F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Active cruise or Surround view
GetBMWParts

12-18-2013, 09:24 AM   #23
dazzapb
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3M Comp

Well it turns out my spec is locked in and I couldn't change it anyway

Still what a chap TRL is, said I could cancel and re-order.. that's customer service for you and they end up with my original order.. I have stuck with my mere 7k options

I was happy with my choices until the fine folks here made me want more options

Maybe next time... just for reference how effective is ACC in stop/start traffic say in London so crawling style then stop then crawl and so on?
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2013, 04:46 PM   #24
ll71
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 320D xDrive M Sport

Honestly, I'm not that impressed. It's a bit aggressive for me. I ordered it as I have it on my Merc, but it's not as sophisticated as the Mercedes system. Don't get me wrong it's ok, but it's not exactly going to save you a bundle of fuel, or make your life a lot more relaxed. For example the fuel economy I get is worse on the BMW in active cruise, but 3 mpg better in the Merc (which is saying something as it gets 21mpg otherwise).
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2013, 09:28 AM   #25
Jools-Devon
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 320d Touring

Few things to answer here

I have ACC - and think its great - I don't have surround view (only rear view and auto park)
I also have the driver assist package - which is the front camera in the windscreen - more on this later.....

So - ACC - great on the motorway - especially dark rainy nights when you are following someone in the fast lane..... it just constantly adjusts to their speed and is much faster to "see" them ease off the throttle and slow down a bit, without showing their break lights.

It does work in all traffic, right down to a stop. I use it in queues of traffic round town - you just have to watch that it doesn't follow someone through a red light, or into a yellow box!

If it has "stopped" - if its less than 2 seconds then it will pull away again when the car in front moves. If it is more than 2 secs, when the car ahead moves off, it will start the engine (if start/stop) and the "Car" in the Black Panel and HUD will flash. To move off tap the accelerator, or the "RES" button on the steering wheel.

The minimum speed that you can set is 20MPH - and I don't think you can set it when travelling slower than this. BUT....... You can set it when you are stationary!!! When you are stopped behind a car in a queue - just press "SET" and it will set 20MPH - and when the car in front moves off, just tap the accelerator to get you moving.

Now, the "Driver Assist" - This is the camera in the front windscreen, which most of the time is used for the lane departure warning. It also has the collision avoidance and pedestrian avoidance functions - and will warn if it thinks there is a possible collision first - and if you don't respond will then emergency break - to a standstill if needed.

So far, I have had the red car flash and the warning buzzer - on the motorway when someone cut in and braked - I don't think ACC was active at the time.

It hasn't needed to brake for me yet! I did ask one of my colleagues to stand in the car park whilst I tried to run him over to check the pedestrian avoidance - but he wouldn't play!
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2013, 09:38 AM   #26
Jools-Devon
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 320d Touring

Forgot to mention....

I live up a single track lane in the middle of Dartmoor - some mornings, when its a bit dark and I'm driving along the lane, Up pops a warning that the forward collision system is deactivated - because its confused with all the hedges!!
I clear the message, and the "!" remains in the dashboard - After about 5 mins on the dual carriageway it clears itself, and the "!" disappears.

The other time I had the "Red Car" collision warning activate was when I was approaching a cattle grid that is at the bottom of the hill. The ACC radar obviously picked it up as a big lump of car!!! - Its only done that once!
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2013, 10:40 AM   #27
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Definitely ACC, i would have loved it but was too much money.

I would not want surround view, completely pointless imo! I could park perfectly before i had parking sensors, now with parking sensors it's stupidly easy, and i just can't imagine why anyone would need even more help to park a car!

It's goes without saying that i also think the reverse camera and especially park assist is pointless too! If you need that much help just to park then you shouldn't be on the road!
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2013, 10:42 AM   #28
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
Definitely ACC, i would have loved it but was too much money.

I would not want surround view, completely pointless imo! I could park perfectly before i had parking sensors, now with parking sensors it's stupidly easy, and i just can't imagine why anyone would need even more help to park a car!

It's goes without saying that i also think the reverse camera and especially park assist is pointless too! If you need that much help just to park then you shouldn't be on the road!
Don't forget some on here let their other halfs drive the car. Might stop a marital?
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2013, 11:37 AM   #29
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
Don't forget some on here let their other halfs drive the car. Might stop a marital?
That's a good point!

However, my other half gets so confused by technology it would be more likely to cause her to have an accident!

Not that i'm going to let her drive my brand new BMW anyway!
Appreciate 0