s not car drivers either - they kill about 1 pedestrian a day. But of course we would need to adjust for miles driven/ridden to make a useful comparison.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2024, 04:36 AM   #31
Kendo67
Major
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Me - 440i , Dog - Cayenne

Quote:

Play music , loud ,as it breaches copyright and they cant use the video footage.

If you want to see the lowest of the low then have a look at some of the "auditor" videos on YT. A twat with a camera exercising their legal rights to film in a public place whilst annoying people who are just working and trying to provoke a reaction in order to get "clicks / likes / subs" followed by some compensation, potentially loosing the victim their job should they overstep their remit.

K
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2024, 02:43 PM   #32
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:

If you are one of the two that would still be bad. And I have to dodge the f***ers every time I cross a road in London as red lights arent for them....

We all have our pet hates. Holding up traffic by not setting off quickly enough isnt going to kill anyone so that's hardly crime of the century either.

I would never condone using a mobile whilst driving and mine is hidden away where I cant touch it, but using it stationery in traffic is not the same as using it at 30mph in a built up area or at 56 on a dual carriageway driving a 40 tonner...
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2024, 02:45 PM   #33
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendo67 View Post
Play music , loud ,as it breaches copyright and they cant use the video footage.

If you want to see the lowest of the low then have a look at some of the "auditor" videos on YT. A twat with a camera exercising their legal rights to film in a public place whilst annoying people who are just working and trying to provoke a reaction in order to get "clicks / likes / subs" followed by some compensation, potentially loosing the victim their job should they overstep their remit.

K
ah, I've had the pleasure of them. He was really p***sed as we let him film as long as he wasnt on our property or showing any individual.... hardly got any clicks...
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2024, 02:51 PM   #34
Pentland
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i (G42)

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post
ah, I've had the pleasure of them. He was really p***sed as we let him film as long as he wasnt on our property or showing any individual.... hardly got any clicks...
Oh you let him act within the law did you.
Appreciate 0